Newbie requires advice

Old February 15th 07, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Default Newbie requires advice

I have a volvo 440 2.0 manual and wondered if anybody can reccomend a
'cheap' van to tow as I cant find info on older caravans. Alsoi if
anyone has towed using a 440 could they tell me if they are any good
as a towcar?
Thnks in advance for your replies.
Mark

Old February 19th 07, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Dowdeswell

Mark,
Take a look at http://www.whattowcar.com/ This site will help you make some
choices and, although I can't vouch for it's accuracy, it does reflect the
tow experience I have with a Rover 75 and a Bailey 100. To fall within the
85% car to caravan weight ratio you will need to find a very lightweight
caravan as the 440 seems to weigh only 1021 kg.

Hope this helps.

Alan
oups.com...

Old February 19th 07, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

wrote in news:1171538130.693152.295880
@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

I have a volvo 440 2.0 manual and wondered if anybody can reccomend a
'cheap' van to tow as I cant find info on older caravans. Alsoi if
anyone has towed using a 440 could they tell me if they are any good
as a towcar?

A search turned up
http://www.gocaravanning.com/towcars/volvo.html which
suggests that the kerbweight of your car is 1040kg or slightly more. An 85%
match for that is 884kg - so you're looking for a very lightweight caravan.

FWIW, I haven't been able to find much data on the 'net for caravans over
ten years old. However, the caravan dealers near you are an excellent
source of information. Take a look at their stock. Check the VIN plates to
get a feel for the size and trim level that fits with the low towing weight
for your car and to see if you can find a layout that suits you. If you can
find a caravan to suit, then widen your scope to include the classifieds
etc. If you can't find one that suits because of the weight limitations,
you'll at least know that you need to change your car!

HTH,

--
Geoff
Old February 19th 07, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

:
|!
|! I have a volvo 440 2.0 manual and wondered if anybody can reccomend a
|! 'cheap' van to tow as I cant find info on older caravans. Alsoi if
|! anyone has towed using a 440 could they tell me if they are any good
|! as a towcar?
|!
|!A search turned up http://www.gocaravanning.com/towcars/volvo.html which
|!suggests that the kerbweight of your car is 1040kg or slightly more. An 85%
|!match for that is 884kg - so you're looking for a very lightweight caravan.
|!
|!FWIW, I haven't been able to find much data on the 'net for caravans over
|!ten years old. However, the caravan dealers near you are an excellent
|!source of information. Take a look at their stock. Check the VIN plates to
|!get a feel for the size and trim level that fits with the low towing weight
|!for your car and to see if you can find a layout that suits you. If you can
|!find a caravan to suit, then widen your scope to include the classifieds
|!etc. If you can't find one that suits because of the weight limitations,
|!you'll at least know that you need to change your car!

Just remember that heavy gas guzzlers will be taxed off the market within
the life of a car, so resale prices will fall faster than you would expect.

IMO small light caravans will come back into fashion as a result.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org