Condensation problem?

Old March 18th 07, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Aiden

Default Condensation problem?

Have just returned from taking our newish (2006) Aventura away for
the first time during the winter and while away (despite the heating
being on 24/7) noticed condensation in just one area under the seating
on the front offside panel. Enough to leave a puddle on the floor.

Is this to be expected and, if so, why only in this one area -
couldn't see any anywhere else? Is the wall insulation faulty -
warranty item?

Any advice much appreciated.
Old March 18th 07, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob

Aiden wrote:
Have just returned from taking our newish (2006) Aventura away for
the first time during the winter and while away (despite the heating
being on 24/7) noticed condensation in just one area under the seating
on the front offside panel. Snippety Snip

leave a window or two on nighttime settings...ie: slightly open...the
heating on is causing the condensation and with nowhere for the moisture
to escape (Window) it settles and condenses on the coolest part of the
van (usually rear int wall) just keep window/roof vent slightly ajar

Old March 18th 07, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:22:26 GMT, Bob wrote:

|!Aiden wrote:
|! Have just returned from taking our newish (2006) Aventura away for
|! the first time during the winter and while away (despite the heating
|! being on 24/7) noticed condensation in just one area under the seating
|! on the front offside panel. Snippety Snip
|!
|!leave a window or two on nighttime settings...ie: slightly open...the
|!heating on is causing the condensation and with nowhere for the moisture
|!to escape (Window) it settles and condenses on the coolest part of the
|!van (usually rear int wall) just keep window/roof vent slightly ajar

Heating, per se, does not cause condensation, unless unvented LPG, which
produces water vapour. My heating, when not in use, is electric which is
totally dry.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Old March 19th 07, 06:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Aiden

Yes, we were using only the electric heater - rest of the van
completely dry - just this one small area down under the offside front
bench seat.

Note: we were well pleased with the efficiency of the heater using
electric - outside temps down to -2 - coped really well.

Old March 19th 07, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

wrote:
|!
|!On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:22:26 GMT, Bob wrote:
|!
|!|!Aiden wrote:
|!|! Have just returned from taking our newish (2006) Aventura away for
|!|! the first time during the winter and while away (despite the heating
|!|! being on 24/7) noticed condensation in just one area under the seating
|!|! on the front offside panel. Snippety Snip
|!|!
|!|!leave a window or two on nighttime settings...ie: slightly open...the
|!|!heating on is causing the condensation and with nowhere for the moisture
|!|!to escape (Window) it settles and condenses on the coolest part of the
|!|!van (usually rear int wall) just keep window/roof vent slightly ajar
|!
|!Heating, per se, does not cause condensation, unless unvented LPG, which
|!produces water vapour. My heating, when not in use, is electric which is
|!totally dry.

Then my original suggestion of *internal* ventilation should do it. Raising
the cushions would work fine, but I prefer things which work without human
intervention like the little ventilation plugs you can get from you local
caravan dealer.

Old March 19th 07, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message ,
lid writes

wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:22:26 GMT, Bob wrote:

|!Aiden wrote:
|! Have just returned from taking our newish (2006) Aventura away for
|! the first time during the winter and while away (despite the heating
|! being on 24/7) noticed condensation in just one area under the seating
|! on the front offside panel. Snippety Snip
|!
|!leave a window or two on nighttime settings...ie: slightly open...the
|!heating on is causing the condensation and with nowhere for the moisture
|!to escape (Window) it settles and condenses on the coolest part of the
|!van (usually rear int wall) just keep window/roof vent slightly ajar

Heating, per se, does not cause condensation, unless unvented LPG, which
produces water vapour. My heating, when not in use, is electric which is
totally dry.

Is there any external fitting in that area such as a locker?
--
hugh
Old March 20th 07, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Aiden

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:34:03 +0000, hugh ] wrote:

In message ,
writes

wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:22:26 GMT, Bob wrote:

|!Aiden wrote:
|! Have just returned from taking our newish (2006) Aventura away for
|! the first time during the winter and while away (despite the heating
|! being on 24/7) noticed condensation in just one area under the seating
|! on the front offside panel. Snippety Snip
|!
|!leave a window or two on nighttime settings...ie: slightly open...the
|!heating on is causing the condensation and with nowhere for the moisture
|!to escape (Window) it settles and condenses on the coolest part of the
|!van (usually rear int wall) just keep window/roof vent slightly ajar

Heating, per se, does not cause condensation, unless unvented LPG, which
produces water vapour. My heating, when not in use, is electric which is
totally dry.

Is there any external fitting in that area such as a locker?

None - it appears on the side panel - across a 10cm wide x 20cm high
area - where it joins the front panel just beneath the offside
front-facing window. It then trickles down to form a puddle in the
corner. No, we don't have a dog ;-}
Old March 20th 07, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 08:45:17 +0000, Aiden wrote:

|!On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:34:03 +0000, hugh ] wrote:
|!
|!
|!
|!In message ,
writes
wrote:
|!
|!On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:22:26 GMT, Bob wrote:
|!
|!|!Aiden wrote:
|!|! Have just returned from taking our newish (2006) Aventura away for
|!|! the first time during the winter and while away (despite the heating
|!|! being on 24/7) noticed condensation in just one area under the seating
|!|! on the front offside panel. Snippety Snip
|!|!
|!|!leave a window or two on nighttime settings...ie: slightly open...the
|!|!heating on is causing the condensation and with nowhere for the moisture
|!|!to escape (Window) it settles and condenses on the coolest part of the
|!|!van (usually rear int wall) just keep window/roof vent slightly ajar
|!
|!Heating, per se, does not cause condensation, unless unvented LPG, which
|!produces water vapour. My heating, when not in use, is electric which is
|!totally dry.
|!
|!Is there any external fitting in that area such as a locker?
|!
|!None - it appears on the side panel - across a 10cm wide x 20cm high
|!area - where it joins the front panel just beneath the offside
|!front-facing window. It then trickles down to form a puddle in the
|!corner. No, we don't have a dog ;-}

Just a thought does that bit of the side panel feel colder than the rest?
If so they may have left a bit of insulation out of the construction there.

If so it is a warranty job, if still in warranty.

Do *not* ever try filling it up with foam from a can! This produces too
much pressure as it expands and sets.

Old March 20th 07, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Campa-Man

Snip

No, we don't have a dog ;-}

There's your problem, a dog would lick up the puddle and you would never
know about it.

Old March 21st 07, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:58:13 +0000, Aiden wrote:

Have just returned from taking our newish (2006) Aventura away for
the first time during the winter and while away (despite the heating
being on 24/7) noticed condensation in just one area under the seating
on the front offside panel. Enough to leave a puddle on the floor.

Is this to be expected and, if so, why only in this one area -
couldn't see any anywhere else? Is the wall insulation faulty -
warranty item?

Any advice much appreciated.

Just a thought, but is that(as in my Chateau) roughly the location of
your water heater? If it is, alternative causes spring to mind.

The water supply to the heater may be insecure and leaking under
pressure.

The heating tank may be leaking.

The water heater pressure relief vent tube may not be properly
connected to the outside of the 'van.

Well, just a thought, as puddling of condensation does seem rather
excessive!

Neil