VT aerial

Old September 26th 03, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Default VT aerial

I have a status aerial on my van. I was at a site where it didn't work to
many ghosts (reflected signals). I'd packed the Arial I usually use with it
at home, a black moulded multi array type on its own stand. It had
sufficient coaxial lead to put it out of the roof light on the roof and by
experimentation got a very good signal, whereas the Status Arieial was
useless. Bear in mind this black blastic coated Aerial cost me 6 and I
could have got one with an amplifier for 12. from B&Q, which i didnt get
because I have good signal. I don't know what the status costs but
compairing it with my cheepo it is very bad value for money.
I checked on some of the aerials that some other vanners had put up on
poles and found that mine was about the same high as most and about 2 foot
lower that the highest. As we normally have the roof light on the lowest
ventilation the lead passin the through the gap was no problem. I
experimented using it inside the van and still got a good picture but not
quite as good as when it was on the roof.
Anyway I though it something work passing on.
Mike

--

Remove the removespam from my address

Old September 26th 03, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Default TV aerial

Sorry about the miss spelling etc. Its either the early stages alczimers or
I'm drunk, seeing as I've not had a drop of the latter it must be the
former.
"Mike" wrote in message
I have a status aerial on my van. I was at a site where it didn't work to
many ghosts (reflected signals). I'd packed the Arial I usually use with

the TV
at home, a black moulded multi array type on its own stand. It had
sufficient coaxial lead to put it out of the roof light and place on the

roof. By
experimentation got a very good signal, whereas the Status Aerial was
useless. Bear in mind this black blastic coated Aerial cost me 6 and I
could have got one with an amplifier for 12. from B&Q, which I didnt get
because I have good signal. I don't know what the status costs but
compairing it with my cheepo it is very bad value for money.
I checked on some of the aerials that some other vanners had put up on
poles and found that mine was about the same high as most and about 2 foot
lower that the highest. As we normally have the roof light on the lowest
ventilation the lead passing the through the gap was no problem. I

Old September 26th 03, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jerry

I am on my 4th van now and I must say if the Status wasn't fitted at
manufacture then I wouldnt bother with it.I have a domestic type aerial,
made funnily enough by the same company I think, and it works when the
Status doesn't.

Old September 28th 03, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"Michael Haselhof" wrote in message
I take it you DID turn on the signal booster!!??
"

Yes of course. But the set top aerial worked better because, I assume, it
was directional. Whereas the Status is not and I think it is aptly named.
and is only a Status symbol ! I note Status are making directional aerials
now, because I suppose of the bad inherent qualities of an omi-direction
aerials. This type of aerial picks up signals from all directions which if
you are on the borders of transmitting stations or a powerful one is
managing to penetrate into another stations area that your in, you will,
with this type of aerial pick up both signals. The status is OK where there
is only one station serving that area. I note that the DIY aerials have a
lot of arrays on their set-ups because this gives pinpoint accuracy,
I seem to remember doing work at college some 50 years ago on polar
diagrams cause by adding extra arrays on aerials. In the days of steam radio
the aerial was easy to understand, basically an aerial is a filter that will
only allow a narrow band of frequencies through to the amplifier. Of course
it is not as simplistic as this, there is a lot more to it. A filter is a
coil and capacitance the higher the frequency the less the components look
like a coil and capacitor it ends up two short bit of wire or as an aerial.
By adding arrays focus the signal ( actually more sensitive in the direction
we point the aerial ) which of course we cant do with a Status aerial as its
omi-directional amplifies signals from all directions. I rest my case.
(acually my set top aerial)
Mike

Old September 28th 03, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Michael Haselhof

I was thinking about the ones you can put on a pole, rather than the
omnidirectional, status ones, i like the one that looks a bit like a sword
fish, and i have a pole, my antenna i have just now is a bit battered and
bent, so I'll buy one next year.

Old September 30th 03, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Len Zatenna

Default VT (TV) aerial

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Get yourself a satellite dish & dodgybox!

I tend to go to mountainous regions and usually can't get terrestrial
reception anyway, but the dish has never let me down!
No snow!....... No ghosts!........... No kidding!!

Len.