Water ingress - advice please

Old March 27th 07, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jethro

Default Water ingress - advice please

Hi all

Caravan is a 1991 Eldiss Typhoon XL. Went into the bathroom last week
(first time since Xmas), and discovered a brown trickle stain (rusty
coloured) from the BOTTOM of the obscure windows frame. Clearly no way
water could have got directly in there - must have been higher, and
trailed down until it found somewhere to the inside, where I saw the
stain.

The "wall" behind the waterproof lining of the bathroom area has gone
"puffy" in places.

I suspect the leak is from the roof/side panel join, OR the top side-
panel/lower-side panel join. I have put some gaffer tape over these to
protect further.

Questions :

1) is my suspicion of where the water is getting in sensible ?
2) what/ how do I reseal the leak
3) what (if anything) can be done to rectify any damage done ?

Thanks in advance

Old March 27th 07, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Jethro" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The best starting point is a damp meter. That will pinpoint the leak area.
Once thats been found, remove the offending rail, clean out all the old
mastic and open the joint up as much as possible. Let that air in a dry
place for several weeks if possible, then reseal the joint with Geobond. let
that go off for 48 hours then refit the rail with a fresh bed of mastic.

Inside the van, bore a couple of small holes in the inner wallboard and fit
penny vents.

Cheers

Old March 28th 07, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jethro

On 27 Mar, 22:24, "[email protected] home" wrote:
"Jethro" wrote in message

[...]

good start ...

That will pinpoint the leak area.
Once thats been found, remove the offending rail,

Ah, this is getting trickier ... how do you get the rail off ?

clean out all the old
mastic and open the joint up as much as possible. Let that air in a dry
place for several weeks if possible, then reseal the joint with Geobond. let
that go off for 48 hours then refit the rail with a fresh bed of mastic.

Inside the van, bore a couple of small holes in the inner wallboard and fit
penny vents.

is this to allow the inner lining (whatever it is) to continue to dry ?

Old March 28th 07, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

Rail removal.

Remove plastic lace trim, undo screws, heat rail with hairdryer to soften
mastic, carefully remove using cheese wire.

Yup, vents to allow panel to dry out. If you reseal, you are sealing the
water in.

Cheers

Old March 29th 07, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
georgina Smith

Panic not. It's normally quite a straightforward job to remove and
re-mastic the awning rail, though it can get messy. Your local caravan shop
(or indeed ebay) can provide mastic in a ribbon roll which makes bedding the
rail much easier.
I tend to use white spirit to remove all traces of the old mastic and then
clean thoroughly with a rag. Be careful though because the edge of the roof
can be quite sharp.
As long as you have rectified the leak within a reasonable time there should
be no permanant damage, as damp will dry out if the source of the moisture
is stopped.
Another point of ingress to consider is the mastic under the exterior strip
that the window attaches to. Water can creep in here and drop down the
window behind the seal.
Good luck.

Old March 30th 07, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jethro

On 29 Mar, 17:08, "georgina Smith" wrote:
Panic not. It's normally quite a straightforward job to remove and
re-mastic the awning rail, though it can get messy. Your local caravan shop
(or indeed ebay) can provide mastic in a ribbon roll which makes bedding the
rail much easier.
I tend to use white spirit to remove all traces of the old mastic and then
clean thoroughly with a rag. Be careful though because the edge of the roof
can be quite sharp.
As long as you have rectified the leak within a reasonable time there should
be no permanant damage, as damp will dry out if the source of the moisture
is stopped.
Another point of ingress to consider is the mastic under the exterior strip
that the window attaches to. Water can creep in here and drop down the
window behind the seal.
Good luck.

Thanks for that. I had considered the window rail, but that's packed
with the grey mastic-on-a-ribbon stuff, so I suspect it was done
before we got the van (in 2000).

When I looked at the roof, I found just above the spot where the
staing was *inside* a clump of moss that had wedged itself between the
rail and the roof - so I'm guessing this is what's caused the problem.
For now (with a honeymoon coming up - not in the van though !) I have
stuck a strip of gaffer tape (marvellous stuff !) over the roof/rail.

Back in 2003 (or was it 2004 ?) I had to remove the metal strip which
covers the centre roof join, and re-mastic that. I used some stuff in
a pump-gun "high modulus" something.

Old March 30th 07, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
georgina Smith

When I looked at the roof, I found just above the spot where the
staing was *inside* a clump of moss that had wedged itself between the
rail and the roof - so I'm guessing this is what's caused the problem.
For now (with a honeymoon coming up - not in the van though !) I have
stuck a strip of gaffer tape (marvellous stuff !) over the roof/rail.

Good old Gaffer tape. I came home once with it sealing a massive leak in a
rainstorm.

Old March 30th 07, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jethro

On 30 Mar, 15:23, "georgina Smith" wrote:
When I looked at the roof, I found just above the spot where the
staing was *inside* a clump of moss that had wedged itself between the
rail and the roof - so I'm guessing this is what's caused the problem.
For now (with a honeymoon coming up - not in the van though !) I have
stuck a strip of gaffer tape (marvellous stuff !) over the roof/rail.

Good old Gaffer tape. I came home once with it sealing a massive leak in a
rainstorm.

I once had a cycle tyre split, at 4:00pm miles from anywhere, in Wales
on a sunday. I managed to use GT to repair the split, and limp on to a
railway station.

Old March 30th 07, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

Thanks for that. I had considered the window rail, but that's packed
with the grey mastic-on-a-ribbon stuff, so I suspect it was done
before we got the van (in 2000).

When I looked at the roof, I found just above the spot where the
staing was *inside* a clump of moss that had wedged itself between the
rail and the roof - so I'm guessing this is what's caused the problem.
For now (with a honeymoon coming up - not in the van though !) I have
stuck a strip of gaffer tape (marvellous stuff !) over the roof/rail.

Back in 2003 (or was it 2004 ?) I had to remove the metal strip which
covers the centre roof join, and re-mastic that. I used some stuff in
a pump-gun "high modulus" something.

High Modulus, would tend to suggest a silicone sealer. This is not suitable
for caravan repairs.

Please use the stickiest gun mastic you can find. Tape mastic is great on a
perfectly flat surface, but on a pre used rail it could leave gaps.

Cheers

Old March 31st 07, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:34:49 GMT, "[email protected] home"
wrote:

[...]

For those not in the know, this is a man to listen to especially on
topics like this he is a professional, and is the David Halley of
Halley caravans of Burnhouse and Milngarvie. In all the years of
contributing to this group he provides the best and most definitive
information, and if you ever have cause to talk to him directly he is
just as helpful. If he were neare to me I would not buy a caravan from
anyone else. But at 250 miles distance it's a bit difficult.

Bill Lord