Caravan Movers

Old February 9th 07, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Dowdeswell

Default Caravan Movers

Anyone any experience of fitting and using a remote control Caravan Mover?
I'm considering a purchase and I'd really value some advice!

Old February 9th 07, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Buy one, you will not be disappointed.

"Alan Dowdeswell" wrote in
message ...

Old February 10th 07, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
peter g

"Alan Dowdeswell" wrote in
message ...
Anyone any experience of fitting and using a remote control Caravan Mover?
I'm considering a purchase and I'd really value some advice!

Bought one last year - Carver Mover S - and fitted it myself. Fitting was
straightforward, well within the capability of any reasonable diy-er. Took
just a few hours, no special tools needed. Basically bolts to the chassis
(you should have a torque wrench to set the bolts) and is then wired to the
battery.

We bought ours partly for use at home, where we have a steep drive (not
possible to either drive up or reverse up with the caravan), and partly for
manoeuvring on site, because our new van is too big for us to manhandle on
anything other than flat level sites, now that the kids are of the age where
they won't usually come with us. The mover handles the drive with ease, and
allows precision parking in a space between the house and garage that is
just a few centimetres wider than the van. On site it is excellent for
squeezing the van into tight pitches where you can't reverse in. We went to
Italy last year, where pitches are often miniscule, and had no problems
whatsoever. We managed to get on some spots where there was no question of
reversing in with the car, and even manhandling would have been difficult.

All in all, as the other poster has already said, you won't be disappointed
if you get one. Expensive, but in my view well worth the money. The
downside would be that it takes 35 kilos out of your weight allowance, and
also lowers ground clearance by a few centimetres. Neither has cause me any
problem.

Pete

Old February 10th 07, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Alan Dowdeswell" wrote in
message ...
Anyone any experience of fitting and using a remote control Caravan Mover?
I'm considering a purchase and I'd really value some advice!

Got the Reich, marvellous, highly recomended.
I was offered a special offer inc. fitting at my home by Happe.
To fit myself was same price. So check things out well.

A tip have a mover fitted at the rear of tyre, if at front it will be low,
IE near to road. Sleeping police/humps/curbs are not good things.

I recomend Happe, they come to you Nationwide, as they know these things.

Please reply to News Group

Old February 10th 07, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
smiler

"David" wrote in message
news

"Alan Dowdeswell" wrote in
message ...
Anyone any experience of fitting and using a remote control Caravan
Mover? I'm considering a purchase and I'd really value some advice!

Got the Reich, marvellous, highly recomended.
I was offered a special offer inc. fitting at my home by Happe.
To fit myself was same price. So check things out well.

A tip have a mover fitted at the rear of tyre, if at front it will be
low, IE near to road. Sleeping police/humps/curbs are not good things.

I recomend Happe, they come to you Nationwide, as they know these things.

Please reply to News Group

Strongly concur with fitting at rear

I caught mine on a tarmac at road edge when pulling off a steepish track to
join the road. No damage.

Also read report I think on this NG quite a long time ago (years) about it
being caught knocked back and in effect putting on a brake.

Also my Lunar chassis is lower in front of the wheels than behind so there
is less clearance there.

Against. It is more inclined to catch spray and mud thrown up onto threads
and rollers.

Cheers Smiler

Take my hat off to find my address.