Ventilation

Old March 12th 07, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Default Ventilation

My (very) old van had lots of fixed ventilation, and never showed
any ill effects from its winter lay-up. My new van is showing
very slight signs of mildew on some of the internal timber. All
the cushions have been stored indoors.

Do others find it necessary to leave the windows open on the
trickle vent setting?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old March 12th 07, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:23:48 GMT, Chris J Dixon wrote:

|!My (very) old van had lots of fixed ventilation, and never showed
|!any ill effects from its winter lay-up. My new van is showing
|!very slight signs of mildew on some of the internal timber. All
|!the cushions have been stored indoors.
|!
|!Do others find it necessary to leave the windows open on the
|!trickle vent setting?

I bock off the ventilation (more or less) then keep the internal temp of
the van above 7.5 deg C (the first thing I thought of) with electric
heating. Every month or two, on a warm day, I increase the internal van
temperature to 20 deg C. No signs of problems after several years.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Compare and contrast
Sharia Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia
Old March 12th 07, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
My (very) old van had lots of fixed ventilation, and never showed
any ill effects from its winter lay-up. My new van is showing
very slight signs of mildew on some of the internal timber. All
the cushions have been stored indoors.

Do others find it necessary to leave the windows open on the
trickle vent setting?

The problem is two fold. Moving the ventilation to the roof means you have
to encorage it at a lower level, but the major issue is lack of cold
winters. The temperature doesn't get cold enough to kill the mould spores.
Make sure the van is well ventilated at least once a month.

Cheers

Old March 12th 07, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bert W

[email protected] home wrote:
"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
My (very) old van had lots of fixed ventilation, and never showed
any ill effects from its winter lay-up. My new van is showing
very slight signs of mildew on some of the internal timber. All
the cushions have been stored indoors.

Do others find it necessary to leave the windows open on the
trickle vent setting?

The problem is two fold. Moving the ventilation to the roof means you
have to encorage it at a lower level, but the major issue is lack of
cold winters. The temperature doesn't get cold enough to kill the
mould spores. Make sure the van is well ventilated at least once a
month.

Let the fridge on and door open? ;-)

--
Regards, Bert W
www.whattowcar.com
Old March 15th 07, 01:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

wrote:

My (very) old van had lots of fixed ventilation, and never showed
any ill effects from its winter lay-up. My new van is showing
very slight signs of mildew on some of the internal timber. All
the cushions have been stored indoors.

Do others find it necessary to leave the windows open on the
trickle vent setting?

Chris

Actually my over-winter regime, and even immediately following an
early or late season outing, is to seal up all the ventilation and
leave a dehumidifier on a medium humidistat setting. After an outing
it usually draws about 4 litres of water from the interior of the van
and it's contents including bedding and upholstery. Then it settles
down to draw maybe a half litre or less a month, and in doing so keeps
the inside really dry and slightly warm. Doing this there is no need
to air the 'van prior to use.

During the summer in between trips, I leave the windows on their
ventilation catches.

Works for me as the 'van is on the drive.

Neil

Old March 15th 07, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Graham Wilson

wrote:

My (very) old van had lots of fixed ventilation, and never showed
any ill effects from its winter lay-up. My new van is showing
very slight signs of mildew on some of the internal timber. All
the cushions have been stored indoors.

Do others find it necessary to leave the windows open on the
trickle vent setting?

Chris

Sorry don't have this problem
We use our van 365
when in our caravan shed (glorified car port) it's on 240v so heater on 500w
setting thermostat set on 3 to prevent frosts

Our caravan is always stocked with food and clothes ready for departure at a
couple of hours notice (only need =bread milk eggs low fat spread etc)

Sorry can'r help

From
Gray
The Madcaravanner from Chesterfield and Sharm El Sheikh
www.madcaravanner.co.uk
You don't have to be mad but it helps

Pictures at http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/Madcaravanner/

Steph's race for life page