Caravan mover

Old April 4th 07, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bootsie

Default Caravan mover

considering buying a new van, anybody got any feedback on the above subject as thier are lots on the market.

In antisipation of a reply

Bootsie.

Old April 21st 07, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alasdair

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 17:37:15 +0100, "bootsie"
wrote:

considering buying a new van, anybody got any feedback on the above subject as thier are lots on the market.

In antisipation of a reply

Bootsie.

I have the Purple Line Hitch Drive at
http://domain1256822.sites.fasthosts.com/
and am very happy with it. If the van has to go up a steepish slope,
it helps a lot if you get a push from someone at the back.

You can have a manual one where you turn a handle which, in turn,
turns a special jockey wheel or you can have an electric version which
uses a 12 volt battery or, presumably, you could buy a manual one and
use a powerful electric drill to turn it.

An important thing to remember with this unit is that although the
tyres on the special jockey wheel look solid, they are in fact
pneumatic and need pumping up. People foget to do this and wreck the
unit before they have a chance to use it!

If you pay the full RRP, it's about 230 but I see them on Ebay a lot
cheaper. Halfords sell them at full RRP.

--
Alasdair.
Old April 23rd 07, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Alasdair submitted this idea :
I have the Purple Line Hitch Drive at
http://domain1256822.sites.fasthosts.com/
and am very happy with it. If the van has to go up a steepish slope,
it helps a lot if you get a push from someone at the back.

I have one, but I would not recommend it for a steep slope at all. The
limitation is the grip between the Hitchdrive's wheels and the surface
you are trying to drive it upon as the jockey wheel only has around 5
to 10 % of the vans weight upon it, rather than a problem with the
Hitchdrive itself. For a fairly gentle slope or on the level they work
absolutely fine, for a steeper slope you need either a proper powered
mover or you can do as I do - use a small hand winch.

Until last year I used a home made winch located at the very far end of
the drive - a long way away from the road. My drive is initially too
steep for the Hitchdrive, but then becomes less steep after the first
20 yds or so. I now use a small winch on a post, which drops into a
hole in the drive just at the top of the steep section. Once clear of
that, I can use the Hitchdrive for the less steep 50 yards part. I have
an extremely long narrow drive, with no where to spin the van around,
so it has to be pulled up backwards all the way out of the road.

I just stop with the caravan at right angles to the drive, across the
drive. Hook a rope across between the two main chassis members at the
rear, then attach the end of the winch and crank it up with someone
guiding it with the Hitchdrive, then transfer to just the Hitchdrive
once up the steepest part. It all takes just minutes.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old April 23rd 07, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alasdair

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:50:00 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

I now use a small winch on a post, which drops into a
hole in the drive just at the top of the steep section.

I bought an electric winch for 60 from a firm called Anchor Supplies
in Nottingham. Unfortunately, I have nowhere to anchor it to at the
moment.

--
Alasdair.
Old April 23rd 07, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Alasdair formulated on Monday :
wrote:

I now use a small winch on a post, which drops into a
hole in the drive just at the top of the steep section.

I bought an electric winch for 60 from a firm called Anchor Supplies
in Nottingham. Unfortunately, I have nowhere to anchor it to at the
moment.

I know Anchor well...

If you have a section of concrete drive, use an SDS drill with a
scaffold post size core bit to make a hole in the concrete - then just
drop a short post in it to act as a (well, er) anchor point :-)