tent recommendations - help!

Old July 10th 03, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Julie Meikle

Default tent recommendations - help!

Hi,

Bear in mind that the children may feel insecure in a vis a vis style. Some
are fine, but if not one with bedrooms alongside each other may help? ...or
even one that is a huge room with a divider you can roll up if you want a
big room or tie down if you want to split it in two....especially whilst
they are small.

Either way they will love it! My daughter (now 13) has camped all her life
and now brings a friend sometimes for weekends and still loves it....even in
the rain.

Vango are a good make, as are Outwell. Wynnester always look a bit "flappy"
to me!. Fair weather cannot always be guaranteed in UK of course so it is
worth getting the best quality you can afford/ get for your money as you
never know when the wind will get up!

Try going to a few displays so you can see the tents up so you decide which
style/shape you need.

Good luck
Julie

"JK" wrote in message
I need to get a tent that will last a few years for fair weather camping
holidays. Two adults and two toddlers. I quite fancy a 'viz-a-viz' style
dome, such as the Wynnster Buzzard 4, but will it be practical for a

fairly
chaotic young family, or should I try and get something much bigger? Are
Wynnster a good make? What about Gelert, they have some good options too.

Many thanks,

John

Old July 10th 03, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JK[_2_]

"Julie Meikle" wrote in message
Hi,

Bear in mind that the children may feel insecure in a vis a vis style.

Some
are fine, but if not one with bedrooms alongside each other may help?

....or
even one that is a huge room with a divider you can roll up if you want a
big room or tie down if you want to split it in two....especially whilst
they are small.

Yes, I did think about that. The Gelert Tunnel 4 looked good to me until a
shop told me they weren't stocking Gelert any more, and recommended a
Wynnster (which they did sell!).

I need to get it for next weekend for a wedding. We only have one child at
the moment, and one due in September. I'm considering getting a cheap
Eurohike dome for 40 rather than rush into this - I'd rather visit a few
stores and see them pitched than have to rely on the net; and we probably
won't be considering camping again for at least a year after the boy
arrives!

John

Old July 11th 03, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Dave[_2_]

Good idea...

visit a few displays...talk to people and THEN make your mind up.

Dave

Old July 11th 03, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
JK[_2_]

Mystery Man wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Good idea...

visit a few displays...talk to people and THEN make your mind up.

Dave

If the OP could give some idea of their location, then I'm sure other
conributors could offer some suggestions on good places to look

London - not the kind of place where large fields full of tents are a good
business model I suspect!

In the end I went for a compromise. I ordered a Vango Venture 500 for 90
from outdoormegastore.co.uk - it will do us fine for the small amount of
camping we're likely to do over the next few years, but one day, ONE DAY,
I'll have one of those three room moon unit things with a jacuzzi!

Old July 11th 03, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Anna Stuttard

A bit late since you've already purchased a tent, but IME it helps to have a
door you don't have to crawl through if you're carrying a child!

Anna

--

News, pics and family stuff on our home page