Im all confuzzed now!

Old September 27th 03, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
alex.haden

Default Im all confuzzed now!

Ok thanks to everyone for the replies, its much appreciated.

Howvere im more confuzzed than ever.

I was getting the imporession that u i would be able to pull the 975kg
van with my Non turbo Diesel with a max braked of 1100kg, and that i
would have to use my gears more, and would be the person slowing
everyone up going up steep hills. (Hehe i can live with that)

But then there have been a few posts saying that i wont get out of 3rd
gear on the flat (not good) and that i wont be able to get past 30mph
even on motorways.

I dont want to be stuck in 3rd for 200 miles, it wouldnt be good for my
engine...or am i worrying too much? Will i be able to stay in 4th or
5th on motorways, and drive at 40-50ish?

Thanks again

Old September 27th 03, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
R L Driver

"alex.haden" wrote in message
Ok thanks to everyone for the replies, its much appreciated.

Howvere im more confuzzed than ever.

I was getting the imporession that u i would be able to pull the 975kg
van with my Non turbo Diesel with a max braked of 1100kg, and that i
would have to use my gears more, and would be the person slowing
everyone up going up steep hills. (Hehe i can live with that)

But then there have been a few posts saying that i wont get out of 3rd
gear on the flat (not good) and that i wont be able to get past 30mph
even on motorways.

I dont want to be stuck in 3rd for 200 miles, it wouldnt be good for my
engine...or am i worrying too much? Will i be able to stay in 4th or
5th on motorways, and drive at 40-50ish?

Thanks again

After my car "went on stop" ( a great Pembrokeshireism) my Mrs's 1900
normally aspirated diesel BX (same engineas yours) pulled our van up and
down the M4 quite happily all day . Initially cruising at 40 to fifty in
fourth it was obviously happy so ended up at 50 to 60in fifth, down to
fourth for the hills. It ended up just as fast as my 2.1 diesel. Another
point, normally aspirated diesels have a broader power band and will
actually hill start better than a turbo model , nothing downstairs and
then loads at 2500 revs up isnt really what your clutch needs on a 1 in 5
in Cornwall.
Steve the grease

Old September 27th 03, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
QrizB

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 07:27:44 +0000 (UTC), "alex.haden"
wrote:

Ok thanks to everyone for the replies, its much appreciated.

Howvere im more confuzzed than ever.

I was getting the imporession that u i would be able to pull the 975kg
van with my Non turbo Diesel with a max braked of 1100kg, and that i
would have to use my gears more, and would be the person slowing
everyone up going up steep hills. (Hehe i can live with that)

But then there have been a few posts saying that i wont get out of 3rd
gear on the flat (not good) and that i wont be able to get past 30mph
even on motorways.

I dont want to be stuck in 3rd for 200 miles, it wouldnt be good for my
engine...or am i worrying too much? Will i be able to stay in 4th or
5th on motorways, and drive at 40-50ish?

I'm not going to answer your questions, but I'll ask you one instead.
Will the dealer let you take the caravan in question for a test drive?
Then you'll find out most of these answers for yourself, assuming you
don't live somewhere where there's no hills and no dual carriageways.

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old September 27th 03, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Des

Could it have been alex.haden who typed:

:: Ok thanks to everyone for the replies, its much appreciated.
::
:: Howvere im more confuzzed than ever.
::
Snip
::
:: I dont want to be stuck in 3rd for 200 miles, it wouldnt be good for
:: my engine...or am i worrying too much? Will i be able to stay in
:: 4th or 5th on motorways, and drive at 40-50ish?

I have towed a 1050kg caravan with a 1.9 BX (a heavier car)same engine and I
found it was only on the longer climbs (M6 Shap!) I sometimes had to drop to
3rd but that was a fully laden car and van (wife, 2 direct debits, and a
large dog). most of the time it was happy in 5th gear at 60mph dropping
occasionally to 4th just to keep it at 60mph. and had the torque to pull
away at low revs.
I also had the the turbo version which was, on the whole, better at
holding 60 with fewer gearchanges but you had to 'rev the nuts off it' for
hill starts (did not seem to bother it though) as someone has already
mentioned turbos have less power under 2500revs!

I now tow the same caravan with an Audi 80 turbodiesel a vast 1588cc!!! and
it tows fine and keeps up with the traffic without to much gear stirring!!
but again you do have to rev it to get going.

Des

---

Old September 27th 03, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
QrizB

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:49:13 +0100, "Des" wrote:

I have towed a 1050kg caravan with a 1.9 BX (a heavier car)same engine and I
found it was only on the longer climbs (M6 Shap!) I sometimes had to drop to
3rd but that was a fully laden car and van (wife, 2 direct debits, and a
large dog).

I also had the the turbo version which was, on the whole, better at
holding 60 with fewer gearchanges but you had to 'rev the nuts off it' for
hill starts (did not seem to bother it though) as someone has already
mentioned turbos have less power under 2500revs!

Of course, the turbo BX was only a 1.7, and at low revs when theb
turbo wasn't helping it would be less powerful than the 1.9.

(I'm an ex-BX owner myself.)

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old September 27th 03, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

wrote:

But then there have been a few posts saying that i wont get out of 3rd
gear on the flat (not good) and that i wont be able to get past 30mph
even on motorways.

I've lost count of the times I've recounted on here that my first
towcar was a Skoda 120L ( you know the one that had all the jokes made
about it. ) I towed a van that was 800kg laden with a car that had a
kerbweight of 890kg. It's max power was 53bhp, and it's max torque
IIRR was about 70 ( whatever they are but the old fashioned units ).
It had five speeds on the motorway depeding on what gear I was in and
all required my foot flat on the floor. But on the level it would
travel at 55 or just above in 5th gear, if the speed dropped below 50
I dropped a gear, I dropped to 3rd at 40 and to 2nd at 25. I only very
rarely got into 3rd gear on the motorway and those times were on the
steepest of hills. I towed through the middle of the Lake district
from Kendal to Keswick and back with no problems, I was at least as
quick as the waggons. On the way back the hill out of Keswick is quite
steep but it climbed up in 2nd. All in all it was a viable towcar
though not to be recommended. I was acutely aware of the caravan going
down hills on the motorway so restricted my speed there to 50. Belive
me, with care and thought and an awareness of what is going on you
will not have a problem with your normally aspirated diesel.

(remove the spam to reply)