Heat and camping

Old August 6th 03, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

Default Heat and camping

I'm going camping next week, and it's likely it's going to be like it
is today. (They say the heat wave will last at least until after the
weekend.) There's nothing worse than waking up stifling in a tent at
9am after a few beers the night before, and having put on lots of
clothes as it's cool in the night!

Any suggestions for keeping cool?

Doug

--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and
Old August 6th 03, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jim :o\)

"King Queen" wrote in message
I'm going camping next week, and it's likely it's going to be like it
is today. (They say the heat wave will last at least until after the
weekend.) There's nothing worse than waking up stifling in a tent at
9am after a few beers the night before, and having put on lots of
clothes as it's cool in the night!

Any suggestions for keeping cool?

Doug

--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and
the last fish been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money" Cree

Someone's going to say this so it might as well be me. Try to stay off the
beer, alcohol causes de-hydration, etc. However you can do what I do. That's
have your beer, set the alarm for about 3 hours after you intend to turn in
and then, when the alarm goes off, a stagger down to the toilet block, a pee
and then back to your tent, minimum clothes and sleep.Alternatively go to
Boots and get their cool spray, knocks your heat down straight away.

Old August 6th 03, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook[_2_]

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:14:03 +0100, King Queen wrote:

I'm going camping next week, and it's likely it's going to be like it
is today. (They say the heat wave will last at least until after the
weekend.) There's nothing worse than waking up stifling in a tent at
9am after a few beers the night before, and having put on lots of
clothes as it's cool in the night!

Any suggestions for keeping cool?

Wear as little as possible at night, regulate your sleeping temperature by
unzipping the sleeping bag (from both ends if possible) if you are too hot or
zipping it up if too cold. Use a cotton (or if you are rich silk) liner to
alleviate the tootsies in the draught problem. Have a tent that has lots of
mesh panels in the inner. Leave the outer doors part open to create a through
draught - works best if you have two entrances. Pitch your tent so it will be in
shade in the morning.

Old August 6th 03, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
KGB[_2_]

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:19:56 +0100, Phil Cook
wrote:

[...]

Hi

Not UK, but my wife and myself often take our tent to the USA and camp
in the US Southwest desert. I remember once camping in the Southern
Arizona desert down near the Mexican border. It was out of season,
midweek and the only people at the campground were my wife and myself
plus the campsite "host", who told us that the thermometer in the
shade outside his caravan was reading 109 degrees.

We pitched our tent in the middle of the only clump of trees for miles
- the only shade available. That night, well after the sun had gone
down, we crawled into the tent to find the ground almost literally too
hot to touch. We took one look at each other, dragged our sleeping
bags out of the tent and slept on a picnic table each.

The hottest we ever "attempted" to camp was Death Valley in late
Summer (the phrase "innocents abroad" spring to mind). We pulled up
outside the visitor centre to ask where the nearest campground was,
took one look at the thermometer - 135 degrees in the shade - climbed
back into the car and drove to the nearest air conditioned motel at
Furnace Creek (aptly named).

As far as this country goes, if you are fairly sure it isn't going to
rain, you could always leave the flysheet off.

Regards

KGB
Old August 6th 03, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Kevin

Drink so much that you fall over outside and wake up about 11 am having peed
yourself and therefore cooled. Then to save yourself feeling embarrassed by
onlookers, have another couple and retire to the tent until dusk.

Old August 9th 03, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fran[_3_]

King Queen said...
There's nothing worse than waking up stifling in a tent at
9am after a few beers the night before, and having put on lots of
clothes as it's cool in the night!

Any suggestions for keeping cool?

Forget the tent and put your sleeping bag outside.