overnight at Dover docks?

Old February 10th 07, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
debg

Default overnight at Dover docks?

Hi any one had any experience of this?
We live in South Wales and are thinking of going to Paris for Whitsun
week.
Me and the family are never the best organised and its a 4hr drive so
dont think we will be able to get on an evening ferry.
We are thinking of going to Dover on the Friday night, but getting
ferry early in the morning.
Can't see us being able to get there before 9 or 10 oclock so do you
think we will be able to have a few hours sleep in the van on the
docks?
If anyone has done this I would be grateful for your comments.
Thanks

Old February 10th 07, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"debg" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi any one had any experience of this?
We live in South Wales and are thinking of going to Paris for Whitsun
week.
Me and the family are never the best organised and its a 4hr drive so
dont think we will be able to get on an evening ferry.
We are thinking of going to Dover on the Friday night, but getting
ferry early in the morning.
Can't see us being able to get there before 9 or 10 oclock so do you
think we will be able to have a few hours sleep in the van on the
docks?
If anyone has done this I would be grateful for your comments.
Thanks

There is no parking in the Port of Dover that I have seen. I have heard
about people parking in an area on the harbour side but not in a position to
tell you where. If you can get a crossing that evening Calais has a large
parking area where lots of people stay coming or going. Reasonably secure as
its in the Port complex. Alternative the Cravan Club have a site called
Black Horse Farm at Densole which has a special area for people
arriving/departing early/late.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old February 10th 07, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On 10 Feb 2007 12:36:15 -0800, "debg" wrote:

Hi any one had any experience of this?
We live in South Wales and are thinking of going to Paris for Whitsun
week.
Me and the family are never the best organised and its a 4hr drive so
dont think we will be able to get on an evening ferry.
We are thinking of going to Dover on the Friday night, but getting
ferry early in the morning.
Can't see us being able to get there before 9 or 10 oclock so do you
think we will be able to have a few hours sleep in the van on the
docks?
If anyone has done this I would be grateful for your comments.
Thanks

They won't let you into the docks more than 2 hours before your
sailing & I think they have now stopped overnight parking on the
seafront by the yacht harbor.
There are a couple of lay buys just up the A2 they fill up early with
lorries your best bet is the C&CC site at Folkstone Racecourse I think
they have an area for early leavers.

Lenny

Dark evenings - want better visability
Fit Osram Silver Star Headlamp Bulbs
50% Brighter beam, 20m Longer beam

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials
www.motoressentials.co.uk
Old February 10th 07, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Yosh

They won't let you into the docks more than 2 hours before your
sailing & I think they have now stopped overnight parking on the
seafront by the yacht harbor.
There are a couple of lay buys just up the A2 they fill up early with
lorries your best bet is the C&CC site at Folkstone Racecourse I think
they have an area for early leavers.

Lenny

Dark evenings - want better visability
Fit Osram Silver Star Headlamp Bulbs
50% Brighter beam, 20m Longer beam

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials
www.motoressentials.co.uk

I tried to park in the port not so long ago for an early crossing, policeman
(armed) knocked on the window at 3am and implied we "shift now" I think like
the others say its a safer bet to get in to a site for the night.

Old February 10th 07, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John B

Try Folkstone Racecourse Caravan Club site. You don't need to be a member. We
have often arrived about 6.00 in the morning, for an afternoon sailing, after
driving down overnight from the north. You can come and go when you need. Just
drive down the racecourse entrance track, then park up on the field outside the
actual site and often pay just a nominal fee if only staying a short while. It's
about half an hour to the port.

Have a good trip,

John B.

--
Remove nospam from email address to reply
ups.com...

Old February 10th 07, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
smiler

Evening All

I know that this is a top post, just following my leader.

Folkestone Racecourse Caravan Club site is now Closed (Ref cc handbook
2007 )

It was ideal now we have had to find an alternative.

Smiler

"John B" wrote in message
Try Folkstone Racecourse Caravan Club site. You don't need to be a member.
We
have often arrived about 6.00 in the morning, for an afternoon sailing,
after
driving down overnight from the north. You can come and go when you need.
Just
drive down the racecourse entrance track, then park up on the field
outside the
actual site and often pay just a nominal fee if only staying a short
while. It's
about half an hour to the port.

Have a good trip,

John B.

--
Remove nospam from email address to reply
ups.com...

Old February 10th 07, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DAz

the black horse farn site is exellent !, we've stayed there a few times on
our way to spain, they park you in a special area for early sailings and the
little pub across the road does really good meals and the best pint of john
smiths i tried, !

"John B" wrote in message
Try Folkstone Racecourse Caravan Club site. You don't need to be a

member.
We
have often arrived about 6.00 in the morning, for an afternoon sailing,
after
driving down overnight from the north. You can come and go when you

need.
Just
drive down the racecourse entrance track, then park up on the field
outside the
actual site and often pay just a nominal fee if only staying a short
while. It's
about half an hour to the port.

Have a good trip,

John B.

--
Remove nospam from email address to reply
ups.com...

Old February 11th 07, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Falla

If you arrive more than 2 hours before your sailing you will not be allowed
on the docks, I know I have tried it!

I also live in South Wales, I have used an evening ferry a few times and
then used the docks at Calais but found it is very noisy there is a constant
stream of lorries going past all through the night.

I have 2 solutions if I am going that way now.

1. Stay at Hawthorn Farm (a large commercial site), it is about 4 - 5 miles
from the docks, go up the A2 from the docks to the roundabout and turn
right. A few miles along take road left to Martins Mill.
2. I use Camping St Louis at Autingues about 10 miles from Calais, they have
a website (www.campingstlouis.com) and you can book.

Hope this is helpful

Tony Falla

ups.com...

Old February 11th 07, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 09:44:43 -0000, "Tony Falla"
wrote:

If you arrive more than 2 hours before your sailing you will not be allowed
on the docks, I know I have tried it!

I also live in South Wales, I have used an evening ferry a few times and
then used the docks at Calais but found it is very noisy there is a constant
stream of lorries going past all through the night.

I agree with that, there is overnight parking area just up the road
usually just a few lorries there surface is a bit rough & it's unlit.
You can still get into the old Hoverport that's my favorite for
overnighting in Calais.
I once tried the Auchan hypermarket car park delivery lorries & fork
lifts running all night.

Old February 11th 07, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

"debg" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi any one had any experience of this?
We live in South Wales and are thinking of going to Paris for Whitsun
week.
Me and the family are never the best organised and its a 4hr drive so
dont think we will be able to get on an evening ferry.
We are thinking of going to Dover on the Friday night, but getting
ferry early in the morning.
Can't see us being able to get there before 9 or 10 oclock so do you
think we will be able to have a few hours sleep in the van on the
docks?
If anyone has done this I would be grateful for your comments.
Thanks

I did this a few years ago before heading off camping with Eurosites etc in
a Reno Clio.

We parked on the sea front near the harbour (where all the yachts are
moored). There is a public toilet there that was quite clean and was closed
overnight so once open at 7am (ish) we used that. On a previous occasion we
managed to get into the toilet complex where the yachts are. Some kind chap
let us in and gave us the code for the toilet block door.

I am going back a few years now though, maybe 1994/95 so sleeping in the car
may not be as safe as it was back then.

I did notice that there were several motorhomes doing the same thing there
and like yourself have the required toilet facilities on-board. As this is a
regular occurance you will either find that council/plod have put no
overnight signs up or know that it will happen anyway so turn a blind eye,
maybe worth giving local pold a call and ask them what they think.

Steve