packing wet tents

Old September 25th 03, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Mezza

Default packing wet tents

Hi,
Can anyone tell me the best way to pack up the tent when raining (or when
wet) and any aftercare I should be aware of.
I'd like to know as I've just bought a new one and want to keep it in good
condition.

Thanks all
Mezza

Old September 25th 03, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Graham Drabble

On 25 Sep 2003 "Mezza" wrote in
:

Hi,
Can anyone tell me the best way to pack up the tent when raining

Quicckly so you don't get too wet doing it! I tend to simply put the
poles and pegs in there bag and role them and the tent bag up loosely
inside the tent / fly and then tie loosely with string.

(or when wet) and any aftercare I should be aware of.
I'd like to know as I've just bought a new one and want to keep
it in good
condition.

Try it out as soon as possible, preferably the same day in a way that
can get air to it. Putting it up in the garage / loft can work if it's
still raining. You could also simply pitch it in the back garden and
wait for dry weather before taking it down. What you want to avoid is a
wet / damp tent spending time scrunched up without airflow.
--
Graham Drabble
If you're interested in what goes on in other groups or want to find
Old September 25th 03, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook[_2_]

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:29:27 +0100, Mezza wrote:

Hi,
Can anyone tell me the best way to pack up the tent when raining (or when
wet) and any aftercare I should be aware of.
I'd like to know as I've just bought a new one and want to keep it in good
condition.

Pack it as well and as quickly as you can. Wet tents are harder to pack because
they are slippery and always seem bulkier.

I always pack the fly of my Terra Nova Trisar (2 man semi geodesic dome) in a
carrier bag and keep it separate from the inner in an attempt to keep that
drier. The important thing is to get the tent dry as soon as possible and NEVER
EVER put it away wet.

Old September 25th 03, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

wrote:

Hi,
Can anyone tell me the best way to pack up the tent when raining

Try not to :-) But there's no special way...

(or when
wet) and any aftercare I should be aware of.

You need to get it dry as soon as possible. Put it up somewhere
properly. Don't just drape the canvases over a washing line or
something though cos they've got a tendency to shrink if you do that
and you'll find the door zip doesn't close any more or something; you
need to keep it stretched out over the poles.

Don't leave it damp for more than a couple of days or you'll get
milldew (or rather your tent will :-)

--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"Itís really not a number Iím terribly interested in." General Colin
Old September 25th 03, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JayBee

"Mezza" wrote in message
Hi,
Can anyone tell me the best way to pack up the tent when raining (or when
wet) and any aftercare I should be aware of.
I'd like to know as I've just bought a new one and want to keep it in

good
condition.

Thanks all
Mezza

Not so important how you pack it, but more important that you unpack it as
soon as possible (preferably withing 24 hours).

You need to get the tent erected again so that mildew spores don't have a
chance to get a hold in the fabric. If your tent is cotton it is important
not just to drape it to dry - even if it is raining when you get home put
the tent up again and leave it out until it stops raining and gets to dry.

Jaybee

Old September 25th 03, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
chris French[_2_]

In message , King Queen
writes
wrote:

Hi,
Can anyone tell me the best way to pack up the tent when raining

Try not to :-) But there's no special way...

(or when
wet) and any aftercare I should be aware of.

You need to get it dry as soon as possible. Put it up somewhere
properly. Don't just drape the canvases over a washing line or
something though cos they've got a tendency to shrink if you do that
and you'll find the door zip doesn't close any more or something; you
need to keep it stretched out over the poles.

This can be a problem with canvas/cotton tents, I don't think the same
applies to nylon or polyester flysheets.

Certainly I've never bothered putting my Spacepacker up to dry it, I
just hang it under the carport, or from the line
--
Chris French

Old September 26th 03, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 23:03:13 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , King Queen
writes
wrote:

Hi,
Can anyone tell me the best way to pack up the tent when raining

Try not to :-) But there's no special way...

(or when
wet) and any aftercare I should be aware of.

You need to get it dry as soon as possible. Put it up somewhere
properly. Don't just drape the canvases over a washing line or
something though cos they've got a tendency to shrink if you do that
and you'll find the door zip doesn't close any more or something; you
need to keep it stretched out over the poles.

This can be a problem with canvas/cotton tents, I don't think the same
applies to nylon or polyester flysheets.

I had one that went a funny shape and the door stopped closing easily

--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"As with most things, we are told how wonderful and lovely and legal and
Old September 26th 03, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Julie Meikle

When car camping, if my VE-25 is wet I try to hang it somewhere for 30
minutes to drip....then spread it out over the back seat of the
car.....lovely & dry by the time I get home! Not so sure about the seats
though! If it is pouring I have a few bin bags to hand to pack the fly
separately then the inner goes over the back seat!!....at least the
banisters can cope with one part!

I find it takes ages to dry, unlike cheap tents that seem to dry very
quickly......bit irritating as others pack up much more quickly.
Julie

"King Queen" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 23:03:13 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , King Queen
writes

Old September 29th 03, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JayBee

"Mark Gowans" wrote in message
...and if you haven't followed the advice above (or just got unlucky) -

any
good advice on getting rid of those mildew spores? ;o)

You can stop the mildrew spreading and kill the spores with a very mild
bleach solution, but you probably won't get the stains off. Trouble with
mildew is that it weakens the fabric, even though you can't always see the
damage immediately.

Try the mild bleach solution, rinse well and dry thoroughly. Alternatively,
if its a panel could it be replaced?

Jaybee