Dobbs Weir Caravan Site RIP

Old February 14th 07, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Elddis Presley

Default Dobbs Weir Caravan Site RIP

For anyone who uses the site at Dobbs Weir near Hoddesdon, Herts.

The site is to close on 17 September 2007. The reason for this is that
the land, and adjoining land, is to be used for building the White Water
Canoe Course for the 2012 Olympics. As a long term user of this site
I'm disgusted with this decision. There are plenty of rivers in Wales
and Scotland that are perfect for this sport - why build an artificial
one on flatland? And, after the Olympics are over, who is going to use
this facility? How many people do you know who go white water canoeing
(or have a desire to go)? To my mind this (and the entire Olympics) is
another example of the common man being inconvenienced in order for a
few rich people to get richer while providing a transient few days
entertainment for a bunch of couch potatoes. The only good thing about
all this is that a Vole and Otter sanctuary is to be created in the area
(who could complain about that?) but I'm sure that could be done without
closing the caravan site. I'll actually have moved to East Anglia by
the time all this happens but, nevertheless, I've complained to the Lee
Valley Authority which runs the site. Anyone else who wishes to
complain should go to http://www.leevalleypark.org.uk click on 'Contact
Us' and register their complaint.

Old February 16th 07, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Elddis Presley" wrote in message
For anyone who uses the site at Dobbs Weir near Hoddesdon, Herts.

The site is to close on 17 September 2007.

snip
To my mind this (and the entire Olympics) is
another example of the common man being inconvenienced in order for a few
rich people to get richer while providing a transient few days
entertainment for a bunch of couch potatoes. The only good thing about
all this is that a Vole and Otter sanctuary is to be created in the area
(who could complain about that?)

Like all things I guess it depends on which side of the fence you live and
what your own interests are.

For example some would question the need for an Otter sanctuary. Otters
are/have recovered well and are now thriving in the UK's waterways and some
Otter sanctuaries have closed reason ..... 'job done'. Others would advocate
the best way to save the Vole is to have a Mink cull. They would argue if
you don't do that releasing the Voles will be a pointless exercise ......
for them anyway .... but not the Mink ....... dinner time all over again.
Others say the Vole is destined to become extinct now because we have saved
the Otter and even if we kill all the Mink the thriving Otter population we
have created will just take over the role formerly attributed to the Mink
and eat the voles anyway. I hear others reckon there will be a showdown
between the Otter and Mink to reclaim control of the rivers and the food
they contain. If that happens (having watched both species) I would put my
money on the Mink ....... then the Vole and the Otter lose again. That's why
you have a significant number that reckon humans shouldn't interfere with
nature ........ for a minute there I forgot about that group. Then I guess
their are some who reckon all this makes the loss of a caravan site seem
somehow insignificance (sorry if that's your group) ..... ah but then there
are those that don't like Mink, Otters, Voles, Farming, Caravans, Caravan
sites, 4X4s, Zoos ............ ah well you know what I mean. Then you have
my group who think none of the foregoing is of any great concern ......
there is a bigger picture.

Stay well ........... Richard

Old February 16th 07, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

On Feb 14, 1:46 pm, "Elddis Presley" wrote:
Snip
.. There are plenty of rivers in Wales
and Scotland that are perfect for this sport - why build an artificial
one on flatland?

White Water Canoeing needs a consitent flow of water. Yes there are
many rivers but unless it has rained a lot of them don`t have much
water flow.
An artificial course has a consistent flow of water. Also the sahp[e
of the course can easily be modified on an artificial course, not so
easy on a river.

And, after the Olympics are over, who is going to use
this facility? How many people do you know who go white water canoeing
(or have a desire to go)?

Have a look at the usuage figures for the artificial courses at Holme
Pierpont and the White water centre on Teeside

Both these sites have caravan sites adjacent.

Cheers
Gerry

Old February 16th 07, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
meld3

What did you expect ??

London-ites (politicians, moneymen, BBC etc) don't know about the "dark
zone" (ie, outside the M25)....so you can't expect them to decamp to Wales
or Scotland during the Olympics in case they catch bubonic plague !!

That is the problem - everything has to be in 'London & South East', despite
their being no space, no water, and nobody in government remotely interested
about the rest of the sodding country (except Wales & Scotland because they
voted Labour !!)

rant rant !!

Adrian

Old February 18th 07, 02:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:46:05 -0000, "Elddis Presley"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the heads up Mr Presley, I was unaware of this.

As a user of this site(both tent and caravan) on more than one
occasion AND a canoeist, I shall miss this site. Therefore I shall
also register my disgust at this closure.

As a canoeist, the site is a good base from which to take leisurely
trips on the river. Not that I'm a white water paddler, but I would
have thought that there were already suitable artificial white water
courses existing.

As a camper/caravanner, the site is good for occasion trips into
London by train.

It would be nice if the closure could be prevented - alas I'll not
hold my breath!

Neil

Old February 18th 07, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Elddis Presley

"Richard" wrote in
message ...

"Elddis Presley" wrote in message
For anyone who uses the site at Dobbs Weir near Hoddesdon, Herts.

The site is to close on 17 September 2007.

For example some would question the need for an Otter sanctuary.
Otters are/have recovered well and are now thriving in the UK's
waterways and some Otter sanctuaries have closed reason ..... 'job
done'.

The River Lea borders the campsite (fishing is one of the site's
attractions to many). In ten years using the site I have yet to see an
otter.

Others would advocate the best way to save the Vole is to have a Mink
cull.

As above - I haven't seen a vole (or a mink) either.

Then I guess their are some who reckon all this makes the loss of a
caravan site seem somehow insignificance (sorry if that's your group)

Trust me. There is plenty of room for both the caravan site and the
sanctuary - with neither causing problems for the other.

Then you have my group who think none of the foregoing is of any great
concern ...... there is a bigger picture.

True but the bigger picture for this group is surely caravanning and the
loss of a good site in an area (around London) where sites are scarce
should be of concern.

Old February 18th 07, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Elddis Presley

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'll take your word that the two courses are well used, but maybe the
existence of the caravan sites is a major attraction to the courses,
otherwise visitors from a distance would have to pay for hotel
accommodation etc. But, there won't be a caravan site at the Olympic
course.

Old February 18th 07, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Elddis Presley" wrote in message

"Richard" wrote in
message ...

"Elddis Presley" wrote in message
For anyone who uses the site at Dobbs Weir near Hoddesdon, Herts.

The site is to close on 17 September 2007.

For example some would question the need for an Otter sanctuary. Otters
are/have recovered well and are now thriving in the UK's waterways and
some Otter sanctuaries have closed reason ..... 'job done'.

The River Lea borders the campsite (fishing is one of the site's
attractions to many). In ten years using the site I have yet to see an
otter.

You are very lucky to see an Otter in passing during the day. You really
need to set up a hide (in an appropriate place) and visit and use it when
they are active. Otherwise you have to look for signs of Otter activity, for
example the way they slaughter hundreds of frogs in spring by sucking their
inards out through the skin and discarding the latter is unique to the
Otter. So if you are by a lake or river and see these then Otters are alive
and well. There are other tell tale signs also. There is stream fed lake
near me that has had active Otters (including young) for a number of years
now but the sightings by the general public which use the facilities there
are just a very few ....... about 2/3 reported in a decade.

Others would advocate the best way to save the Vole is to have a Mink
cull.

As above - I haven't seen a vole (or a mink) either.

Same applies ...... but I trust if you ever see a Mink you will do the right
thing and help protect are native species, namely Otters and Voles.

Then I guess their are some who reckon all this makes the loss of a
caravan site seem somehow insignificance (sorry if that's your group)

Trust me. There is plenty of room for both the caravan site and the
sanctuary - with neither causing problems for the other.

Your banging your head on the wall with me if you reckon Otters still need
santuraries ...... whether the caravan site is kept or not 'time will tell'.

Then you have my group who think none of the foregoing is of any great
concern ...... there is a bigger picture.

True but the bigger picture for this group is surely caravanning

Well let's hope not ........

and the
loss of a good site in an area (around London) where sites are scarce
should be of concern.

But not a major calamity.

Stay well ........... Richard

Old February 19th 07, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian

"Elddis Presley" wrote in message
For anyone who uses the site at Dobbs Weir near Hoddesdon, Herts.

The site is to close on 17 September 2007. The reason for this is that
the land, and adjoining land, is to be used for building the White Water
Canoe Course for the 2012 Olympics. As a long term user of this site I'm
disgusted with this decision.

HI Elddis

Thank you for alerting us to this, can you let me know anywhere where I can
actually read about this on the net - press release / news report or
whatever?

Old February 19th 07, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Elddis Presley

"Ian" wrote in message
"Elddis Presley" wrote in message
For anyone who uses the site at Dobbs Weir near Hoddesdon, Herts.

The site is to close on 17 September 2007. The reason for this is
that the land, and adjoining land, is to be used for building the
White Water Canoe Course for the 2012 Olympics. As a long term user
of this site I'm disgusted with this decision.

HI Elddis

Thank you for alerting us to this, can you let me know anywhere where
I can
actually read about this on the net - press release / news report or
whatever?

Hi Ian, I got the news in a letter from Lee Valley Authority which I
assume they sent to everyone who, like me, stores their caravan at Dobbs
weir. I don't know if there are any places on the net where you could
read about the closure, there was no mention on the Lee Valley website.