Towing in France & Switzerland

Old March 30th 07, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gerry

Default Towing in France & Switzerland

I am still planning my trip to Switzerland, trying to convince my wife
it is a trip of great worth.
A couple of things I am not yet sure
1. The cost of Diesel in both France & Switzerland
2. The van a Compass Rallye 540 has a shipping length of 7248 mm (23ft
9")
I have read that some sites in Switzerland limit the van size and what
the route would be like from Calias to Interlaken, are there good
class roads motorways apart or are these worth the toll?
I am intending breaking the journey down for a few days and the return
journey again for a few days.
Any help would be well recieved.
Gerry McKenzie

Old March 30th 07, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
harryb

On Mar 30, 11:20?am, "Gerry" wrote:
I am still planning my trip to Switzerland, trying to convince my wife
it is a trip of great worth.
A couple of things I am not yet sure
1. The cost of Diesel in both France & Switzerland
2. The van a Compass Rallye 540 has a shipping length of 7248 mm (23ft
9")
I have read that some sites in Switzerland limit the van size and what
the route would be like from Calias to Interlaken, are there good
class roads motorways apart or are these worth the toll?
I am intending breaking the journey down for a few days and the return
journey again for a few days.
Any help would be well recieved.
Gerry McKenzie

The following site will give you petrol prices.
http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/eupetrolprices/
Calais to Interlaken is about 550 miles and nearly all motorway if you
wish. Tolls are not cheap but the journey will be a lot easier. You
will need to buy two vignettes for Switzerland, one for the car and
one for the van. You can get them from motoring organisations here or
buy them at the border. They are a form of annual tax for driving on
Swiss motorways. Some sites limit the size of van but thats mainly in
peak season. the pitches on Swiss sites are smaller than here.

harryb

Old March 30th 07, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Pleavin

Make sure you fix the vignettes properly inside car and van. on advice I
blue tacked them and got fined over 40 by police in service station
ups.com...

Old April 2nd 07, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Gerry" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am still planning my trip to Switzerland, trying to convince my wife
it is a trip of great worth.
A couple of things I am not yet sure
1. The cost of Diesel in both France & Switzerland

Go through Luxembourg and, if you can, plan to have near empty tanks when
you get there cos diesel is much cheaper. It's also pretty cheap in
Switzerland. Avoid a route through France if you can cos of the tolls and
fuel prices.

Rgds

Andy R

Old April 2nd 07, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gerry

On 2 Apr, 12:35, "Andy R" wrote:
"Gerry" wrote in message

ups.com...

I am still planning my trip to Switzerland, trying to convince my wife
it is a trip of great worth.
A couple of things I am not yet sure
1. The cost of Diesel in both France & Switzerland

Go through Luxembourg and, if you can, plan to have near empty tanks when
you get there cos diesel is much cheaper. It's also pretty cheap in
Switzerland. Avoid a route through France if you can cos of the tolls and
fuel prices.

Rgds

Andy R

Hi Andy thanks very much,any other tips sites etc would be very
grateful also any pics of sites etc
Cheers
Gerry

Old April 2nd 07, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gerry

On 30 Mar, 17:32, "harryb" wrote:
On Mar 30, 11:20?am, "Gerry" wrote:

[...]

Hi Harry
Many thanks any other tips on sites etc including any pics would be a
great help
Cheers again
Gerry

Old April 4th 07, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

http://www.see-search.com/business/f...iceseurope.htm

Andy, have a look at the link above.

Let Google be you friend.

Mike

"Andy R" wrote in message

ups.com...

Old April 5th 07, 07:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
La Croix Joreau

I looked at the site listed below and the French prices are a bit out.

Diesel is currently about 0.99 Euros (about 70p) and Unleaded about 1.14
Euros (about 82p) - these prices are at the supermarkets.

Fuel is always more expensive on motorways but you will always find the
fuel stations open on motorways. On Sundays the supermarkets are usually
closed (some do open in the mornings) and without the right card you
won't be able to get fuel.

To be honest going through France on the motorway is by far the easiest
route and though you pay a bit for the tolls they are worth it. The
prices of things in Switzerland are always higher than everywhere else
so a few extra euros to get there is fairly insignificant.

John

http://www.lacroixjoreau.com Cottages and apartments in the Loire
Valley, France

Mike wrote: