Towing with a Mondeo Automatic

Old September 29th 03, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hodge

Default Towing with a Mondeo Automatic

I'm thinking of towing with a Ford Mondeo Estate with the Durashift 5
Tronic automatic gearbox.
No doubt the car will tow okay it's just the auto box I'm concerned about.
Will it need an extra Oil cooler or are these newer autos okay?

Anybody had experience with this set up please.

Thanks in advance.

Hodge

Old September 29th 03, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Hodge
writes
I'm thinking of towing with a Ford Mondeo Estate with the Durashift 5
Tronic automatic gearbox.
No doubt the car will tow okay it's just the auto box I'm concerned about.
Will it need an extra Oil cooler or are these newer autos okay?

Anybody had experience with this set up please.

Thanks in advance.

Hodge

I've towed with lots of autos without a problem. All have already had an
oil cooler in situ, but check with Ford for peace of mind - don't bother
with your local dealer, they won't have a clue and will say yes just to
be safe.
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid
Old September 29th 03, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Hodge
writes
I'm thinking of towing with a Ford Mondeo Estate with the Durashift 5
Tronic automatic gearbox.
No doubt the car will tow okay it's just the auto box I'm concerned

about.
Will it need an extra Oil cooler or are these newer autos okay?

Anybody had experience with this set up please.

Thanks in advance.

Hodge

I've towed with lots of autos without a problem. All have already had an
oil cooler in situ, but check with Ford for peace of mind - don't bother
with your local dealer, they won't have a clue and will say yes just to
be safe.
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid

I towed with a Mondeo 2.0lt auto and hated the experience. The gearbox
hunted between three and four and due to the ratio gap being too large, it
always felt as though the engine was going to drop out when it changed down.

Old September 30th 03, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hodge

Rather worrying that last posting about the 2.0ltr auto, I currently tow
with a Volvo V70 auto and prior to that a Volvo 740 auto which both towed
very well indeed.
Starting to think that perhaps I should stick with the more expensive
Volvo's.
Just thought I could save a few pounds.

Thanks for all your input.

Hodge
"bowtiejim" wrote in message

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Hodge
writes

Old September 30th 03, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Cole

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:50:56 +0100, "Hodge"
wrote:
Rather worrying that last posting about the 2.0ltr auto, I currently tow
with a Volvo V70 auto and prior to that a Volvo 740 auto which both towed
very well indeed.
Starting to think that perhaps I should stick with the more expensive
Volvo's.
Just thought I could save a few pounds.

Thanks for all your input.

Hodge

Like you I tow with a V70 Auto (1998 with 4 speed Auto) and it
seems to stick in 3rd most of the time, if I want to maintain 60
on the autoroutes.

Richard
(ROT13 to e-mail me directly). See
http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk for most things to do with caravanning.
--
Take One ticket to New Orleans, Take One cab to Bourbon Street, Take steps to
the counter of the all night frozen dacquiri shop. Take One Large Cupful. --
Old September 30th 03, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stuart Bell

Hodge wrote:

Rather worrying that last posting about the 2.0ltr auto, I currently tow
with a Volvo V70 auto and prior to that a Volvo 740 auto which both towed
very well indeed.
Starting to think that perhaps I should stick with the more expensive
Volvo's.
Just thought I could save a few pounds.

Both the Caravan Club and the Camping & C'vanning Club test cars as tow
cars. Also, there is an annual test of towcars and awards published in
one of the caravanning mags. A google might help.

FWIW my 1983 Volvo 240 was a great tow car - all the way to Provence and
back - and that may have been because only having 3 forward gears, and
rather under-geared, it was never in any doubt about which to be in!

Stuart
--
Spamfritterspam exists only in the world of the address
harvesting spam bot. Try stuartsmacs at the same domain
Old October 1st 03, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hodge

No problem with gears with my V70, tows as if solo. admittedly it's a T5 but
my old 740 towed quite happily in what I would call normal gears.

Hodge!