Melting 12S socket

Old January 31st 07, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

Default Melting 12S socket

Towbar and twin electrics fitted by supplying new car dealer last June. We
suffered from the dreaded melting plug and socket. The caravan dealer tells
me that pins 3 and 7 on the 12S socket need separate earthing to the
chassis. I can't get the trim off, behind which the wiring seems to be, to
check the earths.

Now then. Is it worth going back to the car dealer to get him to fix it, or
is he going to tell me to . . . ?
--
Budgie
NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere.

Old January 31st 07, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Graham Wilson

Go to the local towbar fitter tell him and get him to replace the wiring
by far the easiest route

From
Gray
The Madcaravanner from Chesterfield and Sharm El Sheikh
www.madcaravanner.co.uk
You don't have to be mad but it helps

Pictures at http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/Madcaravanner/

Old February 1st 07, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

On 31 Jan, 15:23, "Budgie" wrote:
Towbar and twin electrics fitted by supplying new car dealer last June. We
suffered from the dreaded melting plug and socket. The caravan dealer tells
me that pins 3 and 7 on the 12S socket need separate earthing to the
chassis. I can't get the trim off, behind which the wiring seems to be, to
check the earths.

Now then. Is it worth going back to the car dealer to get him to fix it, or
is he going to tell me to . . . ?
--
Budgie
NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere.

If it's failed since June, it's under guarantee so back to the garage.
Most garage mechanics know little or nothing about electrics so tell
them you want to see the wiring before they replace all the covers.

John

Old February 1st 07, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

I had the same problem but chickened out. Had the plug renewed and now
before we leave we get the van fridge cold and put a couple of freezer
blocks in which is enough for a 3 to 4 hour pull. I seem to recall that a
Tony Maris (trust I have his name correct) has given excellent advice on
this very subject in threads in the past. Suggest you try some searches on
google groups where you might be able to dig up that technical advice.

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old February 1st 07, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Graham Wilson

"Mike" wrote in message
I had the same problem but chickened out. Had the plug renewed and now
before we leave we get the van fridge cold and put a couple of freezer
blocks in which is enough for a 3 to 4 hour pull. I seem to recall that a
Tony Maris (trust I have his name correct) has given excellent advice on
this very subject in threads in the past. Suggest you try some searches on
google groups where you might be able to dig up that technical advice.

Tony's web page is still live but he has since retired from the business
His shop is still open in Chesterfield
I did think he still surfaced on here from time to time

Old February 1st 07, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Lander

"Graham Wilson"

Tony's web page is still live but he has since retired from the business
His shop is still open in Chesterfield
I did think he still surfaced on here from time to time.

Last time I spoke to Tony he had washed his hands of this "NG". To many
$%*#,s infiltrated it.

Pete
(Looking north towards the Crooked Spire)

Old February 2nd 07, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Graham Wilson

Ta Peter
Not seen him in months

"Peter Lander" wrote in message
news:[email protected] .mailgate.org...
"Graham Wilson"

Old February 2nd 07, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

"John" wrote in message .

If it's failed since June, it's under guarantee so back to the garage.
Most garage mechanics know little or nothing about electrics so tell
them you want to see the wiring before they replace all the covers.

As an update, I managed to get the interior trim off yesterday, and found
both earths (from 3 and 7) were joined to the same screw into the body. I've
separated them by 6 inches, now.

Should be sufficient??

Old February 2nd 07, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 15:11:00 GMT, "Budgie" wrote:

As an update, I managed to get the interior trim off yesterday, and found
both earths (from 3 and 7) were joined to the same screw into the body. I've
separated them by 6 inches, now.

Should be sufficient??

There should be no problems with them being joined at that point, what
you need to do is to take an earth cable from the body to the s socket
and connect it to pin 5. Then work on the s plug on the caravan and
connect pin 5 to pin 7. Pin 5 is not connected to anything at present
so that by doing this you share the current that is now transferred by
pin 7 so lowering the temperature and reducing the chance of burning.

This is explained on what was Tony Maris's web site at
http://www.towitall.co.uk/faq/faq1.htm this makes very interestin
reading

One of the other suggestions on this page is to do the same thing with
pin 2 and pin 6. What he says is

Additionally, as pin 2 is now unused (though still probably connected to the split charge relay) the same can be done with the feed by linking pin 6 to pin 2.

However when I did this I had problems as pin 2 on my caravan was
actually connected to soemthing and I kept on blowing the relay on the
car so I can not recommend that.

you can also find wiring diagrams on the same site at

http://www.towitall.co.uk/faq/faq1.htm

Bill Lord

Old February 2nd 07, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"Peter Lander" wrote in message
news:[email protected] .mailgate.org...
"Graham Wilson"

Tony's web page is still live but he has since retired from the business
His shop is still open in Chesterfield
I did think he still surfaced on here from time to time.

Last time I spoke to Tony he had washed his hands of this "NG". To many
$%*#,s infiltrated it.

Pete

Thats a shame because Tony always gave very good advice. I don't see him
posting elsewhere either now. Perhaps he is just enjoying his retirement!!!

On a previous car I had problems with the S socket/relay not providing
enough power and I followed Tony's advice on using the spare pins on the
caravan socket and certainly did not have any problems after that. Except,
you must tell your service agent what you have done as mine complained to me
that my set up blew the fuses in his tester, glad it was only the fuse!!!

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk