Any advice for combating insects?

Old August 18th 03, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Sonars UK

Default Any advice for combating insects?

Hi,

I've just returned from a weeks camping (in a tent) at Filey, North Yorks.

As soon as we finished setting up, our tent became a haven for money
spiders, tiny irritating flies and hornets. We hung a couple of insect
repellent strips in the tent but these only had a slight effect.

I know insects are to be expected when camping but they really were a
problem. Especially in the corners between the outers and inners above the
bedrooms. Also, when we returned from our days out and walked into the tent
we could feel spiders webs all over our faces. Nice!

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Sonars UK

Old August 18th 03, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
David Allan

I know insects are to be expected when camping but they really were a
problem. Especially in the corners between the outers and inners above the
bedrooms. Also, when we returned from our days out and walked into the

tent
we could feel spiders webs all over our faces...

I have noticed that bright yellow, a colour often used by tent manufactures,
is a bit of an insect magnet and you're spot on when you describe that place
at the apex between the inner and outer tent becoming an insect safari
park...

sadly though, I can't recomend a solution other that a quick spray of
inspect repellent every now and again (someone is sure to say it will damage
the proofing, but I have no personal eveidence of this as yet).

Regards... DAVID.

Old August 18th 03, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:22:48 +0100, "David Allan"
wrote:

I have noticed that bright yellow, a colour often used by tent manufactures,
is a bit of an insect magnet and you're spot on when you describe that place
at the apex between the inner and outer tent becoming an insect safari
park...

I've just come back from a field near Ripon, been there a week, and
the wasps were phenomenal. There must have been hundreds!

--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"As with most things, we are told how wonderful and lovely and legal and
Old August 18th 03, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Bryan Hall

As soon as we finished setting up, our tent became a haven for money
spiders, tiny irritating flies and hornets. We hung a couple of insect
repellent strips in the tent but these only had a slight effect.
Does anyone have any suggestions.

Rolled up newspaper?
Sorry
;-)

Old August 19th 03, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
KarlJ

Your going to think im a complete git for saying this...
Have you considered getting a book on insects? Then you could find out
what the insects are, how they live, and maybe even why they like your
warm tent so much

Seriously though, what it is that you dont like about them?

Old August 19th 03, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jim :o\)

Insects? Spiders? Hey, this is camping....What on earth did you expect you
went to Yorkshire. Yorkshire where the only thing free is insects. )

You could always get yourselves a bee-keeper's veil that would stop them
getting to your face if you sit out in an evening...and a good spray round
with insect killer before you close the tent to go away for the day would
help. If you are worried about the tent fabric spray onto J Cloths and hang
them up.

Last of all push a piece of smelly meat under your neighbours groundsheet
and let them have the problem. ;o)

Mind you Bryan Hall's suggestion of the rolled up newspaper is probably as
good a solution as any.

Old August 19th 03, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:22:59 +0100, "Jim \)"
wrote:

Last of all push a piece of smelly meat under your neighbours groundsheet
and let them have the problem. ;o)

Or a jam sandwich... These turned into wasp sandwiches with me last
week!

--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"King Queen and/or the infiltator are ******s IMHO. Net nannies are scum
Old August 19th 03, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
John Myers[_2_]

Nope better idea, sleep in B&B, leave the tent where it is.

--
Does living in Lincs make me a flatlander :-( ??

Remove the flatlands to reply by email.

Old August 19th 03, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
John Myers[_2_]

Insects? Spiders? Hey, this is camping....What on earth did you expect you
went to Yorkshire. Yorkshire where the only thing free is insects. )

Steady on there we can be quite generous ya know, i can distinctly remember
once buying someone a pint.
Ignore the Sig. at the bottom i'm a Yorkshireman abroad. Only temporary
though.

John

--
Does living in Lincs make me a flatlander :-( ??

Remove the flatlands to reply by email.
"Jim )" wrote in message
. ..

Old August 19th 03, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
John Myers[_2_]

hey up ar kid

--
Does living in Lincs make me a flatlander :-( ??

Remove the flatlands to reply by email.
"Jim )" wrote in message
. ..
Nice one John..I'm in 'ull so we're nearly neighbours. ;o)

)

Steady on there we can be quite generous ya know, i can distinctly

remember
once buying someone a pint.
Ignore the Sig. at the bottom i'm a Yorkshireman abroad. Only temporary
though.

John

--
Does living in Lincs make me a flatlander :-( ??

Remove the flatlands to reply by email.
"Jim )" wrote in message
. ..