Wondering

Old January 30th 07, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Spanner

Default Wondering

Hello
I have a yearning to buy a caravan, just for the wife and myself, not a
large one, but well equipped. Not more than 20 ft long because of the length
of my drive.
The point is we are in our seventies, do you think it would be wrong to
start now?
Gordon

Old January 30th 07, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:27:05 -0000, "Spanner"
wrote:

Hello
I have a yearning to buy a caravan, just for the wife and myself, not a
large one, but well equipped. Not more than 20 ft long because of the length
of my drive.
The point is we are in our seventies, do you think it would be wrong to
start now?
Gordon

No, but you would be as well buying cheaply to start off with just to
see how you go on.

Bill Lord

Old January 30th 07, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Gordon, I would try hiring one for a week or so first and see how you get
on. My wife and I are in our seventies and have caravanned since we were
married 50 years ago so we are well used to it.
Our caravan has a motor mover fitted so in theory should not be too
difficult to manoeuvre etc but increasingly we are finding that the hassle
of loading it, coupling up, setting up and most of all unloading and sorting
out when we get home is becoming just too much bother.
We intend to try it again this year but think that this may be our last year
caravanning despite our love for it. Quite frankly package holidays, hotels
and especially time shares are a lot less bother. We are fortunate in that
we through "Dial an Exchange" we can get as many time shares a year as we
wish and find that they are about the same cost per week as touring caravan
sites.

Old January 30th 07, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
smiler

"Spanner" wrote in message
Hello
I have a yearning to buy a caravan, just for the wife and myself, not a
large one, but well equipped. Not more than 20 ft long because of the
length of my drive.
The point is we are in our seventies, do you think it would be wrong to
start now?
Gordon

Evening All.

You spend a lot more time in a caravan than you do towing.

Do you know anyone who has one that you could live in for a while, i.e. get
someone to take their van to a site and then live in it for a couple of days
to see how you get on. Fetching and carrying. Limited kitchen space etc.etc.

When it comes to towing. You don't have to go enormous distances to get
pleasure from it

Cheers
Smiler

Old January 30th 07, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"Spanner" wrote in message
Hello
I have a yearning to buy a caravan, just for the wife and myself, not a
large one, but well equipped. Not more than 20 ft long because of the
length of my drive.
The point is we are in our seventies, do you think it would be wrong to
start now?
Gordon

Gordon,
My advice would be - think 12 foot and sunshine. Go to France. We have
never had a caravan longer than 12 foot and before that it was tents. We
only use the van for sleeping. It makes life very simple. A small van and
the world, or the EU, is your oyster. Ahhh oysters that's another story :-).
I have already posted the tale of the pearls.
In your seventies do what you fancy. Waste money. We do.
Regards.
Dave

Old January 30th 07, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 19:13:51 GMT, "Dave D"
wrote:

|"Spanner" wrote in message
.. .
| Hello
| I have a yearning to buy a caravan, just for the wife and myself, not a
| large one, but well equipped. Not more than 20 ft long because of the
| length of my drive.
| The point is we are in our seventies, do you think it would be wrong to
| start now?
| Gordon
|

|Gordon,
|My advice would be - think 12 foot and sunshine. Go to France. We have
|never had a caravan longer than 12 foot and before that it was tents. We
|only use the van for sleeping. It makes life very simple. A small van and
|the world, or the EU, is your oyster. Ahhh oysters that's another story :-).
|I have already posted the tale of the pearls.
|In your seventies do what you fancy. Waste money. We do.

12 ft is maybe a little short. Ours is 3.5 meters and has cooker, shower,
toilet, heater, radio, TV, bigger bed than at home, everything we want.

Go to the Show at NEC if you can http://www.boatandcaravan.co.uk/ 17-25
February 2007.
Old January 30th 07, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian B

"Spanner" wrote in message
Hello
I have a yearning to buy a caravan, just for the wife and myself,
not a large one, but well equipped. Not more than 20 ft long because
of the length of my drive.
The point is we are in our seventies, do you think it would be wrong
to start now?
Gordon

Go for it, I know quite a few in their seventies who regularly enjoy
caravanning. Providing you have reasonable health to allow you to
move and set up your 'van there shouldn't be too many problems. 20ft
should be ample to get most mod cons in, and as Dave D suggests 12ft
will do if it's just a bed for the night. You can get lightweight
awnings that are very easy to put up should you require extra space.
If you can't do what others suggest re borrowing/hiring one, make a
list of your equipment requirements before you go looking to buy and
don't just 'look', imagine using it, where you would put things, check
storage, try the toilet/washroom for size & usability etc.

What are you planning to tow it with, it's not just you that needs to
be up to the job of towing.

Just as a matter of interest, at your age and with this yearning, why
have you not tried it before now.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Ian B

Please reply to Newsgroup - Antispam applied

Avoid paying premium phone rates -
http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

Old January 31st 07, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Spanner" wrote in message
Hello
I have a yearning to buy a caravan, just for the wife and myself, not a
large one, but well equipped. Not more than 20 ft long because of the
length of my drive.
The point is we are in our seventies, do you think it would be wrong to
start now?

Get a camper van instead, it's a lot less physical effort, easier to drive
(especially if you haven't towed before) and a lot less preparation time
before going anywhere.

Rgds

Andy R

Old January 31st 07, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:55:14 -0000, "Andy R" wrote:

|"Spanner" wrote in message
.. .
| Hello
| I have a yearning to buy a caravan, just for the wife and myself, not a
| large one, but well equipped. Not more than 20 ft long because of the
| length of my drive.
| The point is we are in our seventies, do you think it would be wrong to
| start now?
|
|Get a camper van instead, it's a lot less physical effort, easier to drive
|(especially if you haven't towed before) and a lot less preparation time
|before going anywhere.

The disadvantages of camper vans (I have used both) a
You can leave a caravan pitched and drive round in the car on days out.
Driving a camper is a lot harder than a car, if easier then towing a van.
You have to clear up a camper every day before driving, whereas you can
leave a caravan untidy.
You have to protect your pitch on a caravan site to prevent others moving
on to it while you are away.
Old January 31st 07, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bambi~BamBam

On 31 Jan, 09:27, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:55:14 -0000, "Andy R" wrote:

||"Spanner" wrote in message

.. .
| Hello
| I have a yearning to buy a caravan, just for the wife and myself, not a
| large one, but well equipped. Not more than 20 ft long because of the
| length of my drive.
| The point is we are in our seventies, do you think it would be wrong to
| start now?
|
|Get a camper van instead, it's a lot less physical effort, easier to drive
|(especially if you haven't towed before) and a lot less preparation time
|before going anywhere.

The disadvantages of camper vans (I have used both) a
You can leave a caravan pitched and drive round in the car on days out.
Driving a camper is a lot harder than a car, if easier then towing a van.
You have to clear up a camper every day before driving, whereas you can
leave a caravan untidy.
You have to protect your pitch on a caravan site to prevent others moving
on to it while you are away.

I have a Bedford Bambi campervan, its a 3 birth 970cc v.cheap to tax/
insure. Small enough to fit into a 'car' parking space but
suprisingly spacious and tardis like inside. is equipt with fridge
2hob cooker and grill, sink, water tank, add leisure battery and
gas... your away You might want to consider something like that.
(With an awning that you can leave up (like the Movelite) the pitch
will still be yours when you get back from your day out.)