New Car

Old February 12th 07, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

Default New Car

Hi all

Just a quick query I am about to pick a new car from a company car
list...

My decision has been narrowed down to an Audi A6 Avent 2.0 or 2.7. My
biggest decision is whether to go for the Multitronic or manual. Has
anyone any experience of these cars ? Or does anyone have any
comments re the multitronic ? I have never towed with an automatic
and I am concerned that it will struggle. Any advice re multitronic/
automatics and towing also ??

I have checked the car with my van and it is at about 79%, so should
be fine. Any advice would be greatfully received...

Thanks

Peter

Old February 12th 07, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John G

"Peter" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all

Just a quick query I am about to pick a new car from a company car
list...

My decision has been narrowed down to an Audi A6 Avent 2.0 or 2.7. My
biggest decision is whether to go for the Multitronic or manual. Has
anyone any experience of these cars ? Or does anyone have any
comments re the multitronic ? I have never towed with an automatic
and I am concerned that it will struggle. Any advice re multitronic/
automatics and towing also ??

I have checked the car with my van and it is at about 79%, so should
be fine. Any advice would be greatfully received...

Thanks

Peter

Watch the KSW. I ordered a Passat estate, also VAG, last November because of
it's high KSW. It is now awaiting my collection on 1 March. The drivers
handbook quotes a figure 205 kgs lighter than the 206 brochure. The 207
brochure has also been reduced. My weight ratio has gone from 77% to 89.4%.
I am not very pleased. According to the small print they can change the
spec.

John G

Old February 12th 07, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TTT

Watch the KSW. I ordered a Passat estate, also VAG, last November because
of it's high KSW. It is now awaiting my collection on 1 March. The drivers
handbook quotes a figure 205 kgs lighter than the 206 brochure. The 207
brochure has also been reduced. My weight ratio has gone from 77% to
89.4%. I am not very pleased. According to the small print they can change
the spec.

John G

Wow - that's a lot of weight for them to trim off - the brochure must have
been wrong. Just as well you weren't right up to the limits, and can
understand your displeasure!

Old February 12th 07, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"John G" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

I presume they have left the towing limit where it was to at least keep you
legal.

Cheers

Old February 12th 07, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John G

"TTT" wrote in message
Watch the KSW. I ordered a Passat estate, also VAG, last November because
of it's high KSW. It is now awaiting my collection on 1 March. The
drivers handbook quotes a figure 205 kgs lighter than the 206 brochure.
The 207 brochure has also been reduced. My weight ratio has gone from 77%
to 89.4%. I am not very pleased. According to the small print they can
change the spec.

John G

Wow - that's a lot of weight for them to trim off - the brochure must have
been wrong. Just as well you weren't right up to the limits, and can
understand your displeasure!

I do wonder just how many people bought the car like myself for it's high
KSW and 85 kg hook weight that may have serious problems due to VW spec
information not to mention being over the 100% ratio. I have asked VW UK to
take it up as a safety issue with VW Germany. Since my previous post and a
threat to not go through with the deal the dealer has come up with the
actual KSW for my car 1558 kg. Not as high as I would have liked but I will
just make 85%.

John G

Old February 13th 07, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John G

"[email protected] home" wrote in message

"John G" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

The maximum towing weight is still 1800 kgs. My interpretation of the law is
that the maximum you can legally tow in the UK is 100% of Caravan MTPLM /
Car KSW which is the car kerbside weight.

In the case of my car the sales brochure quoted 1715 kgs, the figure I
expected to get when I ordered the car.

The drivers handbook gives the KSW as 1510 kgs, down 205 kgs.

The manufacturers database gives the KSW for my individual car, with my
options, as 1585 kgs.

The car may be capable of towing 1800 kgs but if my caravan MTPLM was
greater than 1558 kgs I could not legally tow it.

John G

Old February 13th 07, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"John G" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

Not true.

You can legally tow up to 1800kg.

However, the Industry and the Clubs 'recommend' that you do not tow more
than 100% of your vehicle kerbweight.

It is possible that the Passat estate brochure shows the kerbweight for the
2.8 V6 4motion variant or the W12 which would both be a bit heavier than
some of the smaller engined, more basic variants.

As a 'frinstance'. The Land Defender weighs about 2 tonnes, depending on
spec. Manufacturers towing limit 4 tonnes. The Vauxhall Zafira 1.6,
kerbweight 1.5 tonnes, Manufacturers towing limit only 1 tonne.

Cheers

Old February 13th 07, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:30:13 -0000, "John G"
wrote:

The maximum towing weight is still 1800 kgs. My interpretation of the law is
that the maximum you can legally tow in the UK is 100% of Caravan MTPLM /
Car KSW which is the car kerbside weight.

In the case of my car the sales brochure quoted 1715 kgs, the figure I
expected to get when I ordered the car.

The drivers handbook gives the KSW as 1510 kgs, down 205 kgs.

The manufacturers database gives the KSW for my individual car, with my
options, as 1585 kgs.

The car may be capable of towing 1800 kgs but if my caravan MTPLM was
greater than 1558 kgs I could not legally tow it.

If your driving licence is dated prior to 1998 you can tow a caravan
up to the maximum train weight of your car and caravan as stated on
the plate on the car, with the proviso that you must not exceed the
maximum permitted technical laden mass of the caravan ( stated on the
caravan plate. So in this instance you may legally tow more than the
cars KSW providing that you did not exceed the the two conditions
given above. I fact the manufacturers towing weight does not come into
the equation though it is probable that if you exceeded it then your
insurance company might take a dim view of it and Plod might choose to
to ask that it be taken into consideration. This is what the law says,
but in practice the recommendations say that up to 85% is fine, and
with care and experience and adequate power up to 100% is acceptable.

If your licence is dated after 1998 then the two conditions stated
above apply but also you may not tow a caravan that has a MTPLM (
whether you actually load the van to this level or not ) which exceeds
the unladen mass ( not necessarily the same as the KSW given by the
manufacturer but a UK figure which is the mass of the car with all
necessary fluids but no fuel and no driver )nor may the train weight
of the combination exceed 3500kg.

Bill Lord

Old February 13th 07, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

"bill lord" wrote in message

[...]

I passed my test in 1969, but I have to renew my licence every 3 years due
to eyesight problems. My 7500kg entitlement vanished on one such renewal,
replaced by the 3500kg given to all drivers since 1997 (1998?).

I queried this with DVLA who grudgingly gave me back my BE group, with the
following statement;
"Providing the vehicle used to tow the trailer does not exceed 3500kg
Maximum Authorised Mass, then any size trailer may be towed behind this
vehicle under the category BE entitlement".

--
Budgie
NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere.