Mould stains

Old January 31st 07, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony

Default Mould stains

Hi All,

Just got the van out from storage and it appears the cupboard doors are
covered in mould and mildew.

This easily washes off with soapy water, however, in some areas it has left
black stains.

Any thouhts on how this can be removed?

Thanks

Tony

Old January 31st 07, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Tony" wrote in message
Hi All,

Just got the van out from storage and it appears the cupboard doors are
covered in mould and mildew.

This easily washes off with soapy water, however, in some areas it has
left black stains.

Any thouhts on how this can be removed?

Thanks

Tony

We came back from Wales yesterday, the same had happened in our little
caravan which lives there - but only on the parts which were painted in
emulsion (F&B) and on the plastic venetian blind slats.

It's never happened before, the paint has been on for a few years.

We spent a lot of elbow grease trying to get the marks off, with anti-mildew
stuff and with soap and with just water. The soap worked best - i.e. it was
easier with soap - but water alone was just as good, it just needed more
effort.

We'll be re-painting it with gloss.

Mary

Old January 31st 07, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:48:13 -0000, "Tony"
wrote:

Hi All,

Just got the van out from storage and it appears the cupboard doors are
covered in mould and mildew.

This easily washes off with soapy water, however, in some areas it has left
black stains.

Any thouhts on how this can be removed?

No idea on removing the stains but if you have mould and mildew I
would do a thorough damp test on the caravan and mould and mildew are
major signs of ingress of damp into the walls of the van.

Bill Lord

Old February 1st 07, 06:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

not for the stains. However, if your van has been stored undercover then
this may be surface mould cause by poor ventilation and condensation.

You can check this looking in the cupboards, under the beds, in dark corners
etc.

If none others are found then just replace the doors!

Old February 1st 07, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

wrote:

Hi All,

Just got the van out from storage and it appears the cupboard doors are
covered in mould and mildew.

This easily washes off with soapy water, however, in some areas it has
left
black stains.

Any thouhts on how this can be removed?

No idea on removing the stains but if you have mould and mildew I
would do a thorough damp test on the caravan and mould and mildew are
major signs of ingress of damp into the walls of the van.

There are other causes, our 'van has no damp ingress.

Mary

Old February 1st 07, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Mike R" wrote in message
not for the stains. However, if your van has been stored undercover then
this may be surface mould cause by poor ventilation and condensation.

You can check this looking in the cupboards, under the beds, in dark
corners etc.

If none others are found then just replace the doors!

LOL!

What amazed me, after my heart had fallen when I first saw the mould, was
that all the fabrics and foam were bone dry, there was no mould under the
beds or in dark corners (yes, I DID look - very carefully) and there was no
odour of damp at all. It was just where the ceiling and walls were painted
with emulsion.

The van had been covered with a polypropylene tarpaulin. We left it
uncovered and open to the elements and we shall see what happens in the time
between now and when we go again. To repaint it :-)

Mary

Old February 1st 07, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Mike R" wrote in message
[...]

I think we've just had a very mild winter, and with lack of ventilation ,
lots of condesation, lot of people will experience this like you and Tony.

Old February 1st 07, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

wrote:

Hi All,

Just got the van out from storage and it appears the cupboard doors are
covered in mould and mildew.

This easily washes off with soapy water, however, in some areas it has
left
black stains.

Any thouhts on how this can be removed?

No idea on removing the stains but if you have mould and mildew I
would do a thorough damp test on the caravan and mould and mildew are
major signs of ingress of damp into the walls of the van.

Nope,

They are a major sign of warm winters, Mould spores used to be killed off by
frost. Seeing as we don't have any frost no more they will grow over the
winter, particularly if the van is not aired regularly.

Cheers

Old February 1st 07, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BILL

"Mike R" wrote in message
[...]

Just checked my caravan as its stored in dampish place everything seems ok,
I dont know how other people store their vans but i open all doors
and drawers to aid circulation,the cushions are normaly taken indoors but
that has'nt been done this year,
an oversight on my part.

Bill.1.

Old February 1st 07, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"BILL" wrote in message

Just checked my caravan as its stored in dampish place everything seems
ok,
I dont know how other people store their vans but i open all doors
and drawers to aid circulation,

ALL doors and drawers???

We only have one door and no drawers ... :-)

the cushions are normaly taken indoors but that has'nt been done this
year,
an oversight on my part.

There were no problems with the soft furnishings. And the venetian blind
slats have plenty of air to both surfaces.

I think David's right about the warm winter, apparently in Wales such mildew
growth inside houses has been common even when they've been lived in
continuously in the last months.

Mary

Bill.1.