Voltage regulator

Old January 31st 07, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ToxOgrady

Default Voltage regulator

Hi,
I have now got an LCD TV / Freeview box & also a mini DVD which all are
capable of running off 12 volt. Rather than having various 240-12V
transformer packs bunched toghether I would like to set up a single 12v plug
which feed to all three.

However I've heard stories that these LCD screens are at risk of damage due
to overvoltage. So I don't fancy connecting one to the 12volt system if its
on charge at say 13.8v

With so many LCD screens on the market now, surely somebody is is offering
voltage regulation devices that can trim 13.8 down to 12v.

The other reason for 12v is to at least tap into the battary if a hookup
isn't available.

Old February 1st 07, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John G

"ToxOgrady" wrote in message
Hi,
I have now got an LCD TV / Freeview box & also a mini DVD which all are
capable of running off 12 volt. Rather than having various 240-12V
transformer packs bunched toghether I would like to set up a single 12v
plug which feed to all three.

However I've heard stories that these LCD screens are at risk of damage
due to overvoltage. So I don't fancy connecting one to the 12volt system
if its on charge at say 13.8v

With so many LCD screens on the market now, surely somebody is is offering
voltage regulation devices that can trim 13.8 down to 12v.

The other reason for 12v is to at least tap into the battary if a hookup
isn't available.

I bought from http://www.amperordirect.co.uk/emr.asp?TicketNo=8255884
The regulator feed both our Wharfedale 15" LCD1510A TV and Sky Mini Box.
As supplied the regulator will only feed one appliance so you will need to
make up a lead for your requirements.
If you need an adapter to convert to a 4 pin plug speak to Craig who is very
helpful.
John G

Old February 1st 07, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 08:43:12 -0000, "John G"
wrote:

"ToxOgrady" wrote in message
[...]

How much did it cost?

Just bought one for 338 to power a LCD but yet to arrive?

Peter
Old February 1st 07, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

ToxOgrady explained :
Hi,
I have now got an LCD TV / Freeview box & also a mini DVD which all are
capable of running off 12 volt. Rather than having various 240-12V
transformer packs bunched toghether I would like to set up a single 12v plug
which feed to all three.

However I've heard stories that these LCD screens are at risk of damage due
to overvoltage. So I don't fancy connecting one to the 12volt system if its
on charge at say 13.8v.

If they are designed to run on a vehicle 12v supply, it normal to
expect the voltage to be anywhere between 11.5 and 14.4v. Most of these
seem to have a maximum voltage input rating of 16v and are designed to
'drop out' below around 11.8v or so to protect the battery. Using these
there is always the slight risk of the charge circuit running out of
control and causing damage.

Why then add the complication of yet another device in the circuit,
which might itself fail and cause excessive voltage?

Check the devices maximum voltage range and if it says a figure of or
greater 14.4 then it should be fine. If in doubt ring the manufacturer
for clarification before buying the gadget.

One exception I make is for my laptop, which requires 19v DC. For this
I use a 12v to 19v DC to DC converter rated at 3amps.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old February 1st 07, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ToxOgrady

If they are designed to run on a vehicle 12v supply, it normal to
expect the voltage to be anywhere between 11.5 and 14.4v. Most of these
seem to have a maximum voltage input rating of 16v and are designed to
'drop out' below around 11.8v or so to protect the battery. Using these
there is always the slight risk of the charge circuit running out of
control and causing damage.

Why then add the complication of yet another device in the circuit, which
might itself fail and cause excessive voltage?

Check the devices maximum voltage range and if it says a figure of or
greater 14.4 then it should be fine. If in doubt ring the manufacturer for
clarification before buying the gadget.

Nothing in the parworks indicates anything further the household use. ( eg
in car / caravan / camping )

It took me and age but I did finally track down a website for this Swisstec
device

http://www.umc-slovakia.sk/products_s15-2.php

Nothing in the data gives any tolerance on voltage so I've emailed the
company but don't hold out much hope for a response.

Sorry to digress , but just for the sake of minimising power packs when
using mains I'd like to establish what single supply rating I would need to
feed three devices.

- The little set-top box hax a 12v 150mA transformer
- The mini DVD states 12v 1.25A on the back of it
- Telly states 12V 3.3A on the bottom on it and thats the same as its
transformer.

Are there cheap 240v/12c 5A rated supplies available? Or am I stuck with a
gang of plugs and transformer packs

Old February 2nd 07, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

ToxOgrady submitted this idea :
[...]

STB and TV should be able to both operate simultaneously from the TV's
'transformer', assuming both are DC.