Caravan Banter

Caravan Banter (https://www.caravanbanter.co.uk/)
-   UK Camping (https://www.caravanbanter.co.uk/uk-camping/)
-   -   New Campers (https://www.caravanbanter.co.uk/12285-new-campers.html)

Andy[_3_] September 29th 03 03:34 PM

New Campers

We are not exactly new to camping, but sort of returning to it after a few
years.
We need to know where we can get a pre made power board to provide us with
electric power.
Also are there many sites which allow hook up for tents.
What about a generator? Does anyone use one?

Thanks for any help.

Andy.

Stuart Bell September 29th 03 05:03 PM

New Campers

Try towsure - www.towsure.co.uk?

--
Spamfritterspam exists only in the world of the address
harvesting spam bot. Try stuartsmacs at the same domain

John[_3_] September 30th 03 12:28 AM

New Campers

"Andy" wrote in message
We are not exactly new to camping, but sort of returning to it after a few
years.
We need to know where we can get a pre made power board to provide us with
electric power.
Also are there many sites which allow hook up for tents.
What about a generator? Does anyone use one?

Thanks for any help.

Andy.

Andy,
Generators are not allowed on many sites due to the noise some of them make,
and I think you would get a few complaints from your "neighbours" if it was
running late into the night.
John

Andy[_3_] September 30th 03 01:36 PM

New Campers

Thanks John,
At my age I should have thought of that :)
Andy.

Andy[_3_] September 30th 03 01:36 PM

New Campers

Thank you Stuart,
I had a look and they seem to sell only the 'ends'. Is the cable 3 core? Can
I make one up myself?
Thanks again.
Andy.

"Stuart Bell" wrote in message
. com...

JayBee September 30th 03 03:23 PM

New Campers

"Andy" wrote in message
Thank you Stuart,
I had a look and they seem to sell only the 'ends'. Is the cable 3 core?

Can
I make one up myself?
Thanks again.
Andy.

If you do a search on google for "mobile mains units camping" you'll come up
with a fair few UK retailers who stock them.

Hope that helps

Jaybee

Sarah Hodge September 30th 03 04:43 PM

New Campers

Hi,

I got mine from

http://www.abc-camping.co.uk/details..._ProductID=378

HTH

Sarah

"Stuart Bell" wrote in message
pex.com...
Andy wrote:

Thank you Stuart,
I had a look and they seem to sell only the 'ends'. Is the cable 3 core?

Can
I make one up myself?

You can, but the ones I've seen have ECLB, 'fuse box' and covered
sockets all in one neat plastic box that clips to a tent pole. Try a
caravanning magazine, or google search, talking of which, typing

'mains power tents uk' into google gives the kind of thing I was meaning
at http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/general/hookup.htm

but I think/hope you can beat those prices!

Stuart

Andrew[_3_] September 30th 03 05:58 PM

New Campers

Andy wrote:

We are not exactly new to camping, but sort of returning to it after a

few
years.
We need to know where we can get a pre made power board to provide us

with
electric power.

Try towsure - www.towsure.co.uk?

--
Spamfritterspam exists only in the world of the address
harvesting spam bot. Try stuartsmacs at the same domain
if you want to email me.

Andy,
It's easy enough to make up a hook-up lead yourself. All you need is a 240V,
16A plug (blue, round 3 pin), a length of arctic cable and a socket(s) for
the tent end. You could put an RCD-protected socket on but they are very
expensive and most (all?) site supplies are protected anyway.
The whole lot will only cost about 12 ~ 15 to make (unless you get the
sparkies in work to make one up, then it's free!)

Andrew

Stuart Bell September 30th 03 08:39 PM

New Campers

Andrew wrote:

Andy,
It's easy enough to make up a hook-up lead yourself. All you need is a 240V,
16A plug (blue, round 3 pin), a length of arctic cable and a socket(s) for
the tent end. You could put an RCD-protected socket on but they are very
expensive and most (all?) site supplies are protected anyway.
The whole lot will only cost about 12 ~ 15 to make (unless you get the
sparkies in work to make one up, then it's free!)

Andrew

I think you'll find that some site owners (eg C&C club) demand an ELCB
and overload protection in the unit.