Camping in Coniston, Lake District

Old July 15th 03, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jeannie

Default Camping in Coniston, Lake District

We want to go camping to Coniston in the Lake District on the week before
the August bank holiday. We are looking for a quiet camp site for a
relaxing week! Does anyone have any recommendations about which camp site
to stay on as we haven't visited the area before.

Old July 15th 03, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Bryn[_2_]

coniston old hall is a very nice site right on the edge of the lake, ok
shower block and a small shop at the enterance

Old July 15th 03, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
steve Wilcox

If you want a quiet, relaxing week you're gonna be disappointed if you stay
in the Coniston area . . . . along with Ambleside, Grasmere and Windermere
you'll find the place jam packed with holidaymakers at this time of year.

However, if you don't mind an extra hours driving then I'd advise you to
consider Eskdale. As its separated from the "tourist" part of the lakes by
the notorious Hard Knott and Wrynose passes ( which aren't the only ways to
access the area - they're just the quickest . . . .) its much less
congested - the masses tend to leave the place alone - For instance I drove
through a chock-a-block Ambleside 2 weeks ago and only an hour later was
walking through the lanes of Boot with only the birds in the trees keeping
me company . . . . .

Try this links page - http://www.eskdale.info/links.html - I'd thoroughly
recommend Fisherground campsite, but it will get busy around bank holiday
time. Its a mecca for lovers of the area - clean, quiet ( even when busy -
you'll find mainly families there . . .) and very laid back. Campfires are
allowed, and theres even a wood nearby for you to collect firewood. If you
have kids they'll adore the adventure playground.
Some people may consider the place isolated from the heart of the Lake
District, but, hey, you wanted quiet !

Sorry if this sounds like a advert for the place, but IMHO Eskdale and
Wasdale are the finest parts of the Lake District, so much so that its the
only part of the area that I visit on a regular basis nowadays.

--
Peace !

Steve Wilcox, Walsall

"If Whisky Don't Kill Me I'll Live 'Til I Die"

Old July 15th 03, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
KGB[_2_]

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:12:12 GMT, "steve Wilcox"
wrote:

SNIP

However, if you don't mind an extra hours driving then I'd advise you to
consider Eskdale. As its separated from the "tourist" part of the lakes by
the notorious Hard Knott and Wrynose passes ( which aren't the only ways to
access the area - they're just the quickest . . . .) its much less
congested - the masses tend to leave the place alone - For instance I drove
through a chock-a-block Ambleside 2 weeks ago and only an hour later was
walking through the lanes of Boot with only the birds in the trees keeping
me company . . . . .

SNIP

Hi

Alas, Boot hasn't been the same since Josie ceased being Landlady of
the Burnmoor Inn - many years ago, but the memory lingers.

She used to strip stark naked and dance on the tables. It wasn't a
pretty sight - she was getting on a bit - but it kept the pub, and the
local campsites full. 8^)

Regards

P.S. I would add that the Burnmoor is now a highly respectable family
pub - doing decent bar food.

KGB
Old July 15th 03, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fran[_2_]

steve Wilcox said...
If you want a quiet, relaxing week you're gonna be disappointed if you stay
in the Coniston area . . . . along with Ambleside, Grasmere and Windermere
you'll find the place jam packed with holidaymakers at this time of year.

However, if you don't mind an extra hours driving then I'd advise you to
consider Eskdale.

I agree. There's a good site at Hollins Farm in Boot, with
toilets and washing water provided. There are token meters for
showers, hot washing up water (but cold is provided), and
laundry facilities. You'll probably do well to book in advance
for August.
http://www.hollinsfarmcampsite.co.uk
--

Fran
The email address in the headers is now a spamtrap; however
Old July 16th 03, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jeannie

Thanks for all the info and advice. I think we will try Eskdale instead of
Coniston as it sounds much more relaxing and that's what I need. Thanks for
everything.

Jeannie

Old July 16th 03, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
steve Wilcox

You won't regret it . . . .

While you're in Eskdale don't forget to :

Ride on the "Ratty"

Visit Wasdale Head - magnificent place . . . .

Have a few drinks in the Wasdale Head Inn, The George, The Burnmoor, The
Woolpack and The
Santon Bridge Inn.

Visit Miterdale ( ask at the post office in Eskdale Green . . .) - such
a peaceful place . . .

Have Fun ! Don't forget to let us all know what you think of the place !

--
Peace !

Steve Wilcox

"If Whisky Don't Kill Me I'll Live 'Til I Die"

Old July 16th 03, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
KGB[_2_]

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:06:41 GMT, "steve Wilcox"
wrote:

You won't regret it . . . .

While you're in Eskdale don't forget to :

Ride on the "Ratty"

Visit Wasdale Head - magnificent place . . . .

Have a few drinks in the Wasdale Head Inn, The George, The Burnmoor, The
Woolpack and The
Santon Bridge Inn.

Visit Miterdale ( ask at the post office in Eskdale Green . . .) - such
a peaceful place . . .

Have Fun ! Don't forget to let us all know what you think of the place !

Hi

Not to mention Sellafield Visitors Centre or Florence Mine if you get
fed up with scenery.

Can't vouch for it in the past couple of years since I've been there
for a meal, but the Brown Cow at Wabberthwaite (a short drive from
Eskdale) used to do excellent bar snacks - rumour has it, it is still
OK. Wabberthwaite Cumberland sausages (with apple sauce) are a must -
they are world famous.

And, if you are into real ale, you could take a drive down the coast
(or a trip by train depending how much you want to drink) to the
Prince of Wales, Foxfield - a wonderful friendly little
pub/microbrewery which in the past few years has become something of a
local "legend". They do basic but very good home made food of a
weekend - but no chips, Stuart the landlord/brewer won't have vinegar
on the premises in case it affects his brewing.

In fact come to think of it, Broughton (a couple of miles from
Foxfield) is a mecca for real ale drinkers, several pubs all serving
"proper" beer.

Regards

KGB
Old July 16th 03, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
[email protected]

"Jeannie" wrote in
:

We want to go camping to Coniston in the Lake District on the week
before the August bank holiday. We are looking for a quiet camp site
for a relaxing week! Does anyone have any recommendations about which
camp site to stay on as we haven't visited the area before.

ah... I like the header. Fitted floats onto your tent have you? :-)

--
Mick
http://www.nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini info.
Old July 17th 03, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
steve Wilcox

ah... I like the header. Fitted floats onto your tent have you? :-)

No - that would be Coniston Water - Coniston is the town at the head of the
lake . . . . :-)

--
Peace !

Steve Wilcox

"If Whisky Don't Kill Me I'll Live 'Til I Die"