Inverter question

Old July 15th 03, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paul Groves

Default Inverter question

Hi - I'm thinking about buying an inverter to tun 240v equipment from my
campervan's leisure batteries, but am unsure of the capacity I need. 150
watt units are quite affordable, but do I really need a 300 watt (or more)
unit? I have limited funds so if the 150 watt unit would do the job, then
that's fine. I guess the main thing I want it for is to run a medium-sized
CD ghetto-blaster (portable stereo) - how many watts would such a thing
typically consume?

cheers

Paul

Old July 15th 03, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian Rothery

"Paul Groves" wrote in message
Hi - I'm thinking about buying an inverter to tun 240v equipment from my
campervan's leisure batteries, but am unsure of the capacity I need. 150
watt units are quite affordable, but do I really need a 300 watt (or more)
unit? I have limited funds so if the 150 watt unit would do the job, then
that's fine. I guess the main thing I want it for is to run a

medium-sized
CD ghetto-blaster (portable stereo) - how many watts would such a thing
typically consume?

cheers

Paul

Maplins, www.maplin.co.uk are currently (excuse the pun) doing the 150w job
at 19.99

Adrian.

Old July 15th 03, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris French

In message , Paul Groves
writes
Hi - I'm thinking about buying an inverter to tun 240v equipment from my
campervan's leisure batteries, but am unsure of the capacity I need. 150
watt units are quite affordable, but do I really need a 300 watt (or more)
unit? I have limited funds so if the 150 watt unit would do the job, then
that's fine. I guess the main thing I want it for is to run a medium-sized
CD ghetto-blaster (portable stereo) - how many watts would such a thing
typically consume?

For running stuff like that then 150W should be fine.

Have a look at the rating plate on the back/bottom.

I have small/medium sized portable stereo and that is rated at 8W, even
a much larger one probably is no more than 20-30W

A TV is probably around 80W
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old July 15th 03, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook[_2_]

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:48:43 +0100, Paul Groves wrote:

Hi - I'm thinking about buying an inverter to tun 240v equipment from my
campervan's leisure batteries, but am unsure of the capacity I need. 150
watt units are quite affordable, but do I really need a 300 watt (or more)
unit? I have limited funds so if the 150 watt unit would do the job, then
that's fine. I guess the main thing I want it for is to run a medium-sized
CD ghetto-blaster (portable stereo) - how many watts would such a thing
typically consume?

How much music does it clam to pump out? Double (perhaps tripple) that figure
and you will have a rough consumption figure. A 150 W inverter should be more
than capable.

Old July 15th 03, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
[email protected] (>>sPoNiX

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:20:21 +0100, Phil Cook
wrote:

How much music does it clam to pump out? Double (perhaps tripple) that figure
and you will have a rough consumption figure. A 150 W inverter should be more
than capable.

Trouble is that most ghetto blasters give a *peak* power output rating
which is far in excess of the *rms* rating so appear far more powerful
than they actually are...

sPoNiX
Old July 15th 03, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paul

"Paul Groves" wrote in message
Paul wrote:
"Phil Cook" wrote in message

I have a 300w inverter limited to 150w by using a cigarette plug and
socket

Is a cigarette plug and socket limited to 150watts then? Its not a huge
deal, since can always connet to the leisure batteries with croc clips

and run a portable TV/video combo + playstation in the back of
my car.

The only problem I had was the inverter blew the cigarette lighter
fuse on startup of the TV. I disconnected the degausing coil in the
TV and it all works fine.

Try www.greenweld.co.uk for inverter

My inverter came with a cigarette plug and croc clips.

A cigarette socket is normally fused at 10A so give or take, 120 - 150w (yeh
my maths is that loose)

Paul

Old July 15th 03, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paul Groves

Paul wrote:
"Phil Cook" wrote in
message ...

I have a 300w inverter limited to 150w by using a cigarette plug and
socket

Is a cigarette plug and socket limited to 150watts then? Its not a
huge deal, since can always connet to the leisure batteries with
croc clips

and run a portable TV/video combo + playstation in the back of
my car.

The only problem I had was the inverter blew the cigarette lighter
fuse on startup of the TV. I disconnected the degausing coil in the
TV and it all works fine.

Try www.greenweld.co.uk for inverter

My inverter came with a cigarette plug and croc clips.

A cigarette socket is normally fused at 10A so give or take, 120 -
150w (yeh my maths is that loose)

Of course (thinks back to schoolboy physics lessons...) - Power = current x
voltage, right?

P = I*V
I = P/V

So if Power is 150 watts and Voltage is 12...

I = 150 / 12 = 12.5a

So basically the most you will get out of something with a 10a fuse before
it blows is:

P = 10 * 12 = 120 watts

Paul

Old July 16th 03, 07:09 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
John Moorhouse

In ,
Paul Groves typed:
Paul wrote:
"Paul Groves" wrote in message
Paul wrote:
"Phil Cook" wrote in
message ...

Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster
Gasworks"

[...]

This is assuming that the unit is 100% efficient if it is say 95% then the
input will be 120 Watts but the out put would be 120 *.95 = 114 watts, with
7 watts of heat / noise.

Ta

John

Old July 16th 03, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
John Moorhouse

Default Inverter question - oops

In ,
John Moorhouse typed:
In ,
Paul Groves typed:
Paul wrote:
[...]

Opps that should be 6 watts, to early in the morning

Old July 16th 03, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
[email protected]

"Paul Groves" wrote in
:

Hi - I'm thinking about buying an inverter to tun 240v equipment from
my campervan's leisure batteries, but am unsure of the capacity I
need. 150 watt units are quite affordable, but do I really need a 300
watt (or more) unit? I have limited funds so if the 150 watt unit
would do the job, then that's fine. I guess the main thing I want it
for is to run a medium-sized CD ghetto-blaster (portable stereo) - how
many watts would such a thing typically consume?

Which is cheaper, a "proper" inverter or a self-contained battery-
operated ghetto blaster that doesn't need one? It would probably be more
efficient than an inverter because they are usually about 80%-85%
efficient - you put more watts in than you can get out. That applies to
all inverter-type things e.g. flourescent lights.

--
Mick
http://www.nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini info.