Sites accessible by public transport?

Old July 9th 03, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Steve Watkin

Default Sites accessible by public transport?

Or you could try cycling!

SW

"Anna Stuttard" wrote in message
We're planning on taking up camping again - but with two small children

(6yo
and 3yo) and no car the biggest challenge is finding somewhere we can get
to.

We don't drive so hiring a car isn't an option. We need to find a
well-equipped site (with loos, showers, on-site shop etc) within walking
distance of a train station - I guess within a mile or so. Ideally close

a beach and a town.

We'll be carrying everything on our backs, including the tent and all our
equipment, plus enough clothes for the four of us, so we won't have room

for
loads of equipment. We did this a few times when we had just the one

child,
and in practice it meant that we tended to eat out a lot - so we need to

be
near somewhere with shops, cafes etc.

A tall order? Surely there must be somewhere. We've looked at a whole

range
of campsite recommendations - I've checked 20-30 or so promising looking
sites on the map, but they're all in the middle of nowhere.

So I'm hoping some of you have been to great sites which you happen to

know
are near train stations. We live in London, so the South coast would be
easiest, but we'll consider anywhere in Britain.

TIA for your recommendations -

Anna
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
News, pics and family stuff on our home page
www.tillyfaye.co.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old July 10th 03, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Anna Stuttard

Thanks for all the suggestions - very helpful, and I appreciate all the

Out of interest, I'm aware of the other alternatives to trains, but our
particular circumstances make trains much easier than buses. We don't want
to be stuck on one site, we'd like to be able to get out and about and take
the children to interesting places, so although local buses are helpful, IME
it's not OK to be on a site that's accessible only by taxi - getting a cab
every time we want to go out for the day is a real bind :-(

I have of course done loads of web research, and have found some sites that
seem to be close to train stations. But it's not easy to find out. Camp
sites seem to assume that everyone is coming by car - I've found only one
camp site web page that specifically mentions local train services - and all
the camp site guides I've looked at give directions by car and not public
transport. The one exception to that is the Alan Rogers guide, which is on
line and mentions local train and bus services - hurray!

Cycling... not ready for that yet!

So thanks for your input - I'm really looking forward to introducing the
kids to camping!

Anna

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old July 10th 03, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
QrizB

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:25:33 +0000 (UTC), "Anna Stuttard"
wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions - very helpful, and I appreciate all the

Sorry if I'm a bit late, but I was born and raised in Cornwall.
There's plenty of camp sites within a short walk of railway stations,
and plenty of railway stations to choose from - personally I'd
recommend the St. Ives branch line if you're fancying a beach-y
holiday.

I'm afraid I can't recommend any particular site, as I generally
cycled to the beach from home!

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old July 11th 03, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Anna Stuttard

"Niles" wrote in message

snip

Just as a matter of interest, how on earth are you going to carry

everything
you need for a family? I can barely manage it with just me, but can't

even
begin to conceive how much extra paraphanalia you'd need to keep small
children entertainied!

We're olympic gold medallist packers! Plus we just do without stuff that
other people take.

Tent in one rucksack - big enough to sleep four and crucially not have to
bend down to get in, because when you're carrying a child, low doors are a
nightmare.

The 6yo has a pull-along case, which will hold the kids' clothes, and
everything else goes in the other rucksack. The kids sleep on sheepskins,
which we carry in the little one's pram (she sits on them).

We take minimal cooking stuff and buy food when we arrive - we also give
ourselves permission to eat out! Stuff to keep the kids entertained is
really not a problem - they don't need entertaining because we're on
holiday together and everything is interesting.

Actually the worst thing is bedding. We never have room for pillows and have
to use sleeping bags, which I hate - if we drove we'd be able to take decent
sleeping mats, pillows, duvets etc.

We camped several times when the older child was a baby, but we've haven't
braved it with two. I'm sure it will be fine - I've now got a list of about
nine potential sites to check out. Funnily enough, a work colleague
mentioned Shell Islan to me yesterday, so I'll check that out as well.

Regards -

Anna