Condensation

Old March 18th 07, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
aiden

Default Condensation

Have just returned from taking our newish (2006) Aventura away for
the first time during the winter and while away (despite the heating
being on 24/7) noticed condensation in just one area under the seating
on the front offside panel. Enough to leave a puddle on the floor.

Is this to be expected and, if so, why only in this one area -
couldn't see any anywhere else? Is the wall insulation faulty -
warranty item?

Any advice much appreciated.
Old March 18th 07, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:50:51 +0000, aiden
wrote:

|!Have just returned from taking our newish (2006) Aventura away for
|!the first time during the winter and while away (despite the heating
|!being on 24/7) noticed condensation in just one area under the seating
|!on the front offside panel. Enough to leave a puddle on the floor.
|!
|!Is this to be expected and, if so, why only in this one area -
|!couldn't see any anywhere else? Is the wall insulation faulty -
|!warranty item?
|!
|!Any advice much appreciated.

Provide more ventilation from inside to under seating.
Your local dealer will have about 1 1/2 inch dia perforated plastic bungs.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Old March 18th 07, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Aiden

wrote:

|!Have just returned from taking our newish (2006) Aventura away for
|!the first time during the winter and while away (despite the heating
|!being on 24/7) noticed condensation in just one area under the seating
|!on the front offside panel. Enough to leave a puddle on the floor.
|!
|!Is this to be expected and, if so, why only in this one area -
|!couldn't see any anywhere else? Is the wall insulation faulty -
|!warranty item?
|!
|!Any advice much appreciated.

Provide more ventilation from inside to under seating.
Your local dealer will have about 1 1/2 inch dia perforated plastic bungs.

Apologies - seem to have posted here by mistake - have re-posted at
the top under "Condensation Problem?

However - there is a ventilation hole in the floor wiithin 6ins of the
area concerned - wondered if this was allowing in the cold air, to
then condense.

Presumably, shouldn't close this vent hole off?
Old March 18th 07, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

wrote:
|!
|!|!Have just returned from taking our newish (2006) Aventura away for
|!|!the first time during the winter and while away (despite the heating
|!|!being on 24/7) noticed condensation in just one area under the seating
|!|!on the front offside panel. Enough to leave a puddle on the floor.

What sort of heating? Unvented LPG produces water vapour.

|!|!Is this to be expected and, if so, why only in this one area -
|!|!couldn't see any anywhere else? Is the wall insulation faulty -
|!|!warranty item?
|!|!
|!|!Any advice much appreciated.
|!
|!Provide more ventilation from inside to under seating.
|!Your local dealer will have about 1 1/2 inch dia perforated plastic bungs.

|!However - there is a ventilation hole in the floor wiithin 6ins of the
|!area concerned - wondered if this was allowing in the cold air, to
|!then condense.
|!
|!Presumably, shouldn't close this vent hole off?

No! definitely not if you are living in it
But IMO the amount of ventilation in a caravan is definitely way Over The
Top

My heating is on 24/7 (on a thermostat) and I have blocked off the roof
vents while the van is not in use, and reduced the area of other
ventilation.

Old March 19th 07, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Aiden formulated the question :

wrote:

[...]

Don't block up any ventilation holes unless the manufacturer has
provided a means to reduce the level of ventilation. Some ventilation
is essential to make up for oxygen burnt and allow escape of the
products of combustion.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old March 20th 07, 06:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 00:04:56 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

|!Aiden formulated the question :
|! On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:37:19 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
|! wrote:
|!
|! On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:50:51 +0000, aiden
|! wrote:
|!
|! !Have just returned from taking our newish (2006) Aventura away for
|! !the first time during the winter and while away (despite the heating
|! !being on 24/7) noticed condensation in just one area under the seating
|! !on the front offside panel. Enough to leave a puddle on the floor.
|! !
|! !Is this to be expected and, if so, why only in this one area -
|! !couldn't see any anywhere else? Is the wall insulation faulty -
|! !warranty item?
|! !
|! !Any advice much appreciated.
|!
|! Provide more ventilation from inside to under seating.
|! Your local dealer will have about 1 1/2 inch dia perforated plastic bungs.
|!
|!
|! Apologies - seem to have posted here by mistake - have re-posted at
|! the top under "Condensation Problem?
|!
|! However - there is a ventilation hole in the floor wiithin 6ins of the
|! area concerned - wondered if this was allowing in the cold air, to
|! then condense.
|!
|! Presumably, shouldn't close this vent hole off?
|!
|!Don't block up any ventilation holes unless the manufacturer has
|!provided a means to reduce the level of ventilation. Some ventilation
|!is essential to make up for oxygen burnt and allow escape of the
|!products of combustion.

As OP in not living in the van at the time in question, and is using
electric heating no oxygen will be used in combustion. Any blockages
should be removed when *living* in the van.