Sleeping Bags - Your View's Please...

Old September 21st 03, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
iZZy

Default Sleeping Bags - Your View's Please...

Hello there ,

after many years of use my very old sleeping bag is now looking
abit tatty - so it was the usual trip around the camping stores at the
weekend....

Now I like abit of room , but has anyone had any realworld experiance
of these "mummy" bags - or would a traditional shape bag be better ??

I only camp from the back of a car so weight isn't a problem and only
require a 2 season bag.....

Thanks for your views..
Old September 21st 03, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Simon[_3_]

"iZZy" wrote in message
Hello there ,

after many years of use my very old sleeping bag is now looking
abit tatty - so it was the usual trip around the camping stores at the
weekend....

Now I like abit of room , but has anyone had any realworld experiance
of these "mummy" bags - or would a traditional shape bag be better ??

I only camp from the back of a car so weight isn't a problem and only
require a 2 season bag.....

Thanks for your views..

I think Mummy bags close up around you to keep any draughts out and are
warmer - they move with you rather than you move in.

Old September 21st 03, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
LizR

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 23:17:50 +0100, iZZy wrote:

Now I like abit of room , but has anyone had any realworld experiance
of these "mummy" bags - or would a traditional shape bag be better ??

Depends if you ever want to zip 2 together:-)

Liz
Old September 21st 03, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 23:17:50 +0100, iZZy wrote:

after many years of use my very old sleeping bag is now looking
abit tatty - so it was the usual trip around the camping stores at the
weekend....

Mine's looking exceedingly tatty but I love it - just had the zip
repalced. Mind you I'm 6'7" so finding a new bag would be very
difficult!

Now I like abit of room , but has anyone had any realworld experiance
of these "mummy" bags - or would a traditional shape bag be better ??

Oh yes, mummy bags are infinitely better than the old style ones - you
won't believe the difference. Lighter, easier to carry, warmer, more
flexible - all round much better.

Tip: get one wth a zip on the side you would find most easy!

Cheers

--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"Advertising is the rattling of a stick in a swill bucket" George Orwell
Old September 22nd 03, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jim :o\)

"LizR" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 23:17:50 +0100, iZZy wrote:

Now I like abit of room , but has anyone had any realworld experiance
of these "mummy" bags - or would a traditional shape bag be better ??

Depends if you ever want to zip 2 together:-)

Liz

We have no problems zipping two mummy bags together, however, we do have
matched left and right bags from the same manufacturer so this is maybe the
answer...they are different tog levels so they aren't that identical..

Are there normally problems with zipping together?

We like the mummy bags zipped together because there's enough room to move
and you have nice small ends to keep your feet warm.

Old September 22nd 03, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
LizR

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 08:36:45 +0100, "Jim \)" wrote:

"LizR" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 23:17:50 +0100, iZZy wrote:

Now I like abit of room , but has anyone had any realworld experiance
of these "mummy" bags - or would a traditional shape bag be better ??

Depends if you ever want to zip 2 together:-)

Liz

We have no problems zipping two mummy bags together, however, we do have
matched left and right bags from the same manufacturer so this is maybe the
answer...they are different tog levels so they aren't that identical..

Are there normally problems with zipping together?

We like the mummy bags zipped together because there's enough room to move
and you have nice small ends to keep your feet warm.

The zip on my kid's mummy bag doesn't go all the way down, so I didn't think you'd be
able to zip 2 together. Doesn't it mean you have your feet in different compartments

Liz
Old September 22nd 03, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook[_2_]

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:10:57 GMT, LizR wrote:

Are there normally problems with zipping together?

We like the mummy bags zipped together because there's enough room to move
and you have nice small ends to keep your feet warm.

The zip on my kid's mummy bag doesn't go all the way down, so I didn't think you'd be
able to zip 2 together. Doesn't it mean you have your feet in different compartments

The conventional design of mummy bag has a zip that goes down to the ankles so
your feet are in different compartments but if you want to wander there isn't
much stopping you. Interestingly as long as the zips are compatible you can zip
together any two bags. If they are both of the same hand the bags end up facing
each other rather than being side by side if they are of differing hands.

Old September 22nd 03, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jim :o\)

"LizR" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 08:36:45 +0100, "Jim \)"

wrote:

"LizR" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

It certainly does..and considering the freezing cold feet on the end of my
wife's legs I'm grateful for the separation. Mmmm, lovely warm feet in my
side of the bag..Siberian Hinterland in hers.

Jim

Old September 23rd 03, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
LizR

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:49:58 +0100, "Jim \)" wrote:

It certainly does..and considering the freezing cold feet on the end of my
wife's legs I'm grateful for the separation. Mmmm, lovely warm feet in my
side of the bag..Siberian Hinterland in hers.

That's why I asked. Without the heat-generator I married it wouldn't be all that snug
on my side.

Liz
Old September 23rd 03, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jim :o\)

wrote:

It certainly does..and considering the freezing cold feet on the end of

my
wife's legs I'm grateful for the separation. Mmmm, lovely warm feet in

my
side of the bag..Siberian Hinterland in hers.

That's why I asked. Without the heat-generator I married it wouldn't be

all that snug
on my side.

Liz

I'm sure he'll warm your feet up, Liz, there's plenty of space in the foot
sections for 4 feet, and if not then it's easy for you to migrate. I often
find my wife snuggled up and her feet sharing the foot section of my
sleeping bag. (Very cosy)

Jim