Camping and Caravanning Club - Deposits for 2007.

Old February 11th 07, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
pastiche

Default Camping and Caravanning Club - Deposits for 2007.

Have just noticed that I am being asked to pay a 25.00 minimum
deposit for a weekend stay amounting to 31.00. Having contacted the
Club they explain that this new rate for 2007 is to discourage non-
attenders. Anyone know of another organisation charging this % as a
deposit - seems to me that this not a deposit at all. At least the
Caravan Club has the decency to trust its membership and does not levy
any charge as a deposit. Needless to say, the C&CC refuse to publish
my letter asking for comments from the membership. The C&CC have some
smashing sites and we love the atmosphere but I'll be staying more
with the Caravan Club this year whilst keeping the deposit money in
the bank (mine!). Like the 'Early Arrival' penalty, let us hope that
the C&CC sees sense before there is a mass movement towards the
Caravan Club. The C&CC may be the 'friendly' club but its nice to
know that the CC is both 'friendly' and 'trusting' of its membership.

Old February 11th 07, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Remus

"pastiche" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Unfortunately a lot of people make bookings then don't keep them. Often
they don't even bother to tell the site wardens. This results in a
pitch being kept unavailable for others to use. Not such a problem in
low season I suspect but a cause of much disappointment in busier
periods. The CC may 'trust it's membership' at the moment but I
wouldn't be surprised if they went the same route. Sadly, some of the
membership (of both clubs) have shown, time after time, that they can't
be trusted and, as usual, the bulk of members will suffer because of the
behaviour of a few. Personally, I wouldn't allow 'any' pre-booking more
than a week in advance and, sorry, I would insist on a sizeable
deposit - returnable only in certain circumstances. They also need to
get their computer programmed to show if any member has made conflicting
bookings at more than one club site ("Where shall we go dear?" "Haven't
made you mind up?" "Oh well, we'll do our usual and pre-book our usual
half-dozen favourite site, then turn up at one and forget the others").
As this is turning into a rant - I'll stop now.
P.S. They should have published your letter.

Old February 11th 07, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob Douglas

--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
"Remus" wrote in message

snip

[...]

I think at least one of the clubs does this with its online bookings
already, not allowing overlapping bookings for the same membership number.
(I think I found this inadvertently with the C&CC last year)

As this is turning into a rant - I'll stop now.
P.S. They should have published your letter.

I also find not having to leave a deposit for the CC more satisfying as a
member 'perk', but I don't get too wound up by the C&CC practice. I simply
don't book much in advance, and always intend to go.

I had to cancel Losehill at fairly short notice as my new 'van was a couple
of days late arriving. (But I did both cancel on the website AND 'phone the
site direct).

Frankly, though the clubs' systems probably aren't up to it at the moment,
the answer is fairly simple, and variations on the following theme would be
easy to implement and should discourage 'no-shows'.

Make bookings deposit-free. If a member books and 'no-shows', then all
future bookings already made by that member should be cancelled (with email
notification), and any new bookings for the remainder of the year should be
subject to full, 'up-front' payment.

Old February 11th 07, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 21:25:05 -0000, "Remus" wrote:

Unfortunately a lot of people make bookings then don't keep them. Often
they don't even bother to tell the site wardens. This results in a
pitch being kept unavailable for others to use. Not such a problem in
low season I suspect but a cause of much disappointment in busier
periods. The CC may 'trust it's membership' at the moment but I
wouldn't be surprised if they went the same route.

They have just changed there policy on deposits, in theory up till the
end of 2006 there was a £10 deposit to pay for any bookings. They have
just cancelled it. I aplaud them for doing this.

Sadly, some of the
membership (of both clubs) have shown, time after time, that they can't
be trusted and, as usual, the bulk of members will suffer because of the
behaviour of a few. Personally, I wouldn't allow 'any' pre-booking more
than a week in advance

I wouldn't go so far though I would suggest that only a percentage of
pitches could be booked more than a week in advance unless they were
for periods of time greater than 5 days. It's daft that it is
difficult to book a fortnights holiday a month before going because
all the pitches are booked on a Friday and Saturday.

and, sorry, I would insist on a sizeable
deposit - returnable only in certain circumstances. They also need to
get their computer programmed to show if any member has made conflicting
bookings at more than one club site

You mean as the CC have been doing for the last three years.

P.S. They should have published your letter.

I agree.

Bill Lord

Old February 12th 07, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jx

"Remus" wrote in message

SNIP

They also need to
get their computer programmed to show if any member has made conflicting
bookings at more than one club site ("Where shall we go dear?" "Haven't
made you mind up?" "Oh well, we'll do our usual and pre-book our usual
half-dozen favourite site, then turn up at one and forget the others"). As
this is turning into a rant - I'll stop now.
P.S. They should have published your letter.

You can only book one site for one date online, the system won't allow you
to book more.

Jx

Old February 12th 07, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
pastiche

On Feb 11, 9:53 pm, "Bob Douglas"
[...]

subject to full, 'up-front' payment.- Hide quoted text -

I could not agree more - the C&CC has spend much time and money
introducing a computer booking system. It could not be that difficult
to programme the system to identify consistant non-attenders.

Old February 13th 07, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Joe R

It does and I think they are starting a system of 3 strikes and then
no membership!
Be Warned!

I didn't make this up, it came from a Club official.

Joe R