tent advice..

Old September 10th 03, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fran[_3_]

Default tent advice..

sPoNiX said...
We've seen a few tents on ebay at good prices but none hasfully met
our requirements as yet..

Stuff on eBay rarely sells for what it's worth IMHO. Better by
far to buy from proper suppliers or a trusted source. I've
bought second hand stuff direct from sellers on the 'net and
been OK; I wouldn't buy from eBay though. Gut reaction mainly,
but even so...

If you're just looking for a tent for summer camping and don't
intend to be out in the October storms the tent in Millett's is
probably fine. My sincere apologies if I gave you the wrong
impression: you hadn't said what sort of use to which
you intended putting it. Mind you, if it's *bedrooms* you're
after... coo! Luxury! When it's just the two of us plus one
child we've taken to using the 3-man tent I bought in Lidl for
about 30. All 7 of us camping together and we get out the
various 2-man tents.... ooh! I've just realised! It's me who's
got the luxury, not you - I've got *detached* bedrooms! :-)
--

Fran
The email address in the headers is now a spamtrap; however
Old September 11th 03, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook[_2_]

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 23:29:31 +0100, Fran wrote:

sPoNiX said...
We've seen a few tents on ebay at good prices but none hasfully met
our requirements as yet..

Stuff on eBay rarely sells for what it's worth IMHO.

Did yoy see this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3624239601

Cheap at half the price in Argos :-)

Old September 11th 03, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fran[_3_]

Phil Cook said...
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 23:29:31 +0100, Fran wrote:

sPoNiX said...
We've seen a few tents on ebay at good prices but none hasfully met
our requirements as yet..

Stuff on eBay rarely sells for what it's worth IMHO.

Did yoy see this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3624239601

Cheap at half the price in Argos :-)

Is that the Pro-Action with the ludicrously high bids/reserve?
Daft, innit.

Old September 12th 03, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
sPoNiX

wrote:

sPoNiX said...
We've seen a few tents on ebay at good prices but none hasfully met
our requirements as yet..

Stuff on eBay rarely sells for what it's worth IMHO. Better by
far to buy from proper suppliers or a trusted source. I've
bought second hand stuff direct from sellers on the 'net and
been OK; I wouldn't buy from eBay though. Gut reaction mainly,
but even so...

*Some* stuff is cheaper on there..the main problem I have had is
finding the websites for some of the manufacturers, hence the wish to
go for a recognised brand.

If you're just looking for a tent for summer camping and don't
intend to be out in the October storms the tent in Millett's is
probably fine.

Unfortunately Millets decided to discontinue that particular tent
three days before I went to the shop to buy one

My sincere apologies if I gave you the wrong
impression: you hadn't said what sort of use to which
you intended putting it. Mind you, if it's *bedrooms* you're
after... coo! Luxury!

We went camping in a frame tent earlier this year and found that
storage space was a bit of a problem. If we can get a tent with a
spare bedroom the idea is to store the stuff in there.

The frame tent we have is going a bit manky, is heavy work to put up
and because it's canvas takes up the entire boot of the car. This
means we have to take two cars away camping and I find the heavy
canvas gives me backache! We want to get something that packs up
smaller and is easier to put up.

When it's just the two of us plus one
child we've taken to using the 3-man tent I bought in Lidl for
about 30. All 7 of us camping together and we get out the
various 2-man tents....

We could do that I suppose but want a tent that'll last us a few years
and we hope to have more kids real soon.

ooh! I've just realised! It's me who's
got the luxury, not you - I've got *detached* bedrooms! :-)

Snob!

sPoNiX
Old September 12th 03, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
sPoNiX

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:42:11 +0100, Phil Cook
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 23:29:31 +0100, Fran wrote:

sPoNiX said...
We've seen a few tents on ebay at good prices but none hasfully met
our requirements as yet..

Stuff on eBay rarely sells for what it's worth IMHO.

Did yoy see this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3624239601

Cheap at half the price in Argos :-)

Silly innit? It never ceases to amaze me the number of buyers that
don't research prices beforehand.

sPoNix
Old September 12th 03, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

sPoNiX wrote:

When it's just the two of us plus one
child we've taken to using the 3-man tent I bought in Lidl for
about 30. All 7 of us camping together and we get out the
various 2-man tents....

We could do that I suppose but want a tent that'll last us a few years
and we hope to have more kids real soon.

If you're planning to concieve whilst camping could you keep the noise
down please?

--
Marc
Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc
Old September 12th 03, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris French

In message . uk, marc
writes
sPoNiX wrote:

When it's just the two of us plus one
child we've taken to using the 3-man tent I bought in Lidl for
about 30. All 7 of us camping together and we get out the
various 2-man tents....

We could do that I suppose but want a tent that'll last us a few years
and we hope to have more kids real soon.

If you're planning to concieve whilst camping could you keep the noise
down please?

Or did they mean to give birth while camping....??

On the topic of tents have you looked at the Kyham range? A bit like a
cross between a frame tent and a 'normal ' tent.

in particular the Rigidome range. Plenty of height, ground sheets
throughout if you wish, with flexibility of the inner space as the inner
in each 'bedroom ' area can be removed, and usually you can larger or
smaller inners as well.

The Tourer 600 looks like it might fit your needs, or something like the
Classic XXL maybe.

They aren't cheap, but are good value IMO. We and others have posted
here before about them (search Google Groups)

http://www.khyam.co.uk/ridgidome.asp
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old September 12th 03, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

Chris French wrote:

We could do that I suppose but want a tent that'll last us a few years
and we hope to have more kids real soon.

If you're planning to concieve whilst camping could you keep the noise
down please?

Or did they mean to give birth while camping....??

That's no problem, I don't get jealous about that.
Old September 12th 03, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Niles

Chris French wrote:

|In message . uk, marc
writes
|If you're planning to concieve whilst camping could you keep the noise
|down please?
|
|Or did they mean to give birth while camping....??

I'm not sure that would be any quieter...

Niles, Nottingham |
outpages.com/nilex | Evil sitcom proves the Devil makes
ICQ 12724766 | work for Ardal O'Hanlan
www.niles.org.uk |
Old September 12th 03, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fran[_3_]

sPoNiX said...
When it's just the two of us plus one
child we've taken to using the 3-man tent I bought in Lidl for
about 30. All 7 of us camping together and we get out the
various 2-man tents....

We could do that I suppose but want a tent that'll last us a few years
and we hope to have more kids real soon.

Such as how many? Two adults in one tent; two girls in another;
the three boys in the third. That still leaves me with two more
small tents if I need the extra storage space... Mind you, I
freely admit that it's not an arrangement I'd be happy using if
all my 5 children were very young. Say what you like about
teenagers, having one of each is very handy in situations such
as the one above, when I want an older girl in with the 3 yr old
and an older boy in with the 8 and 5 year olds. Plus, of
course, teenagers - mine are 13 and 15 - can help with cooking
and the molishment of copious quantities of tea/coffee :-)