raising tow ball ?

Old February 12th 07, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Matt H

Default raising tow ball ?

Hi Chaps,

Had my new Avensis Estate November got my tow bar fitted January and brought
a new caravan last week took it away this weekend and noticed that when
connected to the car it's lower than the last caravan we had... it brushes
speed bumps on the Jockey wheel.

I can't take it off cus it's built in to the A frame of the van...

You can get drop plates but there are warnings saying they are not to be
used for raising the tow ball why is this can anyone tell me.....???

Is there a way to raise the tow ball ?

Matt

Old February 12th 07, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

On 12 Feb, 07:52, "Matt H" wrote:
Hi Chaps,

Had my new Avensis Estate November got my tow bar fitted January and brought
a new caravan last week took it away this weekend and noticed that when
connected to the car it's lower than the last caravan we had... it brushes
speed bumps on the Jockey wheel.

I can't take it off cus it's built in to the A frame of the van...

You can get drop plates but there are warnings saying they are not to be
used for raising the tow ball why is this can anyone tell me.....???

Is there a way to raise the tow ball ?

Matt

If you raise a towball by means of a plate, it flexes and you can feel
tha caravan surging on the car. I can't explain it any better than
that. I tried it once and removed it for this reason.

John

Old February 12th 07, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Matt H typed:
Hi Chaps,

Had my new Avensis Estate November got my tow bar fitted January and
brought a new caravan last week took it away this weekend and noticed
that when connected to the car it's lower than the last caravan we
had... it brushes speed bumps on the Jockey wheel.

I can't take it off cus it's built in to the A frame of the van...

You can get drop plates but there are warnings saying they are not to
be used for raising the tow ball why is this can anyone tell
me.....???
Is there a way to raise the tow ball ?

Matt

Use a different cast towball ... We use a 'normal' one and one similar
to this.

http://www.towsure.com/product.asp?p=1331

--
Paul - xxx
ebay stuff 140083542376

Old February 12th 07, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 07:52:19 GMT, "Matt H"
wrote:

Hi Chaps,

Had my new Avensis Estate November got my tow bar fitted January and brought
a new caravan last week took it away this weekend and noticed that when
connected to the car it's lower than the last caravan we had... it brushes
speed bumps on the Jockey wheel.

I can't take it off cus it's built in to the A frame of the van...

You can get drop plates but there are warnings saying they are not to be
used for raising the tow ball why is this can anyone tell me.....???

Is there a way to raise the tow ball ?

Matt

According to BS AU 113c the height of the towball requires that when
the car is laden to it's maximum laden weight the centre of the
towball is between 350 mm and 420 mm from the ground. If when you take
this measurement it is correct then you should check that the
noseweight of your caravan is set at a lower figure than the max
noseweight limit for your particular car. If you have already done
this and it still gives you the problems that you have described then
it might be worthwhile seeing whether there is a rear suspension
upgrade available that will allow you to stiffen the suspension when
it is under load. You might consider MAD springs, Grayston spring
assisters, or some sort of self levelling shock absorbers where you
would be able to pump them up so that the car is level when you drive.

As far as I know there is no legal way of raising the height of the
towball especially on a new car that will be subject to type approval
for its towbar. The best way forward would be to contact a reputable
trailer and towbar company such as Towbars and Trailers in
Chesterfield, or Peter Bowmans in Bury, there are probably many other
similar places but these are the only ones I have had dealings with.

Bill Lord

Old February 12th 07, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Matt H" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi Chaps,

Had my new Avensis Estate November got my tow bar fitted January and
brought a new caravan last week took it away this weekend and noticed that
when connected to the car it's lower than the last caravan we had... it
brushes speed bumps on the Jockey wheel.

I can't take it off cus it's built in to the A frame of the van...

You can get drop plates but there are warnings saying they are not to be
used for raising the tow ball why is this can anyone tell me.....???

Is there a way to raise the tow ball ?

Matt

Nope, nor can you lower it. Yours is approved towbar and you cannot fit
plates other than a spacer of up to 15mm.

Cheers

Old February 12th 07, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

[email protected] home wrote:
"Matt H" wrote in message
.uk...

Hi Chaps,

Had my new Avensis Estate November got my tow bar fitted January and
brought a new caravan last week took it away this weekend and noticed that
when connected to the car it's lower than the last caravan we had... it
brushes speed bumps on the Jockey wheel.

I can't take it off cus it's built in to the A frame of the van...

You can get drop plates but there are warnings saying they are not to be
used for raising the tow ball why is this can anyone tell me.....???

Is there a way to raise the tow ball ?

Matt

Nope, nor can you lower it. Yours is approved towbar and you cannot fit
plates other than a spacer of up to 15mm.

Cheers

We discussed this here 12 months ago!

Whilst probably true in this case it is too sweeping a statement to
say that all 'approved' towbars cannot be used with raised towballs or
15mm maximum spacers.

The certification for 'approved' towbars gives an envelope of usage
conditions within which the certification is valid. These conditions
include such things as the maximum spacer thickness that may be used
to space the towball rearwards and the maximum distance that the
towball may be raised/lowered. This envelope is frequently within the
limits that you quote. It is possible that some tow bar manufacturers
have wider limits than others: worth checking.

However there are certified towbars with limits far beyond those that
you quote - but for vehicles which many won't describe as cars.
Old February 12th 07, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Dougal" DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk wrote in message
[email protected] home wrote:
"Matt H" wrote in message
[...]

Indeed, but the OP has listed his Car as an Avensis, so I was using the
shorthand answer to save digging over the issures raised earlier. Sorry if
that causes you a problem.

Cheers

Old February 12th 07, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

[email protected] home wrote:

"Dougal" DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk wrote in message

[email protected] home wrote:

"Matt H" wrote in message
.co.uk...

[...]

No problem. I just consider it important that the whole story is
available as so many part truths are being pedalled (not by you I
hasten to add) on this subject.

This is another EU directive that addresses problems that didn't exist
although opening up the choice of tow bars is a good thing. I'll be
well and truly st***ed when my tug becomes young enough to require a
certificated tow bar. I currently need a four inch drop plate to get a
level outfit.
Old February 13th 07, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:44:06 +0000, Dougal
DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk wrote:

|[email protected] home wrote:
|! "Matt H" wrote in message
|! .uk...

|!Whilst probably true in this case it is too sweeping a statement to
|!say that all 'approved' towbars cannot be used with raised towballs or
|!15mm maximum spacers.
|!
|!The certification for 'approved' towbars gives an envelope of usage
|!conditions within which the certification is valid. These conditions
|!include such things as the maximum spacer thickness that may be used
|!to space the towball rearwards and the maximum distance that the
|!towball may be raised/lowered. This envelope is frequently within the
|!limits that you quote. It is possible that some tow bar manufacturers
|!have wider limits than others: worth checking.
|!
|!However there are certified towbars with limits far beyond those that
|!you quote - but for vehicles which many won't describe as cars.

Do you have a URL for that?
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org
Old February 13th 07, 07:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:44:06 +0000, Dougal
DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk wrote:

|[email protected] home wrote:
|! "Matt H" wrote in message
|! .uk...
|!
|!Hi Chaps,
|!
|!Had my new Avensis Estate November got my tow bar fitted January and
|!brought a new caravan last week took it away this weekend and noticed that
|!when connected to the car it's lower than the last caravan we had... it
|!brushes speed bumps on the Jockey wheel.
|!
|!I can't take it off cus it's built in to the A frame of the van...
|!
|!You can get drop plates but there are warnings saying they are not to be
|!used for raising the tow ball why is this can anyone tell me.....???
|!
|!Is there a way to raise the tow ball ?
|!
|!Matt
|!
|!
|! Nope, nor can you lower it. Yours is approved towbar and you cannot fit
|! plates other than a spacer of up to 15mm.
|!
|! Cheers
|!
|! D
|!
|!We discussed this here 12 months ago!

People do not read *everything* on a newsgroup.
Its like being at a noisy party, some things you hear and some you miss.