Campsite rcomendation in or around Sherwood Forest Nottinghamshire?

Old August 26th 03, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
TribalKev

Default Campsite rcomendation in or around Sherwood Forest Nottinghamshire?

Has anyone got any recommendations for a nice campsite in the Sherwood
forest area?
Im thinking of going in September for a weekend with the wife and kids (5&3)
so would like somewhere with good facilities and maybe electric hook up.

Thanks Kev

Old August 27th 03, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
LizR

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:38:57 +0100, "TribalKev"
wrote:

Has anyone got any recommendations for a nice campsite in the Sherwood
forest area?
Im thinking of going in September for a weekend with the wife and kids (5&3)
so would like somewhere with good facilities and maybe electric hook up.

Thanks Kev

There's the excellent Thorntons Holt at Stragglethorpe near Nottingham.
http://www.thorntons-holt.co.uk/
It's fully booked this weekend, which segues neatly onto my question....

Does anyone know of a campsite near Nottingham that isn't fully booked this weekend
and is halfway decent (clean toilets and a play area) and that takes both tents and
children?

Many thanks,

Liz
Old August 28th 03, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
CJ

wrote:

Has anyone got any recommendations for a nice campsite in the Sherwood
forest area?
Im thinking of going in September for a weekend with the wife and kids

(5&3)
so would like somewhere with good facilities and maybe electric hook up.

Thanks Kev

There's the excellent Thorntons Holt at Stragglethorpe near Nottingham.
http://www.thorntons-holt.co.uk/
It's fully booked this weekend, which segues neatly onto my question....

Does anyone know of a campsite near Nottingham that isn't fully booked

this weekend
and is halfway decent (clean toilets and a play area) and that takes both

tents and
children?

Many thanks,

Liz

Clumber Park is in the Sherwood Forest area, and has Caravan Club and
Camping Club sites within its bounds. The latter is in the walled garden
and close to the central area. The location is handy for visits to the
forest and other local sights (we visited a mining museum years ago) and the
park itself is great for family cycling and walking.

CJ

Old August 28th 03, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
LizR

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:10:04 +0100, "CJ" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Thanks! I saw that one on the CCC website, it looks lovely but it's a bit far north
for our purposes.

I've just contacted the National Watersports Centre at Holme Pierrepont and their
campsite has pleny of spaces and free showers. They sounded very friendly, too. I'll
report back, shall I?

Old August 28th 03, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
brojimmaeus

"LizR" wrote in message

I've just contacted the National Watersports Centre at Holme

Pierrepont and their
campsite has pleny of spaces and free showers. They sounded very

friendly, too. I'll
report back, shall I?

I can vouch for them - very big, good facilities, including hot food at
certain times, and charming people.

James

Old August 28th 03, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

LizR wrote:

I've just contacted the National Watersports Centre at Holme Pierrepont

and their campsite has pleny of spaces and free showers. They sounded
very friendly, too. I'll report back, shall I?

Windswept, open and
cold as I remember it , but that was 15+ years ago.
Old August 31st 03, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
LizR

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:30:35 +0100, "brojimmaeus" wrote:

"LizR" wrote in message
.. .

I've just contacted the National Watersports Centre at Holme

Pierrepont and their
campsite has pleny of spaces and free showers. They sounded very

friendly, too. I'll
report back, shall I?

I can vouch for them - very big, good facilities, including hot food at
certain times, and charming people.

Bacon butties from 7:30 a.m apparently, though I didn't try 'em:-)

Basically, it's a big field with a scattering of trees and you can pitch where you
like. We got there on Friday and pitched in daylight a goodly distance from the tent
on either side, had our dins and went to bed listening to the eejits next door
braying over their barbecue. When I got up next morning I nearly tripped over the
extra tents that had joined them in the night. One, a huge Coleman, was almost on our
camping table! We know when we're beat, so we had a quick recce and picked another
corner, unpegged the tent and walked it across the field. The second night went much
better, despite being just down from a hen/stag night (honest!). They came back at
gone 3:00 but didn't disturb us at all (we only know because one of us woke up for
the loo).

The washing facilities were fine, plenty of them, but a little cramped. The hot water
was hot. The outside facilities are what you'd expect, standard leccy points for
those who wants, taps at intervals and big red Biffa containers for rubbish. These
last were just about overflowing by the time we left on Sunday, but perhaps that's
because it was the weekend.

The welcome was hugely friendly, as had been my phone contact with them. Two chaps
who seem truly happy in their jobs (nice to see:-) I didn't sample the shop/office
other than to pay, but it all looked clean and well stocked. Hubby bought 2 teas
there while we were packing up, and it was good strong tea:-)

The site could have done with a play area, but there was plenty of space for younger
campers to burn off their energy without getting underfoot. There seemed to be
several ball games going on and a number of kids with bikes. Outside the site there
are buggies and quad bikes apparently, plus all the watersports on offer. Their
website doesn't do them justice (it's really bad!), but we picked up a leaflet and I
think we'd have found a lot to do there if we hadn't had anything planned.

As it was, we were only there to go to Robot Wars:-)

Liz