Ball park figure to remove & reseal awning rails ?

Old April 2nd 07, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jethro

Default Ball park figure to remove & reseal awning rails ?

HI all,

following on from a previous thread, I was wondering if anyone here
had experience (or was in the trade) and could give me a ball park
figure for removing, resealing and replacing the awning rail on both
sides.

The van is a 1991 Eldiss Typhoon GT.

West Midlands area, if it helps.

Anyone recommend a good outfit to do this ?

ta

Old April 2nd 07, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

We are just having ours replaced on one side as part of an insurance claim
and I will look up the fitting hours involved. The caravan repairer could
not get them and we rang around and sourced them ourselves and bought them
for him. Our van is 1999, so be sure you can buy replacement ones first.
The back panel is a pattern one and we have been waiting since before
Christmas for that.
It seems very difficult to get the necessary parts for the repair and Devitt
(CC insurance) warned up there is a very long lead time on caravan panels
etc. Just thought you might like to know.
The insurance companies seem to write off fairly new vans in view of this,
and I am told you cannot buy the wreak back to have it repaired yourself,
even if you could get the parts.
Liz

oups.com...

Old April 2nd 07, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jethro

"Jethro" wrote in message

oups.com...

HI all,

following on from a previous thread, I was wondering if anyone here
had experience (or was in the trade) and could give me a ball park
figure for removing, resealing and replacing the awning rail on both
sides.

The van is a 1991 Eldiss Typhoon GT.

West Midlands area, if it helps.

Anyone recommend a good outfit to do this ?

ta- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for that Liz. I'm wanting to reseal the rail/van joint -
there's nothing wrong with the rail - the joint is leaking slightly. I
could try and do it myself, but I'm curious as to how much I'd have to
pay to keep a weekend free to do nothing IYSWIM

Old April 2nd 07, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

Thanks for that Liz. I'm wanting to reseal the rail/van joint -
there's nothing wrong with the rail - the joint is leaking slightly. I
could try and do it myself, but I'm curious as to how much I'd have to
pay to keep a weekend free to do nothing IYSWIM

You should be charged about three to three and a half hours per rail, and
there are two rails on each side. We now reseal with an adhesive sealant and
let that go off for 48 hours before refitting the rails with fresh mastic,
so the job is slightly more than a weekend.

Cheers

Old April 17th 07, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jethro

On 2 Apr, 19:03, "[email protected] home" wrote:
Thanks for that Liz. I'm wanting to reseal the rail/van joint -
there's nothing wrong with the rail - the joint is leaking slightly. I
could try and do it myself, but I'm curious as to how much I'd have to
pay to keep a weekend free to do nothing IYSWIM

You should be charged about three to three and a half hours per rail, and
there are two rails on each side. We now reseal with an adhesive sealant and
let that go off for 48 hours before refitting the rails with fresh mastic,
so the job is slightly more than a weekend.

Hi David,

any recommendations about what sealant and mastic to use ?

thanks