Newcomer needs direction/advice please

Old March 8th 07, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dribbler

Default Newcomer needs direction/advice please

I am totally new to caravanning and recently bought a 2 berth Avondale Perle
Orestes (1994) to go with my Xantia SX TD. I have never pulled even a
trailer before so I'm dreading picking it up at the weekend.

Advice please!

I am looking at insuring it but have no idea where to start. What should I
be aware of/look out for?

I see that there are lots of sites that are Caravan Club registered. Is
joining this really important for an enthusiastic newcomer?

Are there any unwritten rules in caravanning/towing?

Is learning non teutonic gesticulations essential?

Thanks very much,

Dribbler
|__ If I were a rat....
( o )\_ I'd be cured by now!

Old March 8th 07, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Dribbler" wrote in message
I am totally new to caravanning and recently bought a 2 berth Avondale
Perle Orestes (1994) to go with my Xantia SX TD. I have never pulled even a
trailer before so I'm dreading picking it up at the weekend.

Ask the dealer for tips, they might let you drive round the car park for a
few minutes.

Advice please!

I am looking at insuring it but have no idea where to start. What should I
be aware of/look out for?

I see that there are lots of sites that are Caravan Club registered. Is
joining this really important for an enthusiastic newcomer?

It's not vital but it could enrich your experience and give you a lot of
information. I'm a member of the Camping and Caravanning Club and enjoy the
monthly magazine.

Are there any unwritten rules in caravanning/towing?

Courtesy.

At the first opportunity treat yourself to a towing course, you won't look
back! And you'll be able to give authoritative advice to others then.

Is learning non teutonic gesticulations essential?

Absolutely not.

Mary

Old March 8th 07, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

Hi, so many questions, so little time, but here we go

"Dribbler" wrote in message
I am totally new to caravanning and recently bought a 2 berth Avondale
Perle Orestes (1994) to go with my Xantia SX TD. I have never pulled even a
trailer before so I'm dreading picking it up at the weekend.

The Xantia will have no problem with the Orestes, it could probably pull two
of them, but please do not try it. For the first 10 minutes you will spend
more time looking in the mirror than watching where you are going, be
careful. You may relax enough to look forward but then suddenly you will
flick your eyes at the mirror and wonder what thehell is so close to your
bumper. Half a second later you will relax when you realise its your
caravan.

Advice please!

I am looking at insuring it but have no idea where to start. What should I
be aware of/look out for?

There are many caravan insurers out there, Personal experience would lead me
to suggest you don't use E and L, but I've heard no horror stories about any
others. Wise, NFU and Saga are some, other than that, see below

I see that there are lots of sites that are Caravan Club registered. Is
joining this really important for an enthusiastic newcomer?

It is not compulsory to wear shell suits or matching bobble hats when you
join the Caravan Club (other clubs are available). The Club has its own
sites and access to Certified Locations, which are sites for members only,
with minimal facilities, but also minimal prices. The Club also has its own
insurance service

Are there any unwritten rules in caravanning/towing?

They are unwritten, therefore can only be spoken about!! You don't think I'm
going to fall for that one.

Is learning non teutonic gesticulations essential?

No, traditional gesticulations are perfectly acceptable.

Best of all, enjoy.

Thanks very much,

Dribbler
|__ If I were a rat....
( o )\_ I'd be cured by now!

Old March 8th 07, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Dribbler wrote:

I am totally new to caravanning and recently bought a 2 berth
Avondale Perle Orestes (1994) to go with my Xantia SX TD. I have
never pulled even a trailer before so I'm dreading picking it up at
the weekend.
Advice please!

I am looking at insuring it but have no idea where to start. What
should I be aware of/look out for?

You'll want a policy which covers accidental damage to the caravan and all
your camping equipment. [Your car insurance covers third party claims if you
crash your caravan into somebody while towing it, but doesn't cover damage
to the caravan itself.] You'll also need public liabaility insurance just in
case somebody tries to blame you when they trip over your mains cable and
break their neck. Some policies cover hiring an alternative caravan if yours
is damaged on the way to a holiday site. Reasonable companies include Saga
(if you're over 50), Bakers of Cheltenham, and the Caravan Club - but there
are others.

I see that there are lots of sites that are Caravan Club registered.
Is joining this really important for an enthusiastic newcomer?

It's a good idea. Not only does it give you access to a lot more sites -
particularly the small 'Certificated Locations' which are only open to
members - but the handbook contains a wealth of technical information.

Are there any unwritten rules in caravanning/towing?

I'm sure they've all been written (quite a lot of them in the CC handbook),
but here's a few:
* Learn to load your caravan correctly, and measure the noseweight to ensure
it is within the recommended and legal limits
* Develop a routine for hitching up - double checking that the hitch is
firmly attached to the ball, that the lights are connected and working, that
the breakaway cable is connected, etc.
* Make sure that you have an adequate rear view - using extended mirrors, or
separate towing mirrors if necessary
* Allow extra width on tight left turns to make sure that the caravan wheel
doesn't run over the curb
* Concentrate even more than usual when driving in order to anticipate
hazards ahead and avoid having to stop suddenly
* If possible, practise manoeuvring the van - particularly reversing - in a
wide open space such an empty carpark

Is learning non teutonic gesticulations essential?

I don't know what you mean! g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old March 8th 07, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Dribbler wrote :
I am totally new to caravanning and recently bought a 2 berth Avondale Perle
Orestes (1994) to go with my Xantia SX TD. I have never pulled even a trailer
before so I'm dreading picking it up at the weekend.

You will soon get used to the idea. Allow a bit more room from the
kerb, only an extra three or so inches. Take a wider sweep of the tight
corners than you normally would. Plan an easy route home from where you
collect it and at least at first, avoid the need to reverse it. Take it
somewhere with plenty of space to get lots of reversing practise,
perhaps even pay for some lessons. Remember that when reversing the
caravan can quite quickly jacknife. Learn to reverse a long way back
keeping a straight course, just in case you come head to head on a
single track road with a driver who never learned to reverse a solo car
- it does happen, believe me.

I see that there are lots of sites that are Caravan Club registered. Is
joining this really important for an enthusiastic newcomer?

Not desperately so, but they can be useful.

Are there any unwritten rules in caravanning/towing?

If you are causing delays on the road, pull in to let them past.

Keep any weight you put in the caravan as low down as possible, and
over its wheels. Make sure everything is firmly located unable to move
or rock and avoid carrying liquid which can slop about, perhaps making
the van rock. Make sure the weight on the hitch is around 60 to 70kg.
Think about using a stabiliser, which helps stop oscillations
(snaking). Keep your speed down, until you are very experienced and
absolutely confident of your abilities towing. Keep your speed down
anyway on long downhill stretches, as this is where snaking can start
and be most difficult to regain control.

Watch out when being overtaken by large vehicles at speed, they can
seem to suck the trailer towards them - so be ready for it and of
course sudden side winds on some roads.

Have a good look through the mirror as to how the caravan ought to look
with both tyres properly inflated, watch for any change in the level it
might be a flat tyre - you don't get much in the way of other warnings
about a flat.

Oh, and make sure your breakdown cover includes a trailer - two
vehicles with almost double the possibilities of breaking down. Despite
which I have only ever suffered one puncture in the middle of the
night, on the highest part of motorway in the UK.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old March 8th 07, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Pleavin

For the eager newcomer who is keen to do week-end rallies I would recommend
the Camping and Caravanning club as, other that the odd exception, you don't
have to book for their rallies. main thing is, get out there and enjoy!

Old March 9th 07, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 17:56:02 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

|!
|!"Dribbler" wrote in message

|! I see that there are lots of sites that are Caravan Club registered. Is
|! joining this really important for an enthusiastic newcomer?
|!
|!It's not vital but it could enrich your experience and give you a lot of
|!information. I'm a member of the Camping and Caravanning Club and enjoy the
|!monthly magazine.

I use the CCC Big Sites Book on most holidays, which contains 4000 places
you can camp including some 1500 members only places.
Read the listings with care, come places do not take caravans, and other
large commercial sites I would not be seen dead on.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Compare and contrast
Sharia Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia
Old March 9th 07, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Remus

"Dribbler" wrote in message
I see that there are lots of sites that are Caravan Club registered.
Is joining this really important for an enthusiastic newcomer?

I'd recommend joining it and also The Camping & Caravanning Club - at
least for your first year. Both clubs have lots of their own sites and
also a network of mini sites (on farms, behind pubs etc). They'll send
you books listing all their sites. You'll also get their monthly
magazines.

Are there any unwritten rules in caravanning/towing?

Yes, when reversing onto a pitch, if your wife begins to shriek, stop,
get out and see what the problem is. When reversing I find my wife's
guidance signals incomprehensible - but shrieks I understand :-)

Old March 9th 07, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 12:45:43 -0000, "Remus" wrote:

|!
|!"Dribbler" wrote in message
|! I see that there are lots of sites that are Caravan Club registered.
|! Is joining this really important for an enthusiastic newcomer?
|!
|!I'd recommend joining it and also The Camping & Caravanning Club - at
|!least for your first year. Both clubs have lots of their own sites and
|!also a network of mini sites (on farms, behind pubs etc). They'll send
|!you books listing all their sites. You'll also get their monthly
|!magazines.
|!
|! Are there any unwritten rules in caravanning/towing?
|!
|!Yes, when reversing onto a pitch, if your wife begins to shriek, stop,
|!get out and see what the problem is. When reversing I find my wife's
|!guidance signals incomprehensible - but shrieks I understand :-)

Someone else has probably mentioned that both CC&C and CC do caravan
manoeuvrering courses. I am told that these will allow you to reverse
onto a pitch. I have chosen a small van which June and I can push by
hand, which means that I do not have to reverse ;-)

Old March 9th 07, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 13:53:04 -0000, "Dribbler"
wrote:

I am totally new to caravanning and recently bought a 2 berth Avondale Perle
Orestes (1994) to go with my Xantia SX TD. I have never pulled even a
trailer before so I'm dreading picking it up at the weekend.

Advice please!

They are a nice lightweight van, you should have absolutely no bother
towing with your Xantia.

I am looking at insuring it but have no idea where to start. What should I
be aware of/look out for?

If you join either the CC or the CCC then their insurances are
recommended and generallly good value. Lots of people like NFU mutual
and Saga if you are over 50

I see that there are lots of sites that are Caravan Club registered. Is
joining this really important for an enthusiastic newcomer?

If you join the CC you get their handbook which contains a wealth of
useful information and also details of their 200+ Club sites which are
of a consistently high standard, and also the list of over 3000 CL's
which are small sites licensed only to take a maximum of 5 vans which
are only available to CC members. If you join the CCC you get their
big sites book which contains details of their 100 club sites and
their 1000 or so CS's ( like CL's but for CCC members only but in
addition to the 5 vans they are allowed also to admit an unspecified
number of tents.

Are there any unwritten rules in caravanning/towing?

No, just use common sense, learn how to load your caravan properly and
do not overload it. Be wary of large vehicles overtaking you on the
motorway you are likely to feel quite a sway when they go past. Above
all be patient.

Is learning non teutonic gesticulations essential?

No, just learn the word Manyana and apply it.

Bill Lord