Route to Tenby

Old January 27th 07, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian B

Default Route to Tenby

Hi all

We're off to Tenby later this year heading from Lancashire - Autoroute
gives the quickest route as M6/M5/M40 then onto A48/A40, the shorter
route (by about 95 miles) is heading South from Chester on the
A485/A40. I've never driven through that part of the country, any
advice on the latter route - hills, stop offs etc.

Thanks for any helpful advice

Ian B

Please reply to Newsgroup - Antispam applied

Old January 27th 07, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 15:08:52 GMT, "Ian B"
wrote:

Hi all

We're off to Tenby later this year heading from Lancashire - Autoroute
gives the quickest route as M6/M5/M40 then onto A48/A40, the shorter
route (by about 95 miles) is heading South from Chester on the
A485/A40. I've never driven through that part of the country, any
advice on the latter route - hills, stop offs etc.

Thanks for any helpful advice

The first route is a long way 281 miles from Rochdale and the second
has a very windy section that goes on for miles and miles and miles (
autoroute says 66 miles ) from Newtown to the A40, this is not a
recommended route by anyone who has driven it either solo or with a
van on the back. If you get behind anything which is going slower than
you on this bit of road then you have 66 miles to follow it there is
nowhere to overtake, and for most of it the road is fenced in by high
hedges with no view.
The easiest way from Lancashire is to go to Newtown via Wrexham,
Oswestry, and Welshpool and then to follow the signs to Aberystwyth
vis Llanidloes, and Llangurig ( don't take the road to devils bridge
which is signposted to Aberystwyth olong this route ) Then from
Aberystwyth follow the A487 down the coast to Cardigan and then take
the A478 down to Narberth and Kilgetty and then on to Tenby.
It's a pleasant ride with superb views, there are adequate places for
overtaking and any bits that are windy are not very long. I have been
many times and would not consider any other way. This is 219 miles
from Rochdale.

Bill Lord

Old January 27th 07, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lou Bricant

wrote:

[...]

I live in Pembrokeshire, but originally from South Manc so I have
travelled this journey many times. I would agree with Bill asolutely
word for word.
Lou Bricant
Old January 30th 07, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian B

(
[...]

Thanks Bill

Just had a look on Autoroute (putting 'via's' in to get your route)
and it looks a good alternative to Autoroutes suggested ones.
A friend suggested Penally Court Farm, looking at ukcampsite.co.uk it
is the campsite atthe North East end of town, but on yell.com it lists
this one as Penally Court Caravan Park, with Penally Court Farm being
about 300yds S.W. of this. Have you ever been to either (as you say
you have been many times) and can you confirm which is which.

Cheers
Ian B

p.s. From your reply re Rochdale, did you ever teach in Littleborough?

Please reply to Newsgroup - Antispam applied

Avoid paying premium phone rates -
http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

Old January 30th 07, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian B

"Lou Bricant" wrote in message
bill lord wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 15:08:52 GMT, "Ian B"
wrote:

snip
I live in Pembrokeshire, but originally from South Manc so I have
travelled this journey many times. I would agree with Bill asolutely
word for word.
Lou Bricant

Cheers for the confirmation Lou, I think I will be going by Bill's
recommended route, hopefully 'word for word' ;-)

Old January 30th 07, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 23:18:41 GMT, "Ian B"
wrote:

Thanks Bill

Just had a look on Autoroute (putting 'via's' in to get your route)
and it looks a good alternative to Autoroutes suggested ones.
A friend suggested Penally Court Farm, looking at ukcampsite.co.uk it
is the campsite atthe North East end of town, but on yell.com it lists
this one as Penally Court Caravan Park, with Penally Court Farm being
about 300yds S.W. of this. Have you ever been to either (as you say
you have been many times) and can you confirm which is which.

Cheers
Ian B

p.s. From your reply re Rochdale, did you ever teach in Littleborough?

God I can't escape anywhere. G Yes I did I spent 20 years there, now
all you have to do is tell me exactly who you are then I can tell all
the peeps on here all about you. G. I shal spend the next 24 hours
or more trying to put a name to Ian B, this is going to drive me mad.
If you decide to do that by e-mail please check my signature as I no
longer get any mail that is generated by simply clicking on reply by
e-mail, Mail to bill dot lord at uku dot co dot uk

I can't honestly say which caravan site is which I've never used them
I went down there a lot without a caravan in the 70's and 80's stoping
in various rented holiday houses. More recently I have been down a
couple of times with the caravan staying on CC CL's which is fine if
you don't want many facilities and don't mind being out in the
countryside a little way. We always teneded to choos to stop in the
Begelly or Kilgetty areas though if I went down again I would
probably go out towards Freshwater east.

Bill Lord

Old January 31st 07, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian B

"bill lord" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 23:18:41 GMT, "Ian B"
wrote:

snip
p.s. From your reply re Rochdale, did you ever teach in
Littleborough?

God I can't escape anywhere. G Yes I did I spent 20 years there,
now
all you have to do is tell me exactly who you are then I can tell
all
the peeps on here all about you. G. I shal spend the next 24 hours
or more trying to put a name to Ian B, this is going to drive me
mad.

lol - you have mail, I wouldn't want to bore the nice people here
reminiscing.

I can't honestly say which caravan site is which I've never used
them
I went down there a lot without a caravan in the 70's and 80's
stoping
in various rented holiday houses. More recently I have been down a
couple of times with the caravan staying on CC CL's which is fine if
you don't want many facilities and don't mind being out in the
countryside a little way. We always teneded to choos to stop in the
Begelly or Kilgetty areas though if I went down again I would
probably go out towards Freshwater east.

Cheers for all the info, we are heading down there with friends on a
recommendation so I will find out at Spring Bank.

Regards

Ian B

Bill Lord

No money, but maybe a pint at the Red Lion along with fellow tutor and
pupils sometime.

Old January 31st 07, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:26:20 GMT, "Ian B"
wrote:

lol - you have mail, I wouldn't want to bore the nice people here
reminiscing.

And I have answered it, definitely a voice from the past.

All the best

Bill Lord

Old February 11th 07, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The Doctor's Apprentice

I'd be inclined to take M6, M5, M50 then head to the M4 (westbound) until
its end (Pont Abraham services J48?), then A48 to Tenby. On the return trip,
stay on the M4 across the severn bridge then M5, M6. The road is better and
you only pay the toll on the bridge when entering Wales, so take the bridge
on the way home for free. It is not the shortest route, but is the quickest
and most economical IME.

Old February 11th 07, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 21:48:22 -0000, "The Doctor's Apprentice"
wrote:

I'd be inclined to take M6, M5, M50 then head to the M4 (westbound) until
its end (Pont Abraham services J48?), then A48 to Tenby. On the return trip,
stay on the M4 across the severn bridge then M5, M6. The road is better and
you only pay the toll on the bridge when entering Wales, so take the bridge
on the way home for free. It is not the shortest route, but is the quickest
and most economical IME

You must be joking, have you ever driven all the alternative routes.
That route from Rochdale is 320 miles which towing a caravan is going
to take approx 7 hours driving legally with a caravan on the back, in
addition I would use at least 10 gallons of diesel. Going via
Aberystwyth there is just over 5 hours of driving and I would use
about 7 gallons of fuel.
Over the last 37 years I have tried every combination of routes that I
can reasonably come up with including the one you suggest above and
that one is the very last route I would consider.

Bill Lord