anybody experienced mysterious flat battery problems with a kia sedona ?.

Old February 8th 07, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DAz

Default anybody experienced mysterious flat battery problems with a kia sedona ?.

anybody experienced mysterious flat battery problems with a kia sedona ?.
mines 04 2.9 crdi, the man from the RAC checked it out today and he reckons
the battery was reading 11.4volt/ 50amps then 13.3 volts but it dropped to
8amps in the first few seconds of him starting it, he drop tested the
battery which was fine and the TEC test gave 3 green lights(whatever that
means) basically if it's stood for a couple of days it goes flat, but
according to him there's " no obvious drain of power" when he tested it.
it was parked up 2 days after doing 250 miles of motorway during daylight
hours, so no real power usage.
he said it could be a chassis/engine earth fault or alternator/regulator
problem
anybody any ideas ?.
the reason I'm asking here and not a car forum, is that I know from previous
posts, one or two caravanners use the sedona + as soon as you mention
caravanning on most car forums, all the little CLARKSON wannabe's post the
same drivel.
thanks in advance
DAZ

Old February 9th 07, 06:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 23:45:55 -0000, "DAz" wrote:

[...]

Sounds like the problem I had with my last Sedona. After driving 350
miles through France stopped at a campsite when I went to restart the
engine would only just about turn over, got started & to a pitch. Next
morning it was fine & for the rest of the trip. After about a month
back home battery went flat again charged a spare that went flat,
checked output from the alternator no output at the battery just
before buying a new alternator I checked the output at the alternator
terminal - there was volts so assumed it was a cable problem . The
good news it was a very slightly loose connection on the alternator
terminal with heavy pressure on the terminal you could move it very
slightly. A quick tweak with a spanner and all was cured.
It's much easier to get at the alternator if you take the intercooler
off saves a lot of scratched arms.

Lenny

Dark evenings - want better visability
Fit Osram Silver Star Headlamp Bulbs
50% Brighter beam, 20m Longer beam

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials
www.motoressentials.co.uk

Old February 9th 07, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DAz

thanks for that info, it went in to the dealers today, they've fitted a new
battery and have kept it overnight for "tests", so i hope they've given all
the terminals a quick tweak, just to be safe.
thanks again
DAZ
"Lenny" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 23:45:55 -0000, "DAz" wrote:

anybody experienced mysterious flat battery problems with a kia sedona

?.

Old February 9th 07, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ToxOgrady

Daz,
join www.kia-forums.com

Mine seems to loose charge but it may be associated with the fact I've
fitted an LCD screen to a permanently live loom without a switch. i.e. the
screen is drawing power on standy mode.

The above site will make you think twice about keeping you KIA though.....

Old February 10th 07, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DAz

nar !, I've read a lot worse about bmw's merc's and audi's not to mention
the renaults, I'll stick too VFM any day,
just a note to anyone else with this problem, the service manager told me
the battery that is supplied by kia for this model as standard, is really
not that good in colder weather countries, so he fitted a new upgraded one,
which is now fitted to new models, apparently they are changing one a week,
so it might be worth asking the next time you're there. get them to check
the battery on a long drop test, this should show up any defects.
thanks again
DAZ
news

Old February 10th 07, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 18:52:02 -0000, "DAz" wrote:

nar !, I've read a lot worse about bmw's merc's and audi's not to mention
the renaults, I'll stick too VFM any day,
just a note to anyone else with this problem, the service manager told me
the battery that is supplied by kia for this model as standard, is really
not that good in colder weather countries, so he fitted a new upgraded one,
which is now fitted to new models, apparently they are changing one a week,
so it might be worth asking the next time you're there. get them to check
the battery on a long drop test, this should show up any defects.
thanks again
DAZ

I noticed my new Sedona Sep 2006 (the old modlel) has a 100 amp hour
battery the old one (2001) had an 80 amp hour & on realy cold morning
(don't get many on the south coast) it used to struggle.