Purpleline Hitch Drive Caravan Mover

Old March 30th 07, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alasdair

Default Purpleline Hitch Drive Caravan Mover

I bought a Purpleline Hitchdrive mover for my small Eriba.

http://www.hitchdrive.com/main.html

You replace the jockey wheel with this wheel you drive by turning a
handle on top of the "stalk". Unfortunately, turning the handle when
taking the caravan up a slope can be taxing and the little wheel of
the unit can slip on certain surfaces.

It occurred to me that this unit would benefit immensely from having a
hand held electric motor arranged to turn the square drive shaft where
the handle fits on to. A motor with high torque and low speed would
be ideal and I thought of trying a fairly powerful electric drill with
a clutch which would release if the mechanism jammed. One of the
problems with an electric drill is that the drive is in line with the
motor whereas a motor with a drive at right angles to it (as in an
angle grinder) might be a better idea.

I'd love to discuss this with any engineering types on the newsgroup
who could put their minds to developing something.

--
Alasdair.
Old March 31st 07, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Alasdair wrote:

[...]

If you want a powered mover, you'd be better off with one which has a
built-in motor from the outset, rather than trying to modify a manual one.
There are plenty on the market.

But, as been pointed out here too many times to keep count, *any* mover
which works through the jockey wheel is going to be far less successful on
sloping or slippery ground than one of the built-in movers which directly
drive the caravan wheels.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old March 31st 07, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alasdair

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:32:49 +0100, "Roger Mills"
wrote:

If you want a powered mover, you'd be better off with one which has a
built-in motor from the outset, rather than trying to modify a manual one.
There are plenty on the market.

But, as been pointed out here too many times to keep count, *any* mover
which works through the jockey wheel is going to be far less successful on
sloping or slippery ground than one of the built-in movers which directly
drive the caravan wheels.
--
Cheers,
Roger

But the built-in movers which directly drive the caravan wheels cost
over five times what the Purple Line one costs and they have to be
professionally fitted.

--
Alasdair.
Old March 31st 07, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Alasdair has brought this to us :
[...]

The already sell a powered version - Check out the accessories pages on
their web site - the 'motour'.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old March 31st 07, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message

The already sell a powered version - Check out the accessories pages on
their web site - the 'motour'.

I didn't know that!

Mind you, it does rather go against the principle of using manpower rather
than electricity.

The Hitchdrive works well (if slowly - but what's the rush?) if you learn to
apply physics to the process.

Mary

Old March 31st 07, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Mary Fisher explained on 31/03/2007 :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message

The already sell a powered version - Check out the accessories pages on
their web site - the 'motour'.

I didn't know that!

To be honest, nor did I until I investigated their web site an hour
ago.

The Hitchdrive works well (if slowly - but what's the rush?) if you learn to
apply physics to the process.

It certainly does and it is not really such hard work as too justify
the expense of a motor.

Old March 31st 07, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

wrote:

If you want a powered mover, you'd be better off with one which has a
built-in motor from the outset, rather than trying to modify a
manual one. There are plenty on the market.

But, as been pointed out here too many times to keep count, *any*
mover which works through the jockey wheel is going to be far less
successful on sloping or slippery ground than one of the built-in
movers which directly drive the caravan wheels.
--
Cheers,
Roger

But the built-in movers which directly drive the caravan wheels cost
over five times what the Purple Line one costs and they have to be
professionally fitted.

You pays your money and makes your choice.

Yes, the built-in movers *are* quite a lot more expensive, and use up some
of the caravan's payload margin. But, if a hitch-driving one at a fifth of
the price doesn't work in your particular circumstances, it's hardly a
bargain!

Incidentally, built-in movers *don't* have to be professionally fitted - you
can DIY them, but it would seem that those bought at shows often come with
free fitting. AIUI, most can be fitted on your premises without having to
take the van somewhere to have them fitted.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old March 31st 07, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alasdair

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:17:32 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

The already sell a powered version - Check out the accessories pages on
their web site - the 'motour'.

Thanks for mentioning this. I've had a look at the website but I
cannot find anyone who sells them or indeed the price of the added
electric gear.

--
Alasdair.
Old March 31st 07, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

wrote:

The already sell a powered version - Check out the accessories pages on
their web site - the 'motour'.

Thanks for mentioning this. I've had a look at the website but I
cannot find anyone who sells them or indeed the price of the added
electric gear.

I would guess that the add on would be quite expensive, probably making
it not as cost effective versus the type which drive the main van
wheels.

If you haven't bought the Hitchdrive yet and really must have a powered
unit - I recall seeing a gadget which replaced the jockey wheel (like
the Hitchdrive), but this one was designed at the outset to be a
powered unit.

Old April 4th 07, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

wrote:

The already sell a powered version - Check out the accessories pages on
their web site - the 'motour'.

Thanks for mentioning this. I've had a look at the website but I
cannot find anyone who sells them or indeed the price of the added
electric gear.

I would guess that the add on would be quite expensive, probably making
it not as cost effective versus the type which drive the main van
wheels.

If you haven't bought the Hitchdrive yet and really must have a powered
unit - I recall seeing a gadget which replaced the jockey wheel (like
the Hitchdrive), but this one was designed at the outset to be a
powered unit.

Alas, I think the OP already has. I don't know what the cost of the
electric conversion to a Hitchdrive would cost, but second-hand
Bigfoot type Motor Movers can regularly be bought second-hand for 200
- 300.

I am in the position of having both a solid tyred ET Motor
Mover(electric jockey wheel), and an old manually cranked
BrunaWheel(single pneumatic wheeled, chain driven forerunner of the
Hitchdrive). To do the same job on my drive, the ET Motor mover works
well, where the Brunawheel does the same job but takes considerable
effort on the handle.

HTH

Neil