Why use butane at all ?

Old October 1st 03, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

Default Why use butane at all ?

Hiya,

So we have butane and propane.

They seem to come in similar sized bottles and about the same cost to
refill (per gas / heat output).

Propane uses one regulator for a range of bottle sizes.

Propane works all year round in most places?

Is this like VHS Beta and we will slowly see butane dissapear?

All the best ..

T i m
Old October 1st 03, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Robin Dumpleton

No some campers have a small butane cylinder in under seat positions, only
Butane is allowed in this case.
Robin

Old October 1st 03, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:27:38 +0100, T i m wrote:

| Hiya,
|
| So we have butane and propane.
|
| They seem to come in similar sized bottles and about the same cost to
| refill (per gas / heat output).
|
| Propane uses one regulator for a range of bottle sizes.
|
| Propane works all year round in most places?
|
| Is this like VHS Beta and we will slowly see butane dissapear?

Probably not. Butane has advantages for Summer only use.
Butane gives about 15% more cups of tea per bottle.
Butane gives about 5% more cups of tea per GBP.

Old October 1st 03, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:04:02 +0000 (UTC), "Robin Dumpleton"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
Hiya,

So we have butane and propane.

They seem to come in similar sized bottles and about the same cost to
refill (per gas / heat output).

Propane uses one regulator for a range of bottle sizes.

Propane works all year round in most places?

Is this like VHS Beta and we will slowly see butane dissapear?

All the best ..

T i m

No some campers have a small butane cylinder in under seat positions,
only butane is allowed in this case.

Robin

[T] Hi Robin, thanks for that .. so butane is treated differently to
propane in some curcumstances? Who is controlling / saying what can be
used where out of interest?

All the best ..

T i m
Old October 1st 03, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 14:03:43 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

?

| Is this like VHS Beta and we will slowly see butane dissapear?

Probably not. Butane has advantages for Summer only use.
Butane gives about 15% more cups of tea per bottle.
Butane gives about 5% more cups of tea per GBP.

[T] Ah, a description I understand!

Cheers Dave ..

T i m ;-)

Old October 1st 03, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:27:38 +0100, T i m wrote:

Is this like VHS Beta and we will slowly see butane dissapear?

Both are produced in the process of refining oil, so if butane were
not sold then it would have to be burnt off.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old October 1st 03, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 19:42:38 +0100, bill lord
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:27:38 +0100, T i m wrote:

Is this like VHS Beta and we will slowly see butane dissapear?

Both are produced in the process of refining oil, so if butane were
not sold then it would have to be burnt off.

[T] Hi Bill,

So it's just a different fraction and we might as well use it in our
caravans along with butane?

While we are here (there) , can you expand on the comment in a
they don't allow propane please?

All the best

T i m
Old October 1st 03, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

wrote:

| On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:27:38 +0100, T i m wrote:
|
| Is this like VHS Beta and we will slowly see butane dissapear?
|
| Both are produced in the process of refining oil, so if butane were
| not sold then it would have to be burnt off.

More likely the cracking columns would be adjusted to give Propane rather
than Butane.

Dave F

Old October 1st 03, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
henry partridge

propane doesn't burn so hot and is daerer per kg. And personally I can
never get a decent seal on the damn thing, unlike the push on butane one.
Of course eventually we will be able to use either once the new regulator
takes over, can't be retro fitted unfortunately.

Old October 1st 03, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Helgina Koosmaen

Dave Fawthrop wrote in
:

Probably not. Butane has advantages for Summer only use.
Butane gives about 15% more cups of tea per bottle.
Butane gives about 5% more cups of tea per GBP.

What happens if you're not a tea drinker Dave?

;-) (sorry - couldn't resist but I prefer a coffee!)

Helly.