wildcamping solo activites

Old July 5th 03, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jason Hall

Default wildcamping solo activites

"pief" [email protected] wrote in message
What other recouperative activities are there to partake of for the
solo wildcamper convalescing in the cloudtops?
--
'pief:]t

Take a simple delta kite (preferably made with your own hands) and let
it soar above the summit on a thermal, weather permitting!

I never could quite understand the point of racing to the summit then
racing back down again, only to get back to the busy world below with
hours to spare and nought to do, though I have been guilty of it
myself often enough. What better than to find some deserted place in
NW Scotland, high above the midges and just sit and watch and feel the
healing energy with a knowing smile of contentment?

Sadly something I do all too rarely!

JBH

Old July 5th 03, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jason Hall

Dan Leigh is indeed the king of delta's! My own kites are made with
reference to the information he generously makes available on his
website.

JBH

"Steve Watkin" wrote in message

The mention of kites makes me light up!
I always carry a single line delta kite with me although it's not

home made.
It's from http://www.deltakites.com/ and it's performance is

outstanding
especially in thermal conditions. This man is the "Guru" of delta

kites!
It can occupy as much or as little time as you have but most

important is
their therapeutic effect. A real "chill out" and very suitable for

the sort
of mentality that goes with solo wild camping.
If you want more info. just ask.

Regards
SW

Old July 5th 03, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jason Hall

Default Camping with Kites

"Pief" [email protected] wrote in message
news
"Jason Hall" wrote in message

Take a simple delta kite (preferably made with your own hands)

and let
it soar above the summit on a thermal, weather permitting!

This is a great suggestion, how much does a kite and its string

weigh?
I would be intrested in the possibility of using the kite as bivouac
too
--
'pief:]t

My 6ft wingspan delta weighs 250g in its bag with 100m of line, it's
designed to fly in very light winds. But really the sky's the limit
;-)

JBH

Old July 5th 03, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Pief

ayeMeHarties: |[ Jason Hall's ]| ahoy...

"Jason Hall" wrote in message

Take a simple delta kite (preferably made with your own hands)

and let
it soar above the summit on a thermal, weather permitting!

This is a great suggestion, how much does a kite and its string

weigh?
I would be intrested in the possibility of using the kite as bivouac
too
--
'pief:]t

My 6ft wingspan delta weighs 250g in its bag with 100m of line, it's
designed to fly in very light winds. But really the sky's the limit
;-)

JBH

That is very light, around the weight of a tin of sardines!
--
'pief:]t
Old July 5th 03, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Pief

ayeMeHarties: |[ Steve Watkin's ]| ahoy...
I have never weighed mine but it can only be a few ounces. This small
amount of weight is never a problem for me as any inconvenience caused by
the weight is massively outweighed by the pleasure and tranquillity that is
achieved by it's use.
To use it as a bivi would be sacrilege. This is a precision flying machine
and will never perform well if you sleep in, or under, it as the material
will deteriorate and stretch out of shape!!

Regards
SW

Nevertheless, The possibility of it doubling as shelter is
tantalising, nice shape, frame, wind resistant ..
When I say bivouc, I mean a suspended cover which keeps rain and dew
off. I heard ripstop nylon kite material suggested as good stuff for a
bivouac, so maybe considering the weight of Jasons kite -at 250gs, I
could just buy two lots, one for a kite and one for a bivouac. I
wouldnt like to sleep under brightly coloured material anyway.

Kites are things which most people like to see flying too,
I wonder do birds ever intrest themselves in them when theyre flying?
I'll definatley check that other link out, and give this a go. I love
taking cool things with me camping and especialy surprising my in laws
who do thier worst to make trips seem like girl guide finnishing
school
-Haha, cant wait to see their faces when theyre fussing about the
sheeptrack I dragged them up and I whip out my Kite )
--
'pief:]t
Old July 5th 03, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jason Hall

"Pief" [email protected] wrote in message

Nevertheless, The possibility of it doubling as shelter is
tantalising, nice shape, frame, wind resistant ..

I can certainly understand how it sounds like a good idea but as Steve
said, it would be a great shame. The type of kite Steve and I are
talking about are delicate things that float and soar almost without
need for wind. They would be destroyed in high wind and so wouldnt
make much of a shelter. There are many types of kite tho, the
possibilities really are endless.

When I say bivouc, I mean a suspended cover which keeps rain and dew
off. I heard ripstop nylon kite material suggested as good stuff for

bivouac, so maybe considering the weight of Jasons kite -at 250gs, I
could just buy two lots, one for a kite and one for a bivouac. I
wouldnt like to sleep under brightly coloured material anyway.

Ripstop can be had in weights from about 1/2 oz/m up to 1 1/2oz/m or
so, for a shelter and for most kites the heavier stuff is probably
best/easiest to work with and the weight difference in practical terms
is negligeable. If I remember correctly these people sell goretex and
ripstop nylon http://www.pointnorth.co.uk/default.asp whether it is
the type of goretex that is good for bivouacs I dont know.

Kites are things which most people like to see flying too,
I wonder do birds ever intrest themselves in them when theyre

flying?

The birds have never shown much interest in my kites, but there are
plenty of storys amongst kite flyers of birds coming in for a closer
look.

Here is a link to a simple delta plan that is easy to build
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Me.../delta_eng.htm

Though excellent, Dan Leigh's site (suggested by Steve) might be a bit
technical for a first time builder.

I'll definatley check that other link out, and give this a go. I

love
taking cool things with me camping and especialy surprising my in

laws
who do thier worst to make trips seem like girl guide finnishing
school
-Haha, cant wait to see their faces when theyre fussing about the
sheeptrack I dragged them up and I whip out my Kite )

lol go for it!

In case you get the bug, http://www.win.tue.nl/~pp/kites/index.html
even more kite plans here.

JBH

Old July 5th 03, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
[email protected]

"Jason Hall" wrote in news:be66uq$qln$1
@news8.svr.pol.co.uk:

"pief" [email protected] wrote in message
What other recouperative activities are there to partake of for the
solo wildcamper convalescing in the cloudtops?
--
'pief:]t

Take a simple delta kite (preferably made with your own hands) and let
it soar above the summit on a thermal, weather permitting!

snip

mmm... kites!....

I got a little steerable kite a while ago but I haven't taken it camping
yet. It should be very convenient for back-packing because it's a spar-
less parafoil-type design and the whole lot (including lines) only comes
to a smidgen over 200g.

--
Mick
http://www.nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini info.
Old July 6th 03, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
T i m

It was said . Kites are things which most people like to see
flying too,

[Tim] I have been building and flying kites since I was a kid and even
when cycle camping with try to take *something* kite-wise with me.

Although I have built and flown big deltas I get more pleasure / fun /
exercise flying two line kites and more specifically, the Flexifoil
wings. They have a two (or more) piece carbon spar that slides into a
pocket at the front and in the air looks like a flying air matress!

I bought my first '6 'Stacker' whilst camping at a kite festival in
Brighton yonks ago and I still have it and it still flies well.

In light winds it floats abut the sky (like paving slabs don't) and
has to be gently 'played' like a fish to keep it flying. In strong
winds I believe they can reach 70mph (and were in the Guiness Book of
Records for doing so) yet are still very quiet (unlike some delta
shaped stunt kites).

Try this with most framed kites ... fly it to the top of the lines and
then do a power-dive straight down into the ground. Then tug one of
the lines (to flip the kite over) and then watch the undamaged kite
soar back into the sky! (great for when you are teaching a novice!)

The 4' model (Hotshot) is very fast and needs a bit of a breeze to fly
well. The '6 'Stacker' is the best all rounder, can be flown by a
child in most winds. The 8' model is a bit more of and handful and the
10' jobby is quite a workout in anything like a breeze!

I have most of the sizes and these have all been flown in all sorts of
conditions by all grades of people and I haven't had to repair or
replace anything yet!

The 6' Stackers can also be 'stacked' (hence the name) and I have
flown a stack of 12 and often stack 3 of my own. (other sizes can also
be stacked but possibly not so well)

The biggest pleasure for me tho is to walk over to the empty field
with a package about the size of an umbrella and within a few mins
(and unassisted) be flying my Flexi. Often folk see it flying and come
over to 'have a look' and I give them a chance to 'have a go'. In fact
some times I don't actually get to fly the thing myself but that for
me is what it's all about ... just watching their faces .. and seeing
them learn ;-)

My 12yr old daughter is a competent kite flyer and enjoys the 4'
Hotshot if it's windy and the 6' if the wind is lighter. The missus
will fly the 8' for a good hour before her neck / back start to hurt
her too much (not from kite flying .. more like old age) ;-(

http://www.flexifoil.com/products/stacker6.php

If I have to pack small (the 6' Flexi is normally taped to the solo
cycle / tandem crossbar) then I take 4 line sparless version similar
to a Flexi. More 'trick' but less 'fun' ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

(No conecction with the above co .. just a happy customer for over 25
years ..)

p.s. I'm not sure if they still do all the models I have.