Pentewan sands & sandy balls

Old July 31st 03, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Peter Connolly

Default Pentewan sands & sandy balls

"Sarah Hodge" wrote in message
Hi everyone

I am heading towards my big summer holiday and wondering if anyone has
anything to offer on either of the sites that I will be staying on.
My first week in being spent at Pentewan sands in Mevagissey, and the

second
week at Sandy balls in the new forest.

Also any suggestion for days out while in the areas will be appreciated.

Many thanks

Sarah

Sarah,

Mevagissey....A good walk up the hill from Pentewan sands will get you to
the Lost Gardens of Heligan (don't worry, they're well sign-posted and quite
easy to find). Obviously, Eden is less than 10 miles away also. If you like
good food and real ale, the Rising Sun in PortMellon (next cove away from
Mevagissey) does Adnams real ale. Walkable from Mevagissey (20-30 minutes),
but probably a car drive from Pentewan Sands. Also don't forget to spend
some time in Charlestown if you like old sailing ships.

There is a Tourist Information Centre in Mevagissey where you can get lots
of information on days out, but for more info, let us know the makeup of the
party and your interests.

HTH,

Pete.
Derby. With friends in Mevagissey!

Old July 31st 03, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Sarah Hodge

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply,

We are taking our two children with us (3 & 6), so they will play a large
part in our choice of days out!
Although saying that a good pub is one thing one my list of places to visit
so many thanks for the recommendation for the Rising Sun.

I had been told that the lost gardens were a better day out than eden, would
you agree as I really don't think I'd be able to convince the kids to go to
both.

Many thanks

Sarah

Old August 1st 03, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Sarah Hodge

Wow!!

Thanks to both Ken and Pete for all those suggestions, we will be sure to
fill our days with the places that you have mentioned ( I'm sure that Bodmin
jail could come in very handy for a few late night threats!!)

Best wishes to you all

Sarah

"Peter Connolly" wrote in message
"Sarah Hodge" wrote in message
Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply,

We are taking our two children with us (3 & 6), so they will play a

large
part in our choice of days out!
Although saying that a good pub is one thing one my list of places to

visit
so many thanks for the recommendation for the Rising Sun.

I had been told that the lost gardens were a better day out than eden,

would
you agree as I really don't think I'd be able to convince the kids to go

both.

Ooh, I don't know much about entertaining children! If it's listed as

Child
friendly, I'd try to avoid it myself!!

but...

Why not go to both Eden and Heligan? They're different places, it's just
that they're both Gardens (OK, if I had to choose, I'd go for Heligan, but
only because I like old manor house gardens). Heligan
(http://www.heligan.com) is more natural than Eden - it's an old manor
house, which was abandoned when all the gardeners went off to war together
in one of the 'Pals' regiments, and left to run down; the Manure-heated
Pineapple greenhouses will (I'm sure) keep a 6-year old in stories for
months, as will the sculptures that you just fall over in the woods. Make
sure you walk down into the Jungle area....it's fantastic, and almost as
good as the 'Rain Forest' at Eden. Speaking of Eden
(http://www.edenproject.com), the best views are as you get off the bus or
walk from the car park. You can't see it from any of the approach roads at
all. The layout of the biomes looks like a big grub! (question for a six
year old...ask if they can see the THREE (OK four, now they've got
permission for the other one) biomes. They'll say that they can only see
two, but the third is the UK Temperate biome, in the open air!). When you

go
into the biomes, go into the right-most one first; this is the

Mediterranean
biome, and is interesting enough, but nothing to compare to the Rainforest
biome - magnificent, but very hot and humid; take water in with you, or at
least an empty bottle - you'll need it.

Once you've finished their education, you can spend a day at Flambards. A
theme park near Mevagissey, and thats about all I know about it!
(http://www.flambards.co.uk). Full of children, I hear, as is Shires
Adventure Park (http://www.cata.co.uk/shires/shires.htm) - I think

Flambards
is the most popular, but Shires is good if the children like horses; Shire
Horses in particular, oddly enough!

If they like trains, there is the Lappa Valley Steam Railway (or perhaps
just Dad likes it) (http://www.lappavalley.co.uk). Animals are always good
for a few hours; there is an aquarium (http://www.bluereefaquarium.co.uk),
and zoo (http://www.newquayzoo.co.uk) at Newquay (about 30-45minutes

drive).

If they want a boat ride, go to any port; but I can recommend the ferry

from
Mevagissey to Fowey (http://www.mevagissey-ferries.co.uk), which is a

30-40
minute ride, with a good chance of seeing Basking Sharks and Dolphins.

Hope these ideas get you going. Once you arrive in Cornwall, practically
every shop has leaflets telling you what's going on. Look out for

'TheGuide'
(http://www.theguide-cornwall.com), which is the biggest, and free.

Hope this helps!

Regards,