Honda Generator

Old March 24th 07, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BT Internet

Default Honda Generator

Advice please

I have a Honda EX350 generator, which has given several years of good
service (And before I get shouted at, we only run it to charge up the
battery when everyone else has gone out for the day and at home for the odd
power cuts we get up in NE Scotland from time to time).
When it stopped working, I checked the spark at the plug and found that when
turning over the engine, instead of repetive sparks as normal, there is just
a single spark and nothing else till the next pull of the starting cord.
Any help would be much appreciated..

Old March 24th 07, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

BT Internet typed:
Advice please

I have a Honda EX350 generator, which has given several years of good
service (And before I get shouted at, we only run it to charge up the
battery when everyone else has gone out for the day and at home for
the odd power cuts we get up in NE Scotland from time to time).
When it stopped working, I checked the spark at the plug and found
that when turning over the engine, instead of repetive sparks as
normal, there is just a single spark and nothing else till the next
pull of the starting cord. Any help would be much appreciated..

Whenever ours has packed up it's because it's low on oil. There's an
engine oil level sensor which cuts the engine if the oil level runs low.
Usually ours runs six full days before this happens. You can get round
the problem for a short while by standing one end of the generator on a
brick so it fools the sensor. Not recommended long-term though, but
is an easy test to see if it _is_ that.

--
Paul - xxx

Old March 25th 07, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Spanner

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
[...]

Thats interesting, I've got a Honda EX650, not used for over 15 years, tried
to start it last year but no sign of life.
I'd better check the oil level, that may be the reason.
Got no caravan, but it was last used for a boat.
Gordon

Old March 27th 07, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mg

On Mar 24, 9:12 am, "BT Internet"
wrote:
Advice please

I have aHondaEX350generator, which has given several years of good
service (And before I get shouted at, we only run it to charge up the
battery when everyone else has gone out for the day and at home for the odd
power cuts we get up in NE Scotland from time to time).
When it stopped working, I checked the spark at the plug and found that when
turning over the engine, instead of repetive sparks as normal, there is just
a single spark and nothing else till the next pull of the starting cord.
Any help would be much appreciated..

Don't throw it away. Those EX350s are great little generators--very
quiet.

Old March 29th 07, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 15:12:21 -0000, "BT Internet"
wrote:

Advice please

I have a Honda EX350 generator, which has given several years of good
service (And before I get shouted at, we only run it to charge up the
battery when everyone else has gone out for the day and at home for the odd
power cuts we get up in NE Scotland from time to time).
When it stopped working, I checked the spark at the plug and found that when
turning over the engine, instead of repetive sparks as normal, there is just
a single spark and nothing else till the next pull of the starting cord.
Any help would be much appreciated..

IIRC that's a 2 stroke isn't it?

Renew the spark plug first! It's not worth looking anywhere else in
the first instance.

Then if there's no improvement check back along the HT lead for signs
of perishing, cracks etc. Also check the plug cap for contamination
inside and out.

Report back if all that fails to cure the problem.

Neil

Old March 29th 07, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 00:20:39 +0100, "Spanner"
wrote:

Thats interesting, I've got a Honda EX650, not used for over 15 years, tried
to start it last year but no sign of life.
I'd better check the oil level, that may be the reason.
Got no caravan, but it was last used for a boat.
Gordon

If it's not been used for that length of time, chances are the
carburettor(sp?) is clogged with dried out petrol additive residue.
Can be a bugger to clean out properly and will require solvents. I've
had this happen before with Honda 4 stroke genny engines.

Neil