towing training

« - | - »

Old February 13th 07, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
richard seed

Default towing training

my wife has recently passed her driving test and wants to take the
relevant course to allow her tow our 14 caravan can any member of the
ng give advice asto where she can do the test and who might do the
teaching ?

Thanks
Old February 14th 07, 07:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:33:21 +0000, richard seed
wrote:

|!my wife has recently passed her driving test and wants to take the
|!relevant course to allow her tow our 14 caravan can any member of the
|!ng give advice asto where she can do the test and who might do the
|!teaching ?

AFAIK there is no test required to tow a 14 ft van with a big enough normal
car, it is allowed by her normal licence. The only problem with towing a
van is reversing which is not strictly necessary.

Both CCC http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/ and CC
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/ run towing courses, best do one of them to
teach her how to reverse.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org
Old February 14th 07, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 07:02:36 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

AFAIK there is no test required to tow a 14 ft van with a big enough normal
car, it is allowed by her normal licence. The only problem with towing a
van is reversing which is not strictly necessary.

This is not correct. She has just passed her test and so is restricted
to the max gross train weight as plated on the vehicle together with
the max weight of the caravan as plated on the caravan neither figure
must be exceeded, in addition as a new licence holder she is
restricted to a max train weight of 3500kg and a caravan which has a
max technical permitted laden mass which does not exceed the unladen
weight of the car ( this is a UK value and is the mass of the car with
all necessary fluids but no fuel and no driver or passengers. )

To be able to exceed the last two conditions she would need to contact
the Driver licensing agency and take a test to upgrade her licence.
Just where she could get training that was specifically directed at
passing this test I do not know. However, both the CC and CCC do
arrange caravan manoevering courses which are probably all that she
would need to give her the confidence to tow any legal combination. So
if you are towing with an ordinary car as opposed to a large 4X4 and
your van is an ordinary 14' caravan this is all you are likely to need
to do. Most people seem to manage by just towing and being ultra
cautious for a while and carefully honing their own skills.

Bill Lord

Old February 14th 07, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , bill lord
writes
wrote:

[...]

From what little I know it's a nightmare. My son is in the amenity
landscaping business and getting people trained and through the test for
towing trailers has not been easy. It is virtually a retake of your
driving test with a trailer on the back and you can be failed for normal
driving errors.
--
hugh
Old February 14th 07, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

wrote:
|!
|!AFAIK there is no test required to tow a 14 ft van with a big enough normal
|!car, it is allowed by her normal licence. The only problem with towing a
|!van is reversing which is not strictly necessary.
|!
|!This is not correct. She has just passed her test and so is restricted
|!to the max gross train weight as plated on the vehicle together with
|!the max weight of the caravan as plated on the caravan neither figure
|!must be exceeded, in addition as a new licence holder she is
|!restricted to a max train weight of 3500kg and a caravan which has a
|!max technical permitted laden mass which does not exceed the unladen
|!weight of the car ( this is a UK value and is the mass of the car with
|!all necessary fluids but no fuel and no driver or passengers. )
|!
|!To be able to exceed the last two conditions she would need to contact
|!the Driver licensing agency and take a test to upgrade her licence.
|!Just where she could get training that was specifically directed at
|!passing this test I do not know. However, both the CC and CCC do
|!arrange caravan manoevering courses which are probably all that she
|!would need to give her the confidence to tow any legal combination. So
|!if you are towing with an ordinary car as opposed to a large 4X4 and
|!your van is an ordinary 14' caravan this is all you are likely to need
|!to do. Most people seem to manage by just towing and being ultra
|!cautious for a while and carefully honing their own skills.

Which is what I said, but in an overly wordy way.
Old February 14th 07, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

wrote:
|!
|!AFAIK there is no test required to tow a 14 ft van with a big enough normal
|!car, it is allowed by her normal licence. The only problem with towing a
|!van is reversing which is not strictly necessary.
|!
|!This is not correct. She has just passed her test and so is restricted
|!to the max gross train weight as plated on the vehicle together with
|!the max weight of the caravan as plated on the caravan neither figure
|!must be exceeded, in addition as a new licence holder she is
|!restricted to a max train weight of 3500kg and a caravan which has a
|!max technical permitted laden mass which does not exceed the unladen
|!weight of the car ( this is a UK value and is the mass of the car with
|!all necessary fluids but no fuel and no driver or passengers. )
|!
|!To be able to exceed the last two conditions she would need to contact
|!the Driver licensing agency and take a test to upgrade her licence.
|!Just where she could get training that was specifically directed at
|!passing this test I do not know. However, both the CC and CCC do
|!arrange caravan manoevering courses which are probably all that she
|!would need to give her the confidence to tow any legal combination. So
|!if you are towing with an ordinary car as opposed to a large 4X4 and
|!your van is an ordinary 14' caravan this is all you are likely to need
|!to do. Most people seem to manage by just towing and being ultra
|!cautious for a while and carefully honing their own skills.

Which is what I said, but in an overly wordy way.

You might think so I could not possibly comment

Bill Lord

Old February 14th 07, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
richard seed

wrote:
|!
|!AFAIK there is no test required to tow a 14 ft van with a big enough normal
|!car, it is allowed by her normal licence. The only problem with towing a
|!van is reversing which is not strictly necessary.
|!
|!This is not correct. She has just passed her test and so is restricted
|!to the max gross train weight as plated on the vehicle together with
|!the max weight of the caravan as plated on the caravan neither figure
|!must be exceeded, in addition as a new licence holder she is
|!restricted to a max train weight of 3500kg and a caravan which has a
|!max technical permitted laden mass which does not exceed the unladen
|!weight of the car ( this is a UK value and is the mass of the car with
|!all necessary fluids but no fuel and no driver or passengers. )
|!
|!To be able to exceed the last two conditions she would need to contact
|!the Driver licensing agency and take a test to upgrade her licence.
|!Just where she could get training that was specifically directed at
|!passing this test I do not know. However, both the CC and CCC do
|!arrange caravan manoevering courses which are probably all that she
|!would need to give her the confidence to tow any legal combination. So
|!if you are towing with an ordinary car as opposed to a large 4X4 and
|!your van is an ordinary 14' caravan this is all you are likely to need
|!to do. Most people seem to manage by just towing and being ultra
|!cautious for a while and carefully honing their own skills.

Which is what I said, but in an overly wordy way.

You might think so I could not possibly comment

Bill Lord

thank you all for that advice I'll start with the CCC and talk to DVLC

Richard

Old February 14th 07, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bert W

richard seed wrote:

thank you all for that advice I'll start with the CCC and talk to DVLC

When you come to Holland we can give your wife a caravan course. Right hand
drive no prob. ;-)

--
Regards, Bert W
http://www.caravantrekker.nl/instruc...soverzicht.php

Old February 15th 07, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

..
"Bert W" wrote in message
When you come to Holland we can give your wife a caravan course. Right
hand
drive no prob. ;-)

Give = Sell

--
Budgie
NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere

Old February 16th 07, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
etomd

"Budgie" wrote in message
.
"Bert W" wrote in message
When you come to Holland we can give your wife a caravan course. Right
hand
drive no prob. ;-)

Give = Sell

uk newsgroup = English