total caravan newbie

Old March 18th 07, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jules

Default total caravan newbie

Hi all

Im moving to Germany in the summer

Now i had thought of getting a small trailer, to move my stuff again, but
that would take about 4 trips, expensive on the ferry, esp as im moving to
the very East of Germany

I then had a brain wave of getting a caravan, a nice little 2 berth, looked
at some on ebay

I wont be taking stuff like beds, etc. Just a futon, maybe a cooker, fridge,
washer, tv that sort of thing...but maybe not the white goods

Then it hit me.....what is and how do i calculate the weight i can pull?

While i am in Germany, i will be writing books on former E German airbases
and aircraft, so the use of the caravan would be fantastic (also moving with
my dog), plus i can take trips all around Europe.

I have a mid 90's BMW ( i have towed small trailers and a big car with it,
so little exp of towing)

But if i got something like this, what weight could i carry in it? i do have
a touring and could add a roof rack

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=019

I just thought it would be a much cheaper way to take my stuff...single guy,
not much furniture and also have a nice little caravan for trips etc in the
future.

BTW has anyone camped in Germany, esp the east.

many thanks, hope i dont sound too stupid
cheers

--
please use my email on my homepage www.julianhales.co.uk im phasing out
this email over the next month or so.....

Old March 19th 07, 06:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 00:47:14 GMT, "Jules"
wrote:

|!Hi all
|!
|!Im moving to Germany in the summer
|!
|!Now i had thought of getting a small trailer, to move my stuff again, but
|!that would take about 4 trips, expensive on the ferry, esp as im moving to
|!the very East of Germany
|!
|!I then had a brain wave of getting a caravan, a nice little 2 berth, looked
|!at some on ebay
|!
|!I wont be taking stuff like beds, etc. Just a futon, maybe a cooker, fridge,
|!washer, tv that sort of thing...but maybe not the white goods
|!
|!Then it hit me.....what is and how do i calculate the weight i can pull?
|!
|!While i am in Germany, i will be writing books on former E German airbases
|!and aircraft, so the use of the caravan would be fantastic (also moving with
|!my dog), plus i can take trips all around Europe.
|!
|!I have a mid 90's BMW ( i have towed small trailers and a big car with it,
|!so little exp of towing)
|!
|!But if i got something like this, what weight could i carry in it? i do have
|!a touring and could add a roof rack
|!
|!http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=019
|!
|!I just thought it would be a much cheaper way to take my stuff...single guy,
|!not much furniture and also have a nice little caravan for trips etc in the
|!future.

Unfortunately caravans are getting bigger and bigger with more and more
useless junk, such as fixed beds, microwaves, and *huge* toilets built in.
The only tiny things on the market are motorcaravans built on a small
(modified car) van chassis.

Erbia http://www.eriba-uk.com/ make some tiny vans, but as they are
manufactured in Poland, perhaps you should nip across the border from
Germany to buy one.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Old March 19th 07, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Jules wrote:

[...]

Forget it!

Caravans are totally unsuitable for carrying heavy or bulky items for two
reasons.

Firstly, the chassis components are designed for a certain maximum weight as
displayed on a plate attached to the caravan - and it is illegal to exceed
this. The caravan itself - with all its standard fixtures and fittings takes
up all but 3 or 4 hundredweight of this max permitted weight - leaving a
relatively small margin for the usual contents of battery, gas bottles,
bedding, clothes, food etc. So you'd struggle to carry a worthwhile amount
of household goods - and even if you did, you'd have a problem to restrain
them adequately and to locate them such that the van was properly balanced,
with an appropriate hitch load.

Secondly, caravan doors are quite small, and there is usually built-in
furniture just inside the door, so the scope for manoeuvring large objects
in and out is very limited.

Of course, if you were going to *live* in the caravan all the time you were
in Germany, and thus not need to take any household stuff, it would be a
different matter.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old March 19th 07, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jules

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Jules wrote:

[...]

thanks, i was just thinking of instead of a small trailer, say 1 white good
each time, then having to come back empty but still 189 quid ofn Norfolkline
it would be better in 1 trip, plus get a caravan out of it also..

Secondly, caravan doors are quite small, and there is usually built-in
furniture just inside the door, so the scope for manoeuvring large objects
in and out is very limited.

i had noticed that...good thinking batman!!! i thought i could remove the
window for say the futon etc.

Of course, if you were going to *live* in the caravan all the time you

were
in Germany, and thus not need to take any household stuff, it would be a
different matter.

True, i would be wanting to use it often along with meine hund....although
Germans seem happy to allow dogs in a lot of B&B's

--
Cheers,
Roger

Old March 19th 07, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Jules wrote:

thanks, i was just thinking of instead of a small trailer, say 1
white good each time, then having to come back empty but still 189
quid ofn Norfolkline it would be better in 1 trip, plus get a caravan
out of it also..

You'd be far better off hiring a box van trailer - whose size and fully
laden weight may be similar to that of a caravan, but which would have lots
more useable space and weight margin for payload. Plus, it would have
lashing bars on the inside - enabling you to secure heavy item so that they
don't move around in transit. You could take everything in a single trip.

Secondly, caravan doors are quite small, and there is usually
built-in furniture just inside the door, so the scope for
manoeuvring large objects in and out is very limited.

i had noticed that...good thinking batman!!! i thought i could
remove the window for say the futon etc.

I don't think I'd fancy feeding a washing machine or domestic fridge through
a caravan window!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old March 19th 07, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jules

Jules wrote:

[...]

Thanks roger, of course that makes sense, esp on weight and stability...i
will look up a trailer co that allows Europe travel
cheers

______
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!

Old March 20th 07, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lee_D

Jules uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Surely re white goods it makes more sense to sell up here and buy over
there, even if it means second hand?

And if you are after a caravan you could do alot worse than actually buy a
German one, they are put together very well I understand. You get to save on
the cost of shipping it out then too.

Lee

Old March 21st 07, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jules

"Lee_D" wrote in message
Jules uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Surely re white goods it makes more sense to sell up here and buy over
there, even if it means second hand?

And if you are after a caravan you could do alot worse than actually buy a
German one, they are put together very well I understand. You get to save

on
the cost of shipping it out then too.

Lee

haha, just looked at German ebay, some very old former DDR period ones...and
it seems the others i looked at need inspections and to pass there version
of the MOT (TUEV) and thinking about it, all the plugs will be
differant...nice idea though, i will look into it further