Freelander Diesel 2.0 as a tow car

Old March 3rd 07, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kate.tomlinson

Default Freelander Diesel 2.0 as a tow car

Hi, does anyone have experience of using this. We are in the process of
changing both the car and the caravan and would like other people's
experiences with the car for towing

--
Kate

Old March 4th 07, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

kate.tomlinson wrote:

Hi, does anyone have experience of using this. We are in the process
of changing both the car and the caravan and would like other people's
experiences with the car for towing

What weight of caravan do you want to tow with it?

What vintage of Freelander are you considering? ISTR that early ones had
some problems - unsuitable gear ratios maybe? (can't remember the details).

It's 4-wheel drive, so adhesion should be good on most surfaces. However,
unlike a *real* Landrover, it doesn't have a low ratio transfer box in
addition to the normal ratios - so there are no ultra-low gears to get you
out of trouble on steep hills or off-road.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old March 4th 07, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kate.tomlinson

I'm note sure about the weight of the caravan, I should find out today
(we're swapping car and van at the same time) but it's a 17' Abbey Oxford.
The Freelander is a 2001 model

Kate

Old March 4th 07, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bert W

kate.tomlinson wrote:

Hi, does anyone have experience of using this. We are in the
process
of changing both the car and the caravan and would like other
people's experiences with the car for towing

What weight of caravan do you want to tow with it?

What vintage of Freelander are you considering? ISTR that early ones
had some problems - unsuitable gear ratios maybe? (can't remember the
details).

It's 4-wheel drive, so adhesion should be good on most surfaces.
However, unlike a *real* Landrover, it doesn't have a low ratio
transfer box in addition to the normal ratios - so there are no
ultra-low gears to get you out of trouble on steep hills or off-road.

I'm note sure about the weight of the caravan, I should find out today
(we're swapping car and van at the same time) but it's a 17' Abbey
Oxford. The Freelander is a 2001 model

I've tested the 2.0 di in the 1998 Dutch TCoY contest and found it hard to
drive off on the 1:8 hill. The caravan weighed 1300 kgs.
Take a look at the towing abilities of the car on www.whattowcar.com or make
comparisons.

--
Regards, Bert W
www.whattowcar.com

Old March 4th 07, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Bert W wrote:

I've tested the 2.0 di in the 1998 Dutch TCoY contest and found it
hard to drive off on the 1:8 hill. The caravan weighed 1300 kgs.
Take a look at the towing abilities of the car on www.whattowcar.com
or make comparisons.

I didn't think there *were* any 1 in 8 hills in Holland! g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old March 5th 07, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

Great little 4x4 tow tug and pulls well for its engine. my wife had
one for 6 years and it did the job fine. Problem was it kept having
small thing go wrong. Had 3 fuel pumps in one year. 700.
So strong engine but be aware some do have problems now and again.

Bought a shogun warrior 3.2 this time.

Old March 5th 07, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"kate.tomlinson" wrote in message
Hi, does anyone have experience of using this. We are in the process of
changing both the car and the caravan and would like other people's
experiences with the car for towing

--
Kate

There are two very different 2.0L Freelander Diesels. The early model was a
bit suspect (to say the least). In 2000/01 (ish) [after take-over] the
Freelander Diesel was fitted with the BMW 320 diesel engine and designated
the TD4 (that's the easiest way to tell the difference from an outside
glance. About 70% of the parts were replaced (with those normally used by
BMW) and the build quality substantially improved. The kerb weight of the
TD4 is around 1750 Kg and nose weight 150Kg. I tow around 1400Kg with ease
(it will do more) and when towing this model returns about 26mpg .........
when not towing the figure is about 36/38mpg. BTW ... the torque profile of
this BMW engine leaves the predecessor standing. I have a late '01 TD4 which
has covered just over 82k and only one part has needed replacement which you
would consider to be outside the normal maintenance/wear and tear bracket.
BTW TD4 is fitted with chains (not cam belts) so shouldn't be any worries
there either.

Don't want to sway you but ...... HTH ............. Richard

Old March 5th 07, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kate.tomlinson

Thanks to all who replied, some interesting points to note. It is a TD4 by
the way.

PS Sorry to be ignorant but what is HTH

Kate

news

Old March 5th 07, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
me

"kate.tomlinson" wrote in message
news
Thanks to all who replied, some interesting points to note. It is a TD4
by the way.

PS Sorry to be ignorant but what is HTH

Kate

Hope that helps