Camping and pressure sores

Old July 26th 03, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

Default Camping and pressure sores

This is probably a bit of a long shot (!) but can anybody recommend
methods of camping and preventing pressure problems?

I'm relatively immobile (wheelchair user) and have a tendency for
pressure problems, so at home I have an active pressure relieving
mattress. But I'm going camping in a field in August and there's not
going to be a power source, let alone posh moving mattresses.

The District Nurse suggested an airbed inflated just enough so I "sink
in" to it but without bottoming out, then setting an alarm for every
two hours so I know to turn over, and getting people to help me to
turn over when I need it.

Anybody any other suggestions?!!!

Doug

--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"(DSS) are evil, sadistic, megalomaniacs employed by a cold, heartless
Old July 26th 03, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Donegal Paul

"King Queen" wrote in message
This is probably a bit of a long shot (!) but can anybody recommend
methods of camping and preventing pressure problems?

I'm relatively immobile (wheelchair user) and have a tendency for
pressure problems, so at home I have an active pressure relieving
mattress. But I'm going camping in a field in August and there's not
going to be a power source, let alone posh moving mattresses.

The District Nurse suggested an airbed inflated just enough so I "sink
in" to it but without bottoming out, then setting an alarm for every
two hours so I know to turn over, and getting people to help me to
turn over when I need it.

Anybody any other suggestions?!!!

Yes, don't go camping.
Seriously Doug, ffs, if you are that immobile that you will need to set an
alarm because you don't naturally change position while asleep and then also
have to wake someone up to help you, really why are you doing it?
--
Donegal Paul
http://www.thepilgrimssc.co.uk

Old July 27th 03, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 10:45:03 +0100, "Jim"
wrote:

I don't agree with your statement but everyone is entitled to their own
opinion.. You might want to try Thermarest mattresses. Light and supportive
with none of the problems inherent in airbeds.

Cheers; I used to have one and they are fabulous but unfortunately
they don't distribute the pressure enough to stop pressure sores.

I think I agree with you on the DSS as a whole. The bureaucratic
incompetence isn't as the result of the people on the ground, who are
generally OK though hugely overstretched with the resultant lack of
performance on individual cases. But there are some obstructive nasty
people in the DSS as there are in all walks of life.

Doug

--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"How can we speak of the urgency of global crises without inducing
Old July 27th 03, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
P and J

Use an airbed that has cells instead of inflatable columns and partially
inflate the cells to help support the body in its natural contours. You
also may need an under-blanket - foam or fleece, as airbeds seem to invite
perspiration which will compromise your skin integrity (yes, I am a nurse).
Make sure your potential pressure areas (hips, heels, sacrum etc) are
additionally supported with padding.
Thinking about it - why not try a raised canvas camping bed with a folded
over quilt for softness underneath - should distribute your weight evenly
without compressing the bones against your skin.
Have a great time,
Jane

Old July 28th 03, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Donegal Paul

"King Queen" replied to "Donegal Paul"

Yes, don't go camping.
Seriously Doug, ffs, if you are that immobile that you will need to set

an
alarm because you don't naturally change position while asleep and then

also
have to wake someone up to help you, really why are you doing it?

Happily I won't have to wake somebody up - there will be people awake
at the gate all week - but I do it cos I really enjoy it.

Fair enough, sounded though in the original post that you would have to get
someone up especially to turn you.

If I stopped doing stuff cos I'm getting progressively disabled there
would be little point in staying alive. I won't let it bloody beat me.

I think its a bit extreme to say that theres little point in staying alive
due to progressive disablement. Although I agree with your determination.

Going camping is the highlight of my summer anyway! and I enjoy it too
much to stop. Everybody takes risks in life. Riding scooters is
probably more dangerous than me going camping :-)

Possibly, however, if it gets to a point where you are getting pressure
sores due to camping no matter what you try, then you of course will be
aware of the risks associated with that.

Old July 28th 03, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Donegal Paul

"King Queen" replied to "Jim"
I don't agree with your statement but everyone is entitled to their own
opinion.. You might want to try Thermarest mattresses. Light and

supportive
with none of the problems inherent in airbeds.

Cheers; I used to have one and they are fabulous but unfortunately
they don't distribute the pressure enough to stop pressure sores.

Have you contacted Huntleigh to see what they might recommend?

Old July 28th 03, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

Thankyou very much for the advice!

--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
Old July 28th 03, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:39:15 +0100, "Donegal Paul"
wrote:

What about a Nimbus 3 and get a pitch with electric hookup ? :-)

ooh it would be nice! but it's not going to happen - we're camping in
a field. Building composting bogs etc. and there will be solar / wind
power but that won't be enough to run a Nimbus 3!

We're going to the Earth First! Summer Gathering.

http://www.earthfirstgathering.org.uk