advice please

Old August 3rd 03, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Davo

Default advice please

want to start campin... what do we lok for in tents ?...
any help or advice what to buy etc etc ..
best VFM around ?
what accs do we need

sleeping bags, mats we do know but dont want to get somewhere and think ''oh
s**t'' we dont have it..

serious advice pls ANY help thankful

3 of us... wife myself and 6yr old

Old August 4th 03, 06:34 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Richard Craze

Default advice please - horsebox

Hi, can any help. We bought and converted a horsebox to make a large camper.
It works really well with a large luton for our three small boys to sleep in
and lots of room for us with a double bed etc. We have a ramp at the back
which we can let down and this transforms the living area into a sort of
outdoor area as well.
Ourtrouble is that most campsites turn their nose up when we appear.
Does any have a list of campsites or farmers fields where we might be
welcome. We aren't travellers or hippies, merely nice people who thought
they'd had a brilliant idea only to find out we might not have been so
clever.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Richard

Old August 4th 03, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
NJF

Richard Craze wrote:

Hi, can any help. We bought and converted a horsebox to make a large camper.
It works really well with a large luton for our three small boys to sleep in
and lots of room for us with a double bed etc. We have a ramp at the back
which we can let down and this transforms the living area into a sort of
outdoor area as well.
Ourtrouble is that most campsites turn their nose up when we appear.
Does any have a list of campsites or farmers fields where we might be
welcome. We aren't travellers or hippies, merely nice people who thought
they'd had a brilliant idea only to find out we might not have been so
clever.
Any ideas?

Join the camping and caravanning club and when you book (as a member) inform the
site you have a home-built camper van as your a d-i-y type. We had a home
converted Cadbury's delivery baby luton in the 70's and were the envy of a lot
of caravanners towing heavy cramped vans with underpowered cars, these days
however most people don't have either the skills or inclination to build their
own, and the situation with travellers and others only makes site owners more
wary....
I'm a little surprised you could find a good horse box for conversion as they
seem to be popular for those that want a truck but don't want to have the hassle
of tacho's and drivers hours, totally illegal of course, but that doesn't seem
to stop them.

Niel.

P.S. You might get more info from a caravanning/motor home type newsgroup as we
are *mainly* tent/trailer tent campers here.

Old August 4th 03, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Drew[_2_]

Goofy wrote:
Buy a trailer tent - loads easier.
Suggest a Pennine Aztec. Look to pay about 600 for a reasonable second hand
one.

"Davo" wrote in message

want to start campin... what do we lok for in tents ?...
any help or advice what to buy etc etc ..
best VFM around ?
what accs do we need

sleeping bags, mats we do know but dont want to get somewhere and think

''oh

s**t'' we dont have it..

serious advice pls ANY help thankful

3 of us... wife myself and 6yr old

On the whole I would agree with tha advice, they are really easy to tow,
give you bags of space, proper beds up off the ground and they have
plenty of space to stow your gear without filling the car to the
gunnels. I bought my 80's Raclet Iris for 150 quid, it needed a complete
chassis up rebuild, but I enjoy that kind of work.

If you decide to go for a traditional tent, I would recommend going to
one of the shows put on by shops where that set up loads of tents,
wander round, ask questions and buy one you like. My proper tent is a
Gelert Renesse, 3 man dome with large front living space, I have been
very happy with it, but when child number 2 arrived I decided more space
was required. hence the TT.

The problem with offering 'general' advice is that there are so many
variable that can affect your choice of gear. For example, will you be
staying at 'regular' sites or remote ones? If you are allways gong to be
at regular sites you may want to go for electric hook-up which means
electric lights and maybe a heater, or you could go for all gas, which
can endup a more expensive option for heating and lighting, but means
you are less reliant on the mainstream sites. (of course, if you will
only be caming in the high season, you will probably not need a heater)

Can you let us know more details of your camping plans?

Drew.