Towbar - Removeable Or Fixed

Old March 3rd 07, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
cbjroms

Default Towbar - Removeable Or Fixed

Having always had a fixed towbar, I wonder whether there are any real
advantages of moving to a removeable?

Although they can spoil a car, I suspect that I would seldom be bothered to
remove the bar other than perhaps for the winter.

I would be interested in the experience of others on this question.

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris

Old March 3rd 07, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"cbjroms" wrote in message
Having always had a fixed towbar, I wonder whether there are any real
advantages of moving to a removeable?

Although they can spoil a car, I suspect that I would seldom be bothered
to remove the bar other than perhaps for the winter.

I would be interested in the experience of others on this question.

One thing I like about a fixed one is people following give you more
respect, they do not want to run into it.

Please reply to News Group

Old March 3rd 07, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

cbjroms typed:
Having always had a fixed towbar, I wonder whether there are any real
advantages of moving to a removeable?

Although they can spoil a car, I suspect that I would seldom be
bothered to remove the bar other than perhaps for the winter.

I would be interested in the experience of others on this question.

I have ordered a removable towbar (and diesel tank protector) for my
Landrover Discovery, simply because it stops the 'normal' towbar acting
like a plough whilst off-roading ...

--
Paul - xxx
ebay stuff 140089503663 140089502223

Old March 3rd 07, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
smiler

"cbjroms" wrote in message
Having always had a fixed towbar, I wonder whether there are any real
advantages of moving to a removeable?

Although they can spoil a car, I suspect that I would seldom be bothered
to remove the bar other than perhaps for the winter.

I would be interested in the experience of others on this question.

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris

I have to have a removable towbar as a fixed one obscures the number plate.

It's a Witter. Fits fine. Can be difficult to remove in that leverage is
difficult to obtain on the 2" handle when pressing it down. Difficulty
overcome by using a 3 by 5 piece of wood with a slot over it then its a
doddle.

I use a Alko stabiliser, as it is removed from the car it keeps in good
condition. When it wears, which it will do eventually then it will be more
expensive to replace.

Cheers
Smiler.

Old March 3rd 07, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Miller

"cbjroms" wrote in message
Having always had a fixed towbar, I wonder whether there are any real
advantages of moving to a removeable?

Although they can spoil a car, I suspect that I would seldom be bothered
to remove the bar other than perhaps for the winter.

I would be interested in the experience of others on this question.

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris

I've got a Brink removeable after years of fixed bars, mainly because a
fixed bar would have partially obscured the number plate. It is easy & quick
to install & remove, makes the car look neater and doesn't rust at the same
rate that a fixed one would. On the whole, I'm very happy with it, but it
was much more expensive than the fixed one and you will have to decide
whether the extra cost is worth it. If you're going to leave the ball in
position, then I cannot see the point of paying the extra money for a
removeable one.

John Miller

Old March 4th 07, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

John Miller wrote:

"cbjroms" wrote in message
[...]

My car only just goes in my garage with ball attached. If I ever get a
slightly longer car I may need a detachable bar. Otherwise, I prefer the
added protection offered by a permanent towball.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old March 4th 07, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Cole

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 09:32:48 -0000, "Roger Mills"
wrote:
My car only just goes in my garage with ball attached. If I ever get a
slightly longer car I may need a detachable bar. Otherwise, I prefer the
added protection offered by a permanent towball.

Roger,

I agree about the protection bit and as an additional benefit, you don't
need a reversing sensor either :-)

Richard
Web pages: http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/ for caravanning,
http://www.rcole.org/ for my personal web site and
http://www.homeindorset.co.uk because I love the email address.
--
Death of Gerbils, too? Amazing how you can catch them on those treadmills-. -
'Soul Music' by Terry Pratchett