Ford Focus as Towcar

Old September 28th 03, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Hayes

Default Ford Focus as Towcar

Recently bought a 1.8 petrol Focus and am in the process of looking for a
suitable Eriba, max weight of which will be 1000 kg - the Focus is approx
1200 kg. The car/caravan weight ratio is OK, but has anyone here got a
Focus and can give me an idea on how well (or otherwise) it tows.

Thanks
Tony
Old September 28th 03, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Hayes

kqr wrote:

In article , Tony Hayes
says...

Recently bought a 1.8 petrol Focus and am in the process of looking for a
suitable Eriba, max weight of which will be 1000 kg - the Focus is approx
1200 kg. The car/caravan weight ratio is OK, but has anyone here got a
Focus and can give me an idea on how well (or otherwise) it tows.
Thanks
Tony

I have a Honda Civic 1.6 SE VTEC [1200]
Not a focus [better IMO] but similar in
shape/size/tow capacity. So FWIW - I tow
a 990 [Actual weight loaded] van and have
no problems at all. Good mileage, good
acceleration and pulls very well. However,
that weight is loaded the van is actually
880kgs MIRO. Personally I wouldn't even bother
with a van of the weight you are on about.
The loss in capacity would be noticeable.

HTH

Thanks for your reply. I should have been clearer in my terminology -the
1000 kg figure is the max laden weight. The actual unladen weight of the
caravan is 820 kg. So on that basis and your advice I should be OK.

Thanks
Tony
Old September 28th 03, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony

"Tony Hayes" wrote in message
t...
kqr wrote:

In article , Tony Hayes
says...

[...]

Hi Tony

I tow a Bailey Pagent Magenta, unladen weight 859kgs, max laden weight
1100kgs, with a 90ps 1.8 tdi estate ( kerb weight 1295kgs, ---85% =1100kgs
,no problem at all, keeps up with all moterway and urban traffic.
Fuel consumption is in the low to mid thirty's but that again is diesel.
hope this is of some help ----another Tony

Old September 28th 03, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"Tony" wrote in message

"Tony Hayes" wrote in message
t...
kqr wrote:

In article , Tony

Hayes
says...

Recently bought a 1.8 petrol Focus and am in the process of looking

for
Bear in mind your car has a petrol engine it probably produces its max.

torgue at high revs which is not kind to the clutch especially on hill
starts. Whereas a diesel engine car normally generates its highest torgue at
lower revs which is better for hill starts and therefor kinder to the
clutch. But i would check if it has a flat torgue curve and it is near its
max at say between 1900 and 2100 revs it could be ok but if its producing
max torgue at say 3000 to 3500 revs thats bad news.
Also the gearing is important and say in top gear at 60 it should be reving
at say around the 200 rev mark.
Mike

Old September 29th 03, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Michael Haselhof

The focus, is the modern replacement of the sturdy and trustworthy escort,
so you'll find a few of the qualities of the escort in it, the weight is
about the same as the escort was, and i dare say the handling will be about
the same too!
you've got the basics there i.e. keep the weight down.
t...