First Time Camping

Old July 11th 03, 02:11 PM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
Ir. Hanafi Ali

Default First Time Camping

Hi there.

In two weeks, I would be in the jungle. Dont know how dense a forest it'd
be, but it is a tropical National Park about 30 miles from a town called in
Miri in Borneo.

Prime worries (fears!) would be leeches and wild boars. Any tips on avoiding
these two beasts? Mosquitoes I can handle.

This camping activity is under the national service and being in the
military, there are things I can and cannot carry, although this being a
battalion-level activity the commanders wouldn't be too strict on things.
Could anyone provide me a list of things I could carry?

There will be a little bit of walking/jungle trekking.

A checklist of items to bring, dos and donts would be much appreciated.

Old July 11th 03, 04:31 PM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
Jonathan Stafford

Prime worries (fears!) would be leeches and wild boars. Any tips on

avoiding
these two beasts? Mosquitoes I can handle.

Encircle your tent with the power of fire! Or at least have one going all
night. Military = Lookouts, therefore a man with a gun should protect you
from the boars.
Leeches are a different issue and I can only suggest not showering for a
fortnight. They are easy to pull off though and if some of those
celebreties in the jungle can cope with them I'm sure a ruffty tuffty
soldier can! Personally I'd stick to Devon and have done with it!

Let us know how it went,
Have a great time

Jonathan

Old July 11th 03, 04:49 PM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
Jim[_2_]

Hah! Lot of fuss about nothing.. Borneo? Hah! I camped in Scotland with
MIDGES...mouths on 'en like carthorses.

Old July 11th 03, 05:04 PM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
Gary S.

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:27:53 +0000 (UTC), Fritz M +
wrote:

Gary S. [email protected] wrote:

Leeches and boars are not something I am familiar with.

Gary,

Would you have any idea if "Bear-Pruf"(TM) tents would be effective against
wild boars? Perhaps Galen can arrange for a field test in Borneo?

All it would take would be a minor spelling change.

Alternately, my add-on High Voltage power supply, to make it the
"Bug-Pruf"(TM) Zapper model, could be cranked up enough to take out a
charging boar and cook it for breakfast all at once.

You thought bug zappers were fine entertainment, just wait until you
see this. An early test version was shown in the movie Jurassic Park.

Every outdoors person knows that multipurpose devices are preferable.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old July 11th 03, 11:21 PM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
Ir. Hanafi Ali

"Fritz M" + wrote in message

Would you have any idea if "Bear-Pruf"(TM) tents would be effective

against
wild boars? Perhaps Galen can arrange for a field test in Borneo?

I have given it a thought, and I think wild boars are shy animal.
You only see its mud holes. They wouldnt go near humans
unless cornered or surprised.

Old July 11th 03, 11:25 PM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
Ir. Hanafi Ali

"Jonathan Stafford" wrote in message

night. Military = Lookouts, therefore a man with a gun should protect you

True, true. But we are volunteer soldiers, and only twenty live bullets are
given to each platoon (of thirty men/women).

Leeches are a different issue and I can only suggest not showering for a

Leeches are my prime worries, simply because I have the pathological
fear for all things crawlies. Yes, grown matured men like me dont like
these things without spine.

Old July 11th 03, 11:25 PM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
Ir. Hanafi Ali

"Jim" wrote in message
. ..
Hah! Lot of fuss about nothing.. Borneo? Hah! I camped in Scotland with
MIDGES...mouths on 'en like carthorses.

I assume midges are native beast of Scotland with fiendishly
dangerous features?

Old July 12th 03, 12:17 AM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
Gary S.

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:21:21 +0800, "Ir. Hanafi Ali"
wrote:

"Fritz M" + wrote in message
. 1...

Would you have any idea if "Bear-Pruf"(TM) tents would be effective

against
wild boars? Perhaps Galen can arrange for a field test in Borneo?

I have given it a thought, and I think wild boars are shy animal.
You only see its mud holes. They wouldnt go near humans
unless cornered or surprised.

The Bear-Pruf (TM) tent is a running joke over in rec.backcountry.

Old July 12th 03, 05:19 AM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
[email protected]

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:25:01 +0800, "Ir. Hanafi Ali"
wrote:

Leeches are my prime worries,

Salt. If they're like US leeches, they'll curl up and drop off if a
little salt is put on them. I don't know of any way to avoid them,
just how to get rid of them. Sorry. From my experience with
horseflies, however, it's a great comfort to watch them die.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old July 12th 03, 07:12 AM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
toadmonkey

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:19:40 +0800, "Ir. Hanafi Ali"
wrote:

Reason why I mentioned this would be an Army program was because
there'd be some limitation to what I can bring. Other than carrying a
backpack,
I'd also be "carrying". A Colt M-16 which is 2.2. kg with empty magazines,
which,
unlike water or food, does not decrease in weight.

A quality backpack to carry everything

As I mentioned above. The army issue backpack could hardly carry squat.
I was reading camping tips and one was advised to carry this/that, i.e.
small
stool, flip flops, Coleman lanterns, propane burners, I mean the whole
garage for heaven's sake, that was why I post a question specific to
military. This is an infantry unit, so walking, and being light for mobility
would be the norm.

I just joined the Territorial Army (it is purely voluntary) early last year.
Why? Love for the uniform. It is real soldiering but everyone knows
volunteer soldiers are the stepchildren of the Army so getting proper
gears for us volunteers arent high on Malaysian Army list of priorities.

Ali, I would suggest that the CO and NCOs have loaded weapons. If something
happens where youneed a gun, what are you gonna do? Use it as a club?

If you are in the Territorial Army (here in America it goes by several different
names like National Guard which is federal and state funded, and *militia* which
is not only absent of any government funding but is also highly disliked by most
government agencies) you should be trained in proper gun safety. If everyone in
the unit is trained in gun safety, it wouldn't phase me one bit to have all of
them armed. After all, you trust them enough to go into combat with them,
right?

You may want to see about getting surplus military gear. British, American,
French, and even your own militaries commonly have some what of a surplus gear
program. Personally, for what you are describing, I would suggest a full size
Alice pack, Y or H suspenders, and an Alice belt. Lots of stuff you can pack on
that, and not only is it out of the way, but it's very accessable.

Whatever it is you get, make sure you are comfortable and familar with it. And
make darn well sure you can rely on it. Faulty equipment can cost you more than
just money.
TM

--
Toadmonkey: "Now now. Brain popping and world crashing may be hazardous to ones perception of reality.
Very dangerous business that can lead to madness or something worse for some, truth."

Please remove all bits of spam from addy before replying....