Generator covers, I may have sent in wrong format, please excuse repeat

Old March 9th 07, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Pleavin

Default Generator covers, I may have sent in wrong format, please excuse repeat

Everyone I know who owns a 'Gennie' seems to have a cover/muffler to cover
it and reduce noise whilst in use. However, non of them can remember where
they got them from or they bought it off a friend. Problem is, that, having
bought a new Bailey, my leisure battery can't cope with the lighting system
so, I have bought a gennie, (I know, I'm letting the side down) so I need a
cover and can't get one anywhere. Can anyone out there help?

Old March 9th 07, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Harry Pleavin" wrote in
:

Everyone I know who owns a 'Gennie' seems to have a cover/muffler to
cover it and reduce noise whilst in use. However, non of them can
remember where they got them from or they bought it off a friend.
Problem is, that, having bought a new Bailey, my leisure battery can't
cope with the lighting system so, I have bought a gennie, (I know, I'm
letting the side down) so I need a cover and can't get one anywhere.
Can anyone out there help?

I know that your fellow campers won't be your best friends if you use a
gennie on some sites. However, if having read Dave's "do without the orange
cable" tips you still feel the need:

http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/ has a lot of helpful tips on
soundproofing. Although they're more into music studios etc. they do have
some info on soundproofing machinery and can supply materials if you want
to make your own.

http://www.noisekiller.co.uk/ is another site that might be able to help.
Again, you'd need to make your own using the materials they can provide.

There are other companies that can help - searching the Internet for
"portable generator soundproofing" should turn up a few.

Be aware that some soundproofing technologies can add a lot of weight to
your generator.

HTH,

--
Geoff
Old March 9th 07, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mg

On Mar 9, 8:04 am, "Harry Pleavin"
wrote:
Everyone I know who owns a 'Gennie' seems to have a cover/muffler to cover
it and reduce noise whilst in use. However, non of them can remember where
they got them from or they bought it off a friend. Problem is, that, having
bought a new Bailey, my leisure battery can't cope with the lighting system
so, I have bought a gennie, (I know, I'm letting the side down) so I need a
cover and can't get one anywhere. Can anyone out there help?

My experience has been that it's almost impossible to quiet a noisy
generator. Some people go to a local muffler shop and have a quieter
muffler welded on, but the consensus seems to be that it doesn't help
a lot.

I read one post once where a fellow built a small fence around his
generator using PVC pipe and then draped moving blankets over the
"fence". He bought the blankets for a good price on eBay. He said that
helped quite a bit. Putting the generator in a hole just deep enough
to put the engine and muffler slightly below ground level helps
somewhat.

I know it's a hard pill to swallow, but the best solution is to buy
one of those very quiet, small Honda or Yamaha generators that don't
put out very much noise in the first place. Look for something that
has a noise level rating under 60 dB.

Old March 9th 07, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

wrote:
|! Everyone I know who owns a 'Gennie' seems to have a cover/muffler to cover
|! it and reduce noise whilst in use. However, non of them can remember where
|! they got them from or they bought it off a friend. Problem is, that, having
|! bought a new Bailey, my leisure battery can't cope with the lighting system
|! so, I have bought a gennie, (I know, I'm letting the side down) so I need a
|! cover and can't get one anywhere. Can anyone out there help?
|!
|!My experience has been that it's almost impossible to quiet a noisy
|!generator. Some people go to a local muffler shop and have a quieter
|!muffler welded on, but the consensus seems to be that it doesn't help
|!a lot.
|!
|!I read one post once where a fellow built a small fence around his
|!generator using PVC pipe and then draped moving blankets over the
|!"fence". He bought the blankets for a good price on eBay. He said that
|!helped quite a bit. Putting the generator in a hole just deep enough
|!to put the engine and muffler slightly below ground level helps
|!somewhat.
|!
|!I know it's a hard pill to swallow, but the best solution is to buy
|!one of those very quiet, small Honda or Yamaha generators that don't
|!put out very much noise in the first place. Look for something that
|!has a noise level rating under 60 dB.

60db is far too loud for a camp site, beside a busy road 60db would be
effectively silent. Competing only with song birds, the lapping of the
water in the lake, they are *much* too intrusive.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Compare and contrast
Sharia Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia
Old March 9th 07, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lee_D

Dave Fawthrop uttered summat
worrerz funny about:

wrote:
[...]

Depends what distance you measure it from for a start.

I've found the Honda no more iritating than the kids scooting up and down a
tarmac site with stabalisers on their bike.

I don't own a honda , these are my observations having been parked next to
one. My Genny is far louder and only used on showgrounds during the day if
required.

Lee

Old March 10th 07, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mg

On Mar 9, 12:21 pm, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:
On 9 Mar 2007 10:14:17 -0800, "mg" wrote:

|!On Mar 9, 8:04 am, "Harry wrote:

|! Everyone I know who owns a 'Gennie' seems to have a cover/muffler to cover
|! it and reduce noise whilst in use. However, non of them can remember where
|! they got them from or they bought it off a friend. Problem is, that, having
|! bought a new Bailey, my leisure battery can't cope with the lighting system
|! so, I have bought a gennie, (I know, I'm letting the side down) so I need a
|! cover and can't get one anywhere. Can anyone out there help?
|!
|!My experience has been that it's almost impossible to quiet a noisy
|!generator. Some people go to a local muffler shop and have a quieter
|!muffler welded on, but the consensus seems to be that it doesn't help
|!a lot.
|!
|!I read one post once where a fellow built a small fence around his
|!generator using PVC pipe and then draped moving blankets over the
|!"fence". He bought the blankets for a good price on eBay. He said that
|!helped quite a bit. Putting the generator in a hole just deep enough
|!to put the engine and muffler slightly below ground level helps
|!somewhat.
|!
|!I know it's a hard pill to swallow, but the best solution is to buy
|!one of those very quiet, small Honda or Yamaha generators that don't
|!put out very much noise in the first place. Look for something that
|!has a noise level rating under 60 dB.

60db is far too loud for a camp site, beside a busy road 60db would be
effectively silent. Competing only with song birds, the lapping of the
water in the lake, they are *much* too intrusive.

It's true 60 db is still quite loud and generators are intrusive. 60
db, however is about 1/4 as loud as the typical 80 db generator. If
there's another practical solution, like batteries for instance, that
would be best.

In the U.S., the noise limit in national parks is 67 dB (at 7m). Also,
Harry could actually do better than 60 db with the Euro version of the
Honda EU1000i. It's rated at 53 db at 1/4 load and 59 db at rated
load. The 1/4 load output would be 225 W and hopefully he would be
able to get along with that most of the time. In the U.S. the Honda
EU1000i costs about $700, as I recall.

In doing some quick research, it looks like the Euro version is EU10I.
The specifications are at:
http://tinyurl.com/35oycb

Old March 10th 07, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

wrote:

|! 60db is far too loud for a camp site, beside a busy road 60db would be
|! effectively silent. Competing only with song birds, the lapping of the
|! water in the lake, they are *much* too intrusive.
|!
|!It's true 60 db is still quite loud and generators are intrusive. 60
|!db, however is about 1/4 as loud as the typical 80 db generator. If
|!there's another practical solution, like batteries for instance, that
|!would be best.

Ouch! DB is a logarithmic scale
3 db is double the sound 20 db is more than 32 times the sound.
or
6db is double the sound, 20 db is eight times the sound.
depending on how you define sound.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel
Old March 10th 07, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

wrote:

|! 60db is far too loud for a camp site, beside a busy road 60db would be
|! effectively silent. Competing only with song birds, the lapping of the
|! water in the lake, they are *much* too intrusive.
|!
|!It's true 60 db is still quite loud and generators are intrusive. 60
|!db, however is about 1/4 as loud as the typical 80 db generator. If
|!there's another practical solution, like batteries for instance, that
|!would be best.

Ouch! DB is a logarithmic scale
3 db is double the sound 20 db is more than 32 times the sound.
or
6db is double the sound, 20 db is eight times the sound.
depending on how you define sound.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

3db is double the power, 6db is double the sound level.

Lenny

Dark evenings - want better visability
Fit Osram Silver Star Headlamp Bulbs
50% Brighter beam, 20m Longer beam

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials
www.motoressentials.co.uk
Old March 11th 07, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian B

Default Generator covers

"Harry Pleavin" wrote in message
Everyone I know who owns a 'Gennie' seems to have a cover/muffler to
cover it and reduce noise whilst in use. However, non of them can
remember where they got them from or they bought it off a friend.
Problem is, that, having bought a new Bailey, my leisure battery
can't cope with the lighting system so, I have bought a gennie, (I
know, I'm letting the side down) so I need a cover and can't get one
anywhere. Can anyone out there help?

Hi Harry

From some of the rather unhelpful suggestions, I'd be tempted to let
them suffer.

However, I found very little on the net, but here's one
http://www.northerntooluk.com/produc...partno=165932E

I have seen a collapsible tubular steel affair that has a cloth cover
at various caravan accessory shops. As I don't know which generator
you have, I don't know whether either of the above would be suitable.

Other alternatives: Inverted waste paper bins (the ones you get from
the council for recycling your old newspapers etc.), screw some 'legs'
on the inside to give extra height if necessary. I have a home made
cover similar to the second one mentioned above but with some awning
beading sewn to one edge, which slides into the offside skirt rail. I
have also seen one made out of rigid insulation that is covered with
foil (seen at B&Q)

The quieter Honda suitcase types are fairly quite. Some years ago, we
had just joined the Swift Owners Club and had gone on one of their
rallies. Whilst they generally frown on the use of generators, they
do allow them on rallies longer than two nights or in emergencies (so
I subsequently found out). Shortly after I had started mine (Honda
EX650), I was talking to man in the caravan next door, with the usual
daytime/evening noise going on, he hadn't noticed it whilst stood only
about 15/20 foot away. Although his wife had, she couldn't tell where
it was coming from.

Although I have recently bought a small solar panel to keep our
battery topped up, we regularly use our generator (along with quite a
few others) on rallies , especially in the winter. Our TV, along with
digi box which we occasionally use is 240v so the gennie comes in then
as well.

One thing I will suggest is don't turn your gennie on in the morning
to recharge your battery and then disappear offsite to avoid the
noise. It gets even the most hardened gennie user a bit miffed. We
try to use it the minimum that we can to avoid any unnecessary upset.

Ian B

Please reply to Newsgroup - Antispam applied

Avoid paying premium phone rates -
http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

Old March 11th 07, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:37:19 GMT, "Ian B" wrote:

|!
|! Our TV, along with
|!digi box which we occasionally use is 240v so the gennie comes in then
|!as well.

12V, TVs $ky digiboxes and DTT STBs are readily available.
I have all three.

So you do not watch TV in the evening when your gennie will drown out next
doors TV?