Wi-Fi at Caravan club sites

Old February 1st 07, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jeff

Default Wi-Fi at Caravan club sites

Hello

I see that a number of CC sites now offer WiFi. Does anyone have any
experience of this to report?
I stayed at a hotel in the Lakes recently that offered WiFi but the service
was very poor indeed - I ended up having to revert to gprs.
I'm hoping that the CC will have done a better job.

Many Thanks
Jeff

Old February 1st 07, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Theres one at the Southlands site IOW. A friend had his laptop with him and
the servoce worked extremely well

Old February 1st 07, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jeff

"Mike" wrote in message
Theres one at the Southlands site IOW. A friend had his laptop with him
and the servoce worked extremely well

Thanks

I gave one of the sites a call to find out a little more.
The warden claims the signal is good at all pitches. The system is operated
by BTOpenzone and you need some form of account with them in order to use
it. Monthly subscriptions are available or you can buy pay as you go cards
from the site:

- 60 mins in 24 hours for 6
- unlimited minutes in 24 hours for 6
- 4000 mins in 30 days for 40

Apparently the CC are trialling the system and will roll it out in lots more
sites if successful

Thanks again
Jeff

Old February 1st 07, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Jeff wrote:

- 60 mins in 24 hours for 6
- unlimited minutes in 24 hours for 6
- 4000 mins in 30 days for 40

Are you sure those figures are right? Why buy 60 mins when you can have
unlimited for the same price?

Anyone know whether it works ok inside caravans. Mobile phones often don't.
Do you have to take your computer outside - or into an awning - to get it to
work?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old February 1st 07, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jeff

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:

- 60 mins in 24 hours for 6
- unlimited minutes in 24 hours for 6
- 4000 mins in 30 days for 40

Are you sure those figures are right? Why buy 60 mins when you can have
unlimited for the same price?

oops, that should read...

- unlimited minutes in 24 hours for 10

or see https://secure.connect-pay.com/bt/voucher_selection.php

Jeff

Old February 1st 07, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

flybywire wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..

Hello

I see that a number of CC sites now offer WiFi. Does anyone have any
experience of this to report?
I stayed at a hotel in the Lakes recently that offered WiFi but the
service was very poor indeed - I ended up having to revert to gprs.
I'm hoping that the CC will have done a better job.

Many Thanks
Jeff

"Mike" wrote in message
. ..

Theres one at the Southlands site IOW. A friend had his laptop with him
and the servoce worked extremely well

Thanks

I gave one of the sites a call to find out a little more.
The warden claims the signal is good at all pitches. The system is
operated by BTOpenzone and you need some form of account with them in
order to use it. Monthly subscriptions are available or you can buy pay as
you go cards from the site:

- 60 mins in 24 hours for 6
- unlimited minutes in 24 hours for 6
- 4000 mins in 30 days for 40

Apparently the CC are trialling the system and will roll it out in lots
more sites if successful

Thanks again
Jeff

it should be a free service

Mike

Not if, like mains electricity, I've got to subsidise it and can't use it.

Old February 1st 07, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 18:10:17 GMT, "flybywire" wrote:

it should be a free service

If you know where to look it is. A lot of the larger hotels have free
access just park outside and logon the logon is usually the same as
the SSID name.
I've not done it in the UK but in Dublin everyone pulls up outside
Bewleys Hotel.
Also drive around most UK towns & you will pick up loads of unsecured
networks you can log onto.
In Norwich the council provide a free service there are repeaters on
every lamppost they are trialing it for 2 years.

Lenny

Dark evenings - want better visability
Fit Osram Silver Star Headlamp Bulbs
50% Brighter beam, 20m Longer beam

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials
www.motoressentials.co.uk
Old February 1st 07, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jeff

"Lenny" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 18:10:17 GMT, "flybywire" wrote:

it should be a free service

If you know where to look it is. A lot of the larger hotels have free
access just park outside and logon the logon is usually the same as
the SSID name.
I've not done it in the UK but in Dublin everyone pulls up outside
Bewleys Hotel.
Also drive around most UK towns & you will pick up loads of unsecured
networks you can log onto.
In Norwich the council provide a free service there are repeaters on
every lamppost they are trialing it for 2 years.

Lenny

Yes, but bear in mind that unauthorised use of a WiFi network is a criminal
offence.

Jeff

Old February 1st 07, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"flybywire" wrote in message
it should be a free service

Mike

Why?

It costs the site owner to install it, and, as was mentioned elsewhere, not
everyone wants or needs it.

Cheers